I need new kicks.. HELP!

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
melissa
Johnny Miles

I need new kicks.. HELP!

Postby melissa » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:35 pm

Le sigh.. I need new shoes.. again...... :cry:

The moto 3s didnt work for me. After only 6months and a couple hundred ks, they left my feet in rather bad shape after my first 1/2 marathon last weekend. A cushioning shoe was a bad choice since I'm a slight protonator. It would seem I need some guidance since I'm losing toenails #s 2 and 3. :oops:

Any advice for a light stability shoe.. something good for winter runs as well.
The miracle isn't that I finished.. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.
"Just listen to your heart.. That's what I do" -Napoleon Dynamite

Next: Hypothermic 1/2 Marathon - Feb. 26 - SJ

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:39 pm

Oh yes.. I forgot to mention that I really liked the cushioning in the Motos.

I hope, Oh! I hope! there is a Running Fairy out there who combined the forces of a cushy ride with motion control!
The miracle isn't that I finished.. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:41 pm

Ever try the Asics DS Trainers?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:21 am

As with Andy, I'd check out a couple of different models of Asics. They've got a couple of performance/stability combos they are not too heavy.

Also, I have a few friends who love their Adidas and Mizunos. Worth a shot.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Run26.2
Jerome Drayton

Postby Run26.2 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:46 am

I swear by my Asics...love the GT-2100's....have worn a few other models of Asics as well and they have never steered my feet in the wrong direction... 8)
"...twenty miles of hope, six miles of truth..."
21 marathons since 2001......up next, CND Army half-marathon in Sept. and Toronto Waterfront marathon in Oct.

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:54 am

From what I've heard, Cushioning shoes aren't always "softer" than other shoes. It's just a term they use for the style. You need a neutral shoe, not cushioning, and maybe go up a size in shoes. Comfort should be the only thing you care about, not style, and not the color of the shoes.

Training smart demands that you take care of your feet. losing 20% of your toenails after your 1st half doesn't bode well for your longevity in this sport.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:57 am

See Melissa, when I am not hammered, I don't talk about them at all

Have a great day, Brooks.. :D
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:15 am

Melissa,

I just forked out 200 bucks for the Asics Kayano because I was told they were the best for what I needed. Having ran in them for a few weeks, frankly, my feet are killing me.

Yesterday I switched to the Asics Nimbus. They are a cushioning shoe, neutral support. I think the Kayano was just a bit too structured for me, and the Nibmbus is definately softer.

Check out the Runners World website. They offer a "Shoe Finder" plus you can access their Shoe Review. I seem to recall a couple of their reviews mentioning the Mizuno Wave Creation as a cushioned stability shoe as well as the new Wave Inspire. There is an Adidas model that provides those components as well.

Hopefully I haven't made you more confused!!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:08 pm

The max motos were suggested to me as well, so maybe we have similar feet.

If you run in cushioning shoes, try the Saucony Trigons (responsive- not the durable ones because they're super heavy). They are $129, but last years' model is pretty much identical and you may find it cheaper on froogle.com. They are soft, cushioning, and the great thing about those shoes is that Saucony doesn't seem to change them- fingers crossed. I've had like 10 pairs.

The others you might like could be Asics Gel Nimbus- they are really soft and cushiony as well, but the price isn't- $179. Yikes. They're cute though- they come in hot pink. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:34 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've heard lots about Asics. My first running shoe was the 1090s.. bad choice! I tried on 2100s, but we'll see! I'm taking a few weeks of running to get some xtraining in before school starts. So there's plenty of time to take in more product reviews. 8)

I'm a size7, but my Motos are 8s, so there is a good thumbnail width between the tip and my toe. My feet were an impressive mess about Sunday's race, lemme tell ya! Jacob can vouch for me there. :D

I tried out a few Saucony neutral shoes.. and I could tell you right off the bat they were not for me.

