Shoe Stink

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
dgrant
Lynn Williams

Shoe Stink

Postby dgrant » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:12 am

Does anyone have a solution to the stinky shoe problem? I know some people just throw their shoes in the washing machine, but I'm afraid that'll damage our machine and scare the life right out of our cats.

Do any of those shoe deodorizers really work?

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:17 am

Embrace to smell. It is a badge of honor!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:17 am

I've heard that stuffing them with newspapers can help - I do that and leave them outside overnight....it worked last time...
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:41 am

Don't sweat so much ;)

I've heard people recommend keeping two pair of shoes going at all times and wearing them on opposite days, giving the shoes time to dry completely and to bounce back from the pounding. This same hearsay also suggests that the life of the shoes may be extended thereby.

Also removing the insoles when allowing your shoes to dry may help.

This is just advice I've read elsewhere, and I have no studies to back it up, so your miles may vary.
BG

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:10 am

Jacc wrote:Embrace to smell. It is a badge of honor!

Dude, these things are so bad they could result in sanctions under the Kyoto Agreement. The problem is that I spend $500-700/year on running shoes (like most of you I'm sure), so I don't have money for other casual shoes and I use my old runners for everyday walking around. Standing in a store and knowing the clerk can smell your feet is just embarassing.

And Lisa's shoes are WMDs as well.

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:19 am

irongirl wrote:I've heard that stuffing them with newspapers can help - I do that and leave them outside overnight....it worked last time...

..but K...do you not get papercuts between your toes?

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:28 am

I dunno if this will help:

http://www.ehow.com/how_113579_freshen-smelly-shoes.html

I thought it was interesting....gonna have to try these tips on Scotty H's shoes...
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:29 am

TheBman wrote:
irongirl wrote:I've heard that stuffing them with newspapers can help - I do that and leave them outside overnight....it worked last time...

Bman

:P okay, I will try again - Stuff them with newspapers AFTER running in them - take out the newspapers before running.

I forgot that I was dealing with men here....I thought that just maybe some of you might have been able to figure it out.....
i run for me.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:32 am

irongirl wrote:
TheBman wrote:

Bman

:P okay, I will try again - Stuff them with newspapers AFTER running in them - take out the newspapers before running.

I forgot that I was dealing with men here....I thought that just maybe some of you might have been able to figure it out.....

Uh, what newspaper is? Me no get.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:33 am

dgrant wrote:
irongirl wrote:
TheBman wrote:

Bman

Uh, what newspaper is? Me no get.

the thing that has the NFL stats in it. :P
i run for me.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:17 pm

[quote="dgrant
And Lisa's shoes are WMDs as well.[/quote]

Guilty as charged... and they're even worse after running up beside the Don River last week.
I may break down and take them to the laundromat, but I don't want to wreck them!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:04 pm

Dave

I may have found a solution to shoe stink, looks like Brooks has a fancy technology to break down bacteria that they are putting in their shoes and clothes.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/living/12366885.htm

A new collection of sports clothing and gear by Brooks called HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) claims to stymie the stink by eliminating most of the bacteria. The collection debuts this month, and Trance, new Brooks running shoes that use the same technology, are available in stores.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:58 pm

I have heard of people who use the dishwasher to clean their shoes.
Bright and shiny afterwards, apparently. I am just not sure how their dishes turn out.

Return to “Gearing Up”