Race for fun or not?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

Babaloo
Percy Williams

Race for fun or not?

Postby Babaloo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:54 pm

I took some time off running (about 3-4 weeks) due to a mild-ish case of PF and an ankle issue. Had ART and physio which has helped alot. I ran 2 easy runs this week and had no pain so I'm not sure what to do about the 10k on Apr 22 and the Goodlife 1/2 I'm registered for. I'm not going to push myself :naughty: ; obviously I don't want another flare up. I guess what I'm asking is if I'd be totally off my rocker if I ran them not expecting a PB but just to go and have a good time. Same thing happened a couple of years ago with a 1/2 marathon. I finished about 4 minutes slower than my usual time but I was ok with that and I felt good.

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: Race for fun or not?

Postby Dr. S » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:11 pm

I think it depends if you're well enough to not risk further your injury.

I had PF too and was too eager to go back and raced a half-marathon 1 month after having cortisone injections on my foot on no training and it aggravated my injury. I had to stop running for a couple of month before that since it was too acute. So yeah guess what, that was a stupid idea!!

But if you had a good base and you only missed 3-4 weeks I would go for it at a leisure pace. But I'm known for not knowing when to stop :wink:
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Run. If it hurts, stop.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 pm

But it always hurst :)

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:52 pm

push it at the start. if you feel off then scale back and enjoy the rest of the race. but you don't want to hold back and then say at the end of the race "i feel fine and i could have pushed it harder". or just show up and enjoy the day. totally up to you. how's that for middle of he fence :D

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:29 am

I'm just getting back to running after 5 months off due to PF issues. I've been taking things slow and not pushing it. I am registered for a Half Mary in early May and I plan on running it purely for fun with absolutely no expectations. I just don't want to re-injure and be off running again.

My advice is to go by feel. You are definitely not off your rocker thinking about running it for fun. Lots of people do that. There will be other races to "race".

Heal up! :D
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”