Thanks guys!! :wink:
Last edited by melissa on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacob42.2
Bill Crothers

Postby jacob42.2 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:04 pm

Wow, you've got fire in the belly Melissa. As I've said before, the shoe's you have now suck. But also, the socks you were wearing before the half didn't help with the blisters. As for the shoes, I train in Asics 1100's. They've been the only shoe able to handle the high mileage, and keep on performing. I know you didn't like the first pair you had, and neither did I. At all. They take some getting used to. But once you form a strong relationship with them, they're a thing of beauty.
PB's: 5k: 16:40 10K: 34:59 21.1: 1:17:16 Marathon: 02:50:47
RUNNING MANIA #2

LILSPARK
Tom Longboat

Asics

Postby LILSPARK » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:00 pm

Hey Melissa, I have the Asics gel Nimbus v11, Dani calls them the Gucci shoes :lol: I just ran the same half as you and found afterward they still feel great, they are pricey so if you find a running room discount for 20% off it would be good to take advantage. I do have a couple of bruised toes, but that was from the run downhill before the bridge. I hope you find a good shoe for you! 8)

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:15 pm

I am neutral as well, and I land on my heels when I run. I wear Brooks Glycerin 2, and they are light and offer satisfying cushioning and support.

I did try on three or four other pairs in the store, and ran around in them, but these felt the best for me.

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:24 pm

Well, from the tread wear on my shoes..I have a penchant for pushing off on my baby toes.. which could explain the blisters and black toenails :oops:

Also, yes the think cotton athletic socks could have been a major factor. I ran my 1/2 in 'running socks' and my feet were in need of lots of TLC. I'm learning everthing the hard way.. which is fine for me. I've toughed much worse than a couple blisters.
Last edited by melissa on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

melissa
Johnny Miles

Re: Asics

Postby melissa » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:27 pm

LILSPARK wrote:Hey Melissa, I have the Asics gel Nimbus v11, Dani calls them the Gucci shoes :lol: I just ran the same half as you and found afterward they still feel great, they are pricey so if you find a running room discount for 20% off it would be good to take advantage. I do have a couple of bruised toes, but that was from the run downhill before the bridge. I hope you find a good shoe for you! 8)

Awesome!! You beat me by 3minutes :D Are you from NB? I live in fredericton right now, but i will be moving to Saint John in Sept for school.

I was also at Catch the Bug! T1:01:32
We should go for a run! :D

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:11 pm

Asics Keyano's for me... been through a few pairs of them over the 2 years, not one black toenail or blister. :) was told they were the cadillac of running shoes. Everything else I tried ruined my feet or hurt my joints.. had to try a few different brands before I got the one that worked.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:57 pm

I swear by my Asics 2100's. They are the best shoe I have ran in, it took me a lot of years to find this out. Now they are my best running buddies!

Jocelyn 8)

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:11 pm

Melissa, do you wear orthotics? If not, maybe you should look into them. I have worn the Saucony Trigons and loved them except for the low milage but that might just be me.

Anyway, a trip to a pedorthist might be in order.

Scott

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:27 am

No, I dont wear orthotics.

I might give the motos another shot. They were great up until these last couple runs. Considering I wimped out of training for the 1/2 marathon... without a run for the last 2 months my feet just weren't ready for 21.1kms. Could be as simple as that. Or maybe I'm just not the running type, would be the most obvious.

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:12 pm

TA-DA!

Thought you'd like to know I found my new kicks today! Thanks to the helpful RR employees, I'm going for the Mizuno Mavericks :)

Now, to get $160... Student loan, baby!

8)

Racer
Tom Longboat

Postby Racer » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:19 pm

Now, to get $160... Student loan, baby!

Hahaha i did this too last year right before school started. Thank goodness for visa. :P

melissa
Johnny Miles

Postby melissa » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Ugh.. Visa sure does love me! hehhe :?

I got my assessment from student loan yesterday which was as expected. And I was rewarded a $5000 grant! (Which I dont have to pay back!! *dance*) Which is sa-weet because I can afford my lavish up-town apartment. 8)

I can't wait until the day I can say "I owe you nothing!"

One day, my friend... one day... :D

Return to “Gearing Up”