Replacement for Garmin 610 - TomTom Multisport

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Replacement for Garmin 610

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:01 pm

La wrote:Interesting thing about this watch is that I can use it in the pool (it has a swim mode). That might actually entice me to swim (once) just to try it out! :lol: It doesn't work in open water, though.

So... why was I not supposed to use my Garmin in the pool? :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:Interesting thing about this watch is that I can use it in the pool (it has a swim mode). That might actually entice me to swim (once) just to try it out! :lol: It doesn't work in open water, though.

So... why was I not supposed to use my Garmin in the pool? :)

You're not. And neither should I. ;)

I'm just curious about how it works! :)

We should have a separate thread to debate whether using a watch (as opposed to the pool clock) is beneficial in swimming. Hard core swim coaches will be adamantly against using a watch. Tri-geeks who do most of their training on their own (as opposed to with a swim club) will usually be pro-watch (unless they come from a swim background).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:43 pm

La wrote:We should have a separate thread to debate whether using a watch (as opposed to the pool clock) is beneficial in swimming. Hard core swim coaches will be adamantly against using a watch. Tri-geeks who do most of their training on their own (as opposed to with a swim club) will usually be pro-watch (unless they come from a swim background).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48849&p=1512329#p1512329 :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 pm

I have the TomTom Runner Cardio as well- I like it. I find it quite intuitive to use, and I like that it's a lot lighter and slimmer than my old 205.

I had a bit of trouble with the first one I had- I had the battery crap out 6 hours into a 50K race (tech support said that it was likely that the tree cover and terrain were causing it to search constantly for signal, which caused it to drain more quickly), and then when I got to the start line of the 65k a few weeks ago and looked it, it showed that it was dead, which it wasn't. When I got home and plugged it into the computer it popped up right away showing a full battery.

I sent it back and got it replaced with no trouble at all.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Replacement for Garmin 610 - TomTom Multisport

Postby La » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 am

So now, after using this watch for a few different types of workouts, here is my feedback:

Pros:
- Really simple
- Slim, sleek design
- Can use it in the pool as well as on the treadmill
- Has most of the features I was looking for at a much lower price point than equivalent Garmin watches
- "Demo" mode allows you to play around with the watch and settings without it constantly trying to find a signal when you're indoors (just have to remember to take it out of demo mode before your next workout).
- Can enable "lock" mode, which prevents you from accidentally stopping the watch and ending your workout (you have to press and hold the pause/stop button for 3 seconds to stop it)
- Auto uploads data to MapMyFitness and can also export the .FIT file to any other program that uses that format (e.g., Strava).
- Satellite pre-loading by computer (automatic, if you've connected your watch to your computer within the last 3 days), so it has a cache of your recent runs, making it easier/quicker to lock in on a signal.

Cons (for me, might not be for all):
- No auto-pause: this is an issue when cycling because I want the timer to stop when I am stopped at a light. If I have to press the pause button each time, there's a risk that I might forget to start it again, thereby ruining my workout data.
- For a multi-sport watch, it's a big disappointment that it doesn't have a multi-sport mode! That means if you were to use it in a multi-sport race you'd have to end one workout and start the next (meaning, each would be saved as separate events, so no continuous tracking of your race from swim to bike to run). Also, with a max of 10 hours in GPS mode, it wouldn't work for most people doing Ironman (not that this would be an issue for me :lol: ).
- Can't have more than one "mode" running at a time (e.g., auto-lap at the same time as HR and/or pace target zones). You have to pick which mode you want to use for each particular workout. With the Garmin, these are just settings you turn on/off in the background.
- Can't customize the screen display beyond selecting which two additional metrics will display on top. [ETA: I figured out how to look at the other stats during the workout, even when the timer is paused - just scroll up or down using the directional button]
- Can't review your laps on the watch immediately after a workout. You have to download the data - either to your phone via Bluetooth (which is immediate), or your computer (which is what I do because there isn't a BB app for this).
[ETA: I discovered how to review the stats on the watch itself after the workout is over. It's just not easy to find.]

Weird stuff:
- When in chrono mode (for when you're not running/cycling/swimming but still want to keep track of your workout), you can track/store laps either by pressing the main button, or by just touching the screen. I had the watch attached to the handlebars of the spin bike and somewhere in the middle of my workout it kept tracking laps every few seconds, but I didn't know why. :think: I finally realized that my sweat was dripping off my forehead onto the face of the watch and it was activating the touch screen! :lol:

In retrospect, the FR310xt might have been a better watch for me, but it's pretty bulky. The 910xt would be better, but it's twice the price.
Last edited by La on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks for the review.

Can it only export .fit files or also .gpx?

eta: i see from the dcrainmaker review that it also exports .gpx if it's a gps-data file -- which is better for things like strava or garmin connect.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:03 am

I bought a Bluetooth-enabled HRM strap to wear with the TomTom (brand is Pyle, it was on sale through Amazon for $45). It paired up with my watch quite quickly and I wore it for the first time during my TM run this morning. OMG, the chaffing is unbearable! :x I have a huge red welt across my torso from the bottom edge of the strap. :shock:

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't think the Mio works with the Tom Tom, but I'm loving the wrist feature and the end of the chafe-crazy HRM strap of the Garmin.

http://www.thisisant.com/directory/mio-link
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:57 pm

CinC wrote:I don't think the Mio works with the Tom Tom, but I'm loving the wrist feature and the end of the chafe-crazy HRM strap of the Garmin.

