Boston Marathon course... slow?

An environment where you can be open & frank about your quest for speed

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:51 pm

2:03:02, just 57 seconds FASTER than the world record. Guess we'll have to say it USUALLY isn't a fast course.

Also, just to be a pain, I'll point out it was run as a negative split.

Amazing running, amazing finish, so although it is not a world record due to the course layout (for reasons clearly shown today) it was still a magnificant run by Geoffrey Mutai and Moses Mosop. So you run your FIRST marathon, run 53 seconds faster than the world record and finish second... are you happy or unhappy?

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:49 pm

I hope you're unhappy. You aren't the recordholder and you didn't win.

Let me ask a question: why not 2:03:01? Is the big board off by a second? When there's a million people watching, don't they get that sort of thing perfect? Rounding error?

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Boston Marathon course... slow?

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:54 pm

would you expect to win on your first? I'd be ecstatic with that kind of performance.... imagine what he's capable of.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:58 pm

I'm not sure why he'd be unhappy. Everyone who enters Boston knows that there's no chance they can set a world record.

The second place guy? Well, them the breaks-- he still ran an amazing race. Even Ryan Hall isn't unhappy. :)

Also curious about the clock.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Ryan Hall—first America was 4th overall at about 2:04:58
Last year he was 4th at 2:09:41. So he was almost 5 minutes faster.

Prior year Results
2010 2:05:52—course record
2009 2:08:42
2008 2:07:45
2007 2:14:13
2006 2:07:14 ---course record
2005 2:11:44
2004 2:10:11

Oh there was a time when 2:10-2:15 was fast, but now-a-days ...hmmm hard to say what will take to win .

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re:

Postby jgore » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Let me ask a question: why not 2:03:01? Is the big board off by a second? When there's a million people watching, don't they get that sort of thing perfect? Rounding error?

Any fraction of a second above x.00 is rounded up to the next second. IAAF rules. They never round down because it is impossible to give you a time that is faster than what you actually ran.

2:03:01.00 = 2:03:01
2:03:01.01 = 2:03:02

What it comes down to is that your official time should always be 1 second more than what you see on the clock when you cross the finish line.

MichaelMc
Bill Crothers

Postby MichaelMc » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:48 pm

I'm not sure we have to put an asterix on the times, but it is probable Moses Mosop never sets another PR. The course was predicted to be 4 minutes fast due to the unique conditions (20+ mph following wind), but I will confess to not thinking it would make so much difference. I wonder what perecentage of that effect is lost when you get into the main pack where all the other runners block a bunch of the wind. Interesting the Elite Women's times were not spectacular, and they got the same un-blocked course.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 pm

MichaelMc wrote:I wonder what perecentage of that effect is lost when you get into the main pack where all the other runners block a bunch of the wind.

Note that many of the lead men spread out across the width of the road precisely so as not to be in a pack. This allowed Ryan Hall to run the best tangents that the course has probably ever seen.

Interesting the Elite Women's times were not spectacular, and they got the same un-blocked course.

Although the final times were not spectacular compared to Paula, there were still some unexpected PBs. I would attribute the >2:20 to the current lull in women's marathoning at the moment, whereas the men's field has gotten so ridiculously deep that there are suddenly 50 guys out there who can get within 2 minutes of the WR in any given year.

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Interesting that Emmanuel Mutai won London and Geoffrey Mutai won Boston - not related I believe.
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Jwolf wrote:I'm not sure why he'd be unhappy. Everyone who enters Boston knows that there's no chance they can set a world record.

The second place guy? Well, them the breaks-- he still ran an amazing race. Even Ryan Hall isn't unhappy. :)

Also curious about the clock.

I was referring just to the second place guy. Is he happy with second or hungry for first?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 am

Corpus Cani wrote:Interesting that Emmanuel Mutai won London and Geoffrey Mutai won Boston - not related I believe.

A last name in Kenya reflects something about when or where a child is born, not actual family relationship.
Former 10k record holder Richard Chelimo and double 5k world champion Ismael Kirui were brothers.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 am

Pat Menzies wrote:
Corpus Cani wrote:Interesting that Emmanuel Mutai won London and Geoffrey Mutai won Boston - not related I believe.

A last name in Kenya reflects something about when or where a child is born, not actual family relationship.
Former 10k record holder Richard Chelimo and double 5k world champion Ismael Kirui were brothers.

And also the two Robert Cheruyiots.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:21 am

Good article on "Science of Sport" blog about how much the wind really helped on Monday. Estimate is that it gave the elites about 3-4 minutes.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/04 ... -wind.html
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 am

Jwolf wrote:Good article on "Science of Sport" blog about how much the wind really helped on Monday. Estimate is that it gave the elites about 3-4 minutes.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/04 ... -wind.html

My eyes glazed over in the math sections, but overall a great article to explain and account for all the variables that need to be factored into a race performance.

I particularly liked his last few paragraphs talking about what impact these results could/might have on the big fall marathons in Berlin, Chicago and NY.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 am

Kinda scary to see that Ryan Hall's average mile split pace is faster than my goal kilometer pace time .. :shock: :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80065732
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:10 am

Of course upset. But there's always next year to trash your competition! :twisted:

But to the math in the article, I certainly hope the weather improves in May over the past week or so in Toronto because if I'm racing in May 1st and May 15th than I want the best weather possible and with the 30+km/h westerly headwinds I always seem to be running in, chances are they will be faced during the races (SL has a slight west at the finish, GLTM has a good 10km W but then 10km E).

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:51 am

You're right - the wind in TO has been brutal the last few weeks. I can't think of many runs/rides where it hasn't been a factor.

Return to “The Speed Zone”