What not to wear

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:19 pm

Racer wrote:Helene,

I have no fashion sense at all. And I don't have nice running clothes. I always wear the crappiest old clothes when I run. I wear the longest old over-sized cotton worn-out shirts (that cover up my butt :roll: ), and then I have a pair of scraggy cotton pants that I wear. I hate these clothes. You know, I was thinking to register in an 8K race for mid-october, but I don't have anything decent to run in. That's one of the things that's stopping me from registering.

So I want to know, what would you recommend for me? I would like to feel good about me when I run. I would like to feel like you do when your hair blows in the wind. 8) And I like what you said about running being a ritual and feeling the power within....and it seems to me that feeling ugly is counter-productive to all that.

Can you please give me some advice here? Keep in mind that I'm poor. But you said that it doesn't have to be expensive...so, what should I do? What would help me out?

Thanks!

p.s. Everyone--please feel free to continue on with the philosophical discussion about parenting and personhood. It's very interesting!!!

Dear Racer, Let's go shoppin'???

You sound exactly like me a few years ago....My running gear was...well....a mess!!!

Now time to clean up a bit.

Think of the upcoming season firstly. Layers will be in fashion sooner than later accross Canada....I would look for a track suit. Meaning nylon pants or other material ( not cotton too heavy) and a light jacket. You can zip, unzip or wear around your waist easily when you get too hot. For top it's all right to have t-shirts...tech shirts are best because they don't get heavy with sweat..but more expensive although they last way longer....Now don't buy clothes that are too big,,we don't want you to look like a clown...well that's what I think about big baggy clothes..plus they don't move as easily as more fitting clothes.

So if you find a track suit, you will be able to add thin layers underneath when winter hits.

A sweatshirt can be nice but it's usually too heavy and balky...It's better to have a light jacket and wear somekind of turtleneck or long sleeves t-shirt kind of thing...

I even looked in my Sears catalogue and they have track suit for 40 box! Well they are not Nikes or Adidas but they still look cool...

Go shop at Winners, sportcheck or sportmart for the best deals..

I'm sure we can have more ideas from other forumates....

Have fun shoppin'!!

Well I must say that I am not super dupper fashionable when I run..pretty much always the same stuff but I do make sure it looks alright on me... :wink:

Helene :D

PS I had some lentils tonight and .......I HATE LENTILS>>>ERK!!!!!!! :shock: I am not sure if this stuff is really made for human consumption!!! :lol:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:43 pm

North of 60 wrote:
Racer wrote:

Think of the upcoming season firstly. Layers will be in fashion sooner than later accross Canada....I would look for a track suit. Meaning nylon pants or other material ( not cotton too heavy) and a light jacket. You can zip, unzip or wear around your waist easily when you get too hot. For top it's all right to have t-shirts...tech shirts are best because they don't get heavy with sweat..but more expensive although they last way longer....Now don't buy clothes that are too big,,we don't want you to look like a clown...well that's what I think about big baggy clothes..plus they don't move as easily as more fitting clothes.

So if you find a track suit, you will be able to add thin layers underneath when winter hits.

If you are looking for a track suit, I was just at Old Navy tonight and they have some pretty nice (and cheap) tracksuits.
Zellers also had some reasonable pants and shirts on sale (long sleeved tech shirts for under $20).

Racer
Tom Longboat

Postby Racer » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:31 am

Wow. This is great!! Thanks friends.

And Helene, you could be a fashion consultant. :)

OK. I think I might try shopping tomorrow. There is a mall where I can hit an Old Navy (never been by the way), Winners, Zellars, AND Sportmart all in one shot. And I could even hit a sport check on the way home. I'm nervous though. I mean there are racks and racks of clothes, you know? and how do you know what to pick? Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by it all I just leave. :roll:

What about colours? Is there anything I need to know there? What's hot and what isn't?

haha I wish I had a digital camera so that I could buy stuff and bring it home to try on and then post pictures for you to see and then you could tell me what looks good and what doesn't. :wink:

hey helene...I think there are ways you can cook lentils to make them very tasty...but that’s not my area of expertise. :P maybe just stick with the cottage cheese? how about yogurt?

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:12 am

Racer wrote:Wow. This is great!! Thanks friends.

And Helene, you could be a fashion consultant. :)

OK. I think I might try shopping tomorrow. There is a mall where I can hit an Old Navy (never been by the way), Winners, Zellars, AND Sportmart all in one shot. And I could even hit a sport check on the way home. I'm nervous though. I mean there are racks and racks of clothes, you know? and how do you know what to pick? Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by it all I just leave. :roll:

What about colours? Is there anything I need to know there? What's hot and what isn't?

haha I wish I had a digital camera so that I could buy stuff and bring it home to try on and then post pictures for you to see and then you could tell me what looks good and what doesn't. :wink:

hey helene...I think there are ways you can cook lentils to make them very tasty...but that’s not my area of expertise. :P maybe just stick with the cottage cheese? how about yogurt?

This is fun..fashion designer!!! 8)

If you are scared of the rows of racks well don't start with Winners cuz everything is pretty messed up there from my experience. Last time I went with my mom, I was so overwhelmed with everything there that I just gave up...ha ha! Clothes seems to be in some kind of order but in the same time all mixed up with sizes and styles....

But if you go to sportmart or sportcheck, you can ask for help. More than Zellers or Old Navy where it is all about department ...I find that Sport store are more willing to help you out.

Colors doesn't matter much to me..I go for the fit first and if they have interesting different colors sometimes it will do. There are colors I wouldn't go for men like white or yellow or light green..well it all depend if you are a funky person or not..he he !

Ya that would be fun to see you with different outfits and pick and choose what looks good.... :wink:

And cottage cheese and yogourt...my favorite and I'll stick with those for a while :D The light yogourt i have here has 50 calories and 9g of protein for 1/2 cup...not bad hey!! Too bad Ice cream doesn't score very high on protein.... :cry:

We really want to hear about your shopping !!!

Helene :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Return to “Gearing Up”