The Mio will pair with any ANT+ or Bluetooth 4.0 device, so it will work with the TomTom.

I have it too, and I pair it with my Garmin via ANT+ and with my phone via Bluetooth. I really like it too.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:58 pm

CinC wrote:I don't think the Mio works with the Tom Tom, but I'm loving the wrist feature and the end of the chafe-crazy HRM strap of the Garmin.

Yeah, TomTom only works with Bluetooth devices, not ANT+.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Replacement for Garmin 610 - TomTom Multisport

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:13 pm

La wrote:

Yeah, TomTom only works with Bluetooth devices, not ANT+.

I guess we were posting at the same time. Mio works with both. At least mine does...

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:17 pm

So for the Mio, you have your Garmin on one wrist and the Mio on the other?

The accuracy is good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:52 pm

eme wrote:So for the Mio, you have your Garmin on one wrist and the Mio on the other?

The accuracy is good?

yes. I've done the geeky to test it on the TM and wore the Mio/Garmin combo along with my Polar HRM that synched with the TM. The rates were the same.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:00 pm

CinC wrote:
eme wrote:So for the Mio, you have your Garmin on one wrist and the Mio on the other?

The accuracy is good?

yes. I've done the geeky to test it on the TM and wore the Mio/Garmin combo along with my Polar HRM that synched with the TM. The rates were the same.

Nice. I have gotten some wicked chafing from my HR strap.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:22 pm

I usually wear them on the same hand. Yes the accuracy is very good- as long as it's in the right position right next to your wrist bone.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Well, I'm bailing on the TomTom, at least for serious training. My HRM hasn't worked the last two times (won't display on the watch, just keeps searching). I don't think the problem is with the watch, likely the battery in the chest strap (which I bought for $45 from Amazon). Anyway, after using the TomTom since September, I'm just finding that it doesn't have the features that the Garmin watches have, so I'm packing it in. I might use it on the TM and for swimming ( :lol: if I ever get back in the pool :lol:) but for cycling and running, I've bought a Garmin 310XT refurbished unit from GPS City ($140+ shipping & tax). I already have several HRM straps that I can use with it, so I didn't bother buying the package that included a HRM (which would have been an extra $25, I think).
Last edited by La on Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:15 pm

That's too bad that the TomTom didn't do enough for you.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:00 pm

I've started using the TomTom in the pool. It has an accelerometer to measure distance and stroke count as long as you select the right pool size. Backtrack for a moment: I had to return the unit because it stopped working in the pool the first time I tried it out. I just got it back on Friday and thought I'd give it another go in the pool. I don't use it for any other workouts.

Today wasn't the best workout to try it out because we did a lot of kicking (9x50m) and it doesn't know what to do with sets that aren't actual strokes. It registered that I did 1650m when I actually did 1800 (or maybe even 1850 as I might have done 150m in one set instead of 100m - I lose track :lol: ). I did manage to figure out how I can look at my current stats while I am actually training and have the timer on pause - just press the Up button to show a summary, or the down button to scroll through the different metrics (that applies to all the workout types, not just swimming).

I don't know if there is a watch that will help me do what I need to do in the pool:
1) Know what my pace was for a given interval, at the end of that interval (e.g., while doing 10x100m on 15s rest, what was my time for the 100m I just finished?)
2) tell me where in the set I am (i.e., how many intervals of a given distance I've done) - have I completed 5 of the 10x100, or only 4?

The TomTom tells me laps/lengths as a cumulative number from the beginning of the workout, so I'd have to do mental math (not a strong point of mine at the best of times, let alone during a workout). I only want to know the totals at the end, not during the workout.

Honestly, the best watch I've ever had for this is the basic Timex Ironman watch with 100-lap memory. All my old watches (and I've had many) have broken straps, so I can't wear them anymore).

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 pm

La wrote:I don't know if there is a watch that will help me do what I need to do in the pool:
1) Know what my pace was for a given interval, at the end of that interval (e.g., while doing 10x100m on 15s rest, what was my time for the 100m I just finished?)
2) tell me where in the set I am (i.e., how many intervals of a given distance I've done) - have I completed 5 of the 10x100, or only 4?

The Garmin Swim will do all that, but it is just a pool swim watch and does not have a GPS. The 910xt and 920xt have all the features of the Garmin Swim (plus the 920xt has "drill mode" which allows you to correct for things like kick-sets or other sets that don't register as actual strokes). Of course those mulitsport watches are pretty pricey. The Garmin Vivoactiv -- a more economical mulitsport watch-- has some of these features too-- but I'm not sure what it's missing.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:31 pm

Speedo Shine?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:40 pm

The Speedo Shine doesn't do any of the things she wants because it doesn't have a display. You can only view the info online or on the app.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:50 am

La wrote:2) tell me where in the set I am (i.e., how many intervals of a given distance I've done) - have I completed 5 of the 10x100, or only 4?

I've figured out a no-tech solution for this: I use my flip-flops and move one like the hands of a clock at the end of each set. :idea: On Monday, we had to do 12x of something, so I just moved it one "tick" of the clock at the end of each interval. Worked perfectly!

Return to “Gearing Up”