Need Advice about Core/Strength Exercises with a Sore Paw

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Need Advice about Core/Strength Exercises with a Sore Paw

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:05 pm

Background:

My dog attack in April resulted in a crushed bone (wrist) and broken bone (arm). I was kinda dopey because I took off the half cast on my arm before I went to Boston...probably should have kept it on...but hindsight is great :roll: To come to my defence I didn't realize the extent of my injury until I saw my doctor in July and she showed me the surgeon's report. I think I was so stunned in the hospital that I really didn't pay attention to what the surgeon was telling me. Mind you...his last line in his report did read..."I see no reason that this "nice lady" should not run the Boston Marathon"...now how cool is that 8) :wink:
Because of the above I got out of the habit of doing core/strength stuff at the gym. But now I really think I need to get my act in gear.
Problem: I have no strength in my right wrist and it "buckles" if I try and use it to do things like opening jars with it, lifting heavy items, etc. This is not a huge problem because I'm left handed but it is a problem in the gym because I can't do stuff that requires strength in this arm...i.e. planks with the ball as an example.

Advice sought:

Any exercises that would help strengthen my right wrist.

Any core/strength exercises I can do in the meantime that don't require me to use my right arm while I'm regaining strength in it.

Merci Beaucoup for any advice :D

...ummm...yes...I would talk to Mike about this...but this just means I would have to confess I've been remiss in doing core/strength stuff...I'd prefer to solve this one on my own with your help :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 pm

Have you considered consulting a physio-therapist and/or a Sports Doctor ??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:32 pm

HCmD wrote:Have you considered consulting a physio-therapist and/or a Sports Doctor ??

Yep...this thought just occurred to me this week...I need to see a physio.. :cry:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:09 pm

hey we are wrist twins!

i didn't break anything, but my ligaments are in nasty shape from my bike incident. it is amazing to me how long the rehab is taking and i know i am headed for arthritis some day.

my saving grace has been Denise, my IronMan PT. she has been the best source for what to do to keep participating and stay sane. she knew the right OT to send me to to get the best splint, and how i can modify what i do whilst wearing the splint. impressed my yoga teacher to no end when i showed up with PT approved modifications for downward dog, etc. it also helps that she teaches core for runners and water running. there are lots of good core stuff you can do that don't involve getting down on the mat and using your wrist.

we have a tri training plan all set to launch, although i am a bit worried about road rides. never mind the friggin' shoes!

get thee to a sports PT with an interest in elite athletes. he or she will "get you"
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:15 pm

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-6-0-2,00.html

Here are some videos for a bunch of core stuff. Many variations, pick a few that work and do them!!

(Lolo Jones...)
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:48 am

I didn't know you broke your arm!

For my broken arm, I started out incredibly weak. The PT gave me some stretchy rubber bands and exercises for the wrist: pulling the band front back (or up/down depending on which plane you are in).

Picture a barbell on a stand and I am standing facing the end of the bar. I wrap the stretch band around the bar and hold the end with my good arm, or tie it. Then, standing with my arm bent right angel, parallel to the bar, wrist bent back, I grasp the band and pull using my wrist in a horizontal plane. I can also redajust all the directions and pull using the other side of my wrist. Be careful to stay horizontal and not twist.

You could do this with weights in a vertical plane.

Pictures would be better eh?

I would also add that my PT said it takes 10,000 repetitions to re-train a tendon.

I would also add that re-building my arm is taking forever despite daily strength workouts. Shoulder exercises support the whole arm and I can do these with equal weights on both sides. But some of the tricep exercises, I still have 2 lbs on one side and 6 on the other! Before breaking my arm, I was not near as diligent with the weights.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:11 am

Spirit Flower wrote:I didn't know you broke your arm!

Thanks all. I'll see about a wrist splint. The RR site does show some core stuff I can do. and I'll try out some stretchy bands.

The break in my arm was not a bad break which is why I was half casted (also because I needed to have the cast taken off every day at the hospital to get the dog bite wound cleaned) and I didn't realize that a break had occurred until I saw my doctor in June complaining that my arm still really hurt. She said to me..."well didn't they tell you that at the hospital and didn't they put a cast on" I was told I was so freaked about going to the OR to get the wound cleaned that my brain stopped working and I took the cast off cuz it was bugging me to run with it. At that piece of news she did roll her eyes and say..."you runners". She's an athlete (a rower) who has many marathon running friends so she did "get it".

It's the crushed wrist bone that seems more problematic than the broken bone in the arm but I guess that makes sense that a crushed bone would take time to heal.

I'm positive that within a couple months of doing exercises to strength my wrist things will be much improved...Bunny Girl wants to make sure she is "whip-ready" in May :wink:
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:05 am

What is Mike's phone number again?
:twisted: :wink:
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:15 am

Jo-Jo about your wrist my advice is to not take any of our advice. Your injury is not ordinary and before you start anything you should seek professional advice. You might worsen the case and maybe waste your time and money of devices that might or might not do anything good.

As for core/strength I am certain that you can find with our help a bunch of moves that doesn't involve using your wrist.
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 am

North of Simone wrote:Jo-Jo about your wrist my advice is to not take any of our advice. Your injury is not ordinary and before you start anything you should seek professional advice. You might worsen the case and maybe waste your time and money of devices that might or might not do anything good.

As for core/strength I am certain that you can find with our help a bunch of moves that doesn't involve using your wrist.

I hear you North of Whatever...yeah I think I should go back to my doctor and talk to her...and see what she says before heading off in all directions.

But...I have found some core stuff that can be done in the meantime. :D

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 am

AirForceRunner wrote:What is Mike's phone number again?
:twisted: :wink:

Hula Girl Is Not Amused :twisted: :wink:

Hope you're running the Twosome Run so I can go cheer you on :D :D

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 am

Jo-Jo wrote:
North of Simone wrote:Jo-Jo about your wrist my advice is to not take any of our advice. Your injury is not ordinary and before you start anything you should seek professional advice. You might worsen the case and maybe waste your time and money of devices that might or might not do anything good.

I hear you North of Whatever...yeah I think I should go back to my doctor and talk to her...and see what she says before heading off in all directions.

But...I have found some core stuff that can be done in the meantime. :D

Bravo chère Jo-Jo! :D
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:19 pm

This is an area where a good physio can really help.

He/she will be able to assess not only the limitation of the arm and what you can and can't do for strengthening it, but will also be able to give you some appropriate exercises for your core strengthening. It's pretty hard to figure out what you can do over the wire.

Good luck with it, Jo-Jo. Happy healing...
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Jo-Jo, I'm kind of surprised you didn't have rehab with a physiotherapist after the break. Go. Call now. Today.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:59 pm

core exercises that don't involve your wrist (i don't have any advice on strengthening your wrist though)

squats, walking lunges, supermans, crunches, bicycles, plank using your elbows, and my personal fave (not) is when you lie on your back, raise both feet in the air, and bring both feet down to almost the floor and raise again.

There's also dead bug using a ball or scissors lying on your back....

let me know if you need spec description of these....
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”