dizzy...

The grisly details and tales of the road back

ultraslacker
Site Admin

dizzy...

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:14 am

my lungs have always been a weak spot for me and while running has strengthened them a lot, I still feel it as a weakness when I'm climbing.

As I mentioned in my race report the other day, I was having breathing and heartrate issues throughout the day. It was bad enough that during the steepest climb I got dizzy several times and had to stop to let my heart and lungs slow down.

Last night I was out just for a 5 mile run, and we did one climb... slowly, and not a huge climb. But by the top I was dizzy again and had to sit down for a minute before continuing. After that I was fine, and I felt fine otherwise (legs are still tired, but nothing concerning). It's a route that I do regularly without issue.

Should I be concerned about this? On saturday I thought I might be getting sick but now it's Wednesday and nothing has developed. I feel fine... but for some reason climbing is making me dizzy. Yet a week ago I did a big switchback and it was fine/normal. So was it just the race and recovery? Should I wait and see how the next one goes? Has anyone else experienced this?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

dizzy...

Postby Jwolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:41 am

Do you have any low blood pressure issues?

That sounds like what I was going through during my pregnancies...prescription was more salt.

Isnt it possible that you get it more when climbing simply because you are exerting more?
Last edited by Jwolf on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: dizzy...

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:43 am

Jwolf wrote:Do you know if you have any low blood pressure issues?

Not that I know of. When I donate blood they say my blood pressure is great, and when I get other checkups and stuff they say I'm fine.

The only time I remember being told it was low was that day I fainted from running the day after giving blood.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 am

Jwolf wrote:That sounds like what I was going through during my pregnancies...prescription was more salt.

Isnt it possible that you get it more when climbing simply because you are exerting more?

My diet is high in sodium already (too high, most days). And yes I'm exerting more on climbs but my concern is that the dizziness is a NEW thing. The route I did last night I've done a hundred times and it's never made me dizzy until last night... so is that just because I'm recovering from Saturday, or might there be something else at play?

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:09 pm

Do you feel pressure in your ears (when running, or when at rest)? Could it be a vertigo thing?

I would be concerned, especially since your running has strengthened your lungs ...
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:59 pm

You were quite depleted after that race, so it's not surprising that you'd need more recovery. If the dizziness persists or comes back at other times, it might be worth getting checked out.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Maybe you could try practicing some incline on the treadmill and see at what inclination or exertion you start to feel the effect.

btw I think its true for everyone that when it comes to incline running, the limiter is by far ones heart and lungs. It does sound a little strange that you appear to get dizzy more easily. Though this could happen to anyone, I suspect most would have to be redlining they're efforts before this symptom became noticeable.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 pm

I don't have a treadmill. :(

I think I will just run easy this week and then see if it recurs next week. If it does, then I'll maybe go get some blood tests or something done to see if I'm missing something.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:03 am

felt SO much better on tonight's run... so I guess it must have been a passing thing (either race related or health related!).

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:03 am

The thing is you are alone alot running. Would hate something to happen while you are alone. I would feel better if you saw your FD- cause it is a new thing.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:13 am

I usually feel sick for awhile after a hard race or ultra. I think its cause the racing throws my body out of whack and it takes a few days to re-gain equilibrium. imo (means totally unscientific): being out of whack could mean various chemicals which normally have quiet corners got released as 8 hours of running uses up resources not normally accessed.

If I feel dizzy, its usually low blood pressure. Liquids and solid food (like bread) fix it.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:35 am

HiPerformanceSpirit wrote:I usually feel sick for awhile after a hard race or ultra. I think its cause the racing throws my body out of whack and it takes a few days to re-gain equilibrium. imo (means totally unscientific): being out of whack could mean various chemicals which normally have quiet corners got released as 8 hours of running uses up resources not normally accessed.

If I feel dizzy, its usually low blood pressure. Liquids and solid food (like bread) fix it.

but this started during the race (and near the beginning), not after.

In any case, it was fine last night so I think it's gone.

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”