Running alternatives...?

The grisly details and tales of the road back

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Running alternatives...?

Postby DonnaRigs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Curse you, unit PT!

Every other Wed, the Brigade HQ gets together for "unit PT" which 99% of the time is floor hockey. Which it was today. After last Wed CrossFit, I noticed my right quad felt tight and sore, so my horrible trainer helped me work it out on Monday. It felt WAY better. Until floor hockey today. Something gave in the area and it hurt A LOT!

Went to MIR and the doctor feels it's a micro-tear, not catastrophic, but needs a rest. I must've had a odd look since the medical guy was actually backing away from me when he said my chit (paperwork) will recommend two weeks no running, jogging or high-impact activities. CrossFit today, therefore, was all upper body (sucked).

I can't not do anything. Recommendations? How many laps of the pool water running equals a mile? If I have to pass on the run to be okay for the course I will, but I want to keep working on my fitness. Biking is no good, since that hurts that area. I have an RMT appt, so I am hoping he can work some magic too.

:(
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Running alternatives...?

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:40 pm

I think water running would hurt it too (have you tried it?).

Swimming is always a good low-impact option if it doesn't hurt your injury. :)

Don't worry about miles... worry about time and exertion.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Running alternatives...?

Postby Kelodie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 am

Is the pain in your quad or your hip flexor? If it's not in the hip, then swimming might be very beneficial. If it's in the hip, you'd have to be more careful with swimming.

What about gentle yoga?
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:49 am

It's not in the hip. It's right in the center, upper quad area. I'll hit the pool tomorrow and see.

This rots.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 am

Be careful. Was it simply the impact the doctor was worried about or was it also the type of motion? If it's the latter, pool-running will only make things worse.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Running alternatives...?

Postby Jwolf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 am

If you do pool running you don't do laps- in fact some people stay mostly in one place (in the deep end). If that doesn't work for you (if it still hurts the leg) stick to swimming.

Cycling (stationary) at low resistance might be ok too.

Good luck and hand in there- stick to your upper body work. Two weeks is nothing really.

Problem with hockey is that the movements can be quick and jerky. If it really is just a small tear you might be able to do easy intensity and not aggravate it. If its a larger tear you just need to rest.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:25 pm

Running is definitely out - Darby ran ahead of me this morning when I dropped her off at Day Camp and I went to jog the three steps to catch up - first attempted stide let me know quite clearly that I am not running anywhere right away, not even pool running since it's the motion (lifting the leg that way) not just impact.

So, swimming - I have NO IDEA where to start. What counts as a swim workout? Do i just go until I am tired? That won't take long :D

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Running alternatives...?

Postby Kelodie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Upper quad or hip flexor? Swimming could aggravate a hip flexor injury so be careful.

Just swim laps. Take breaks as needed. Have fun!
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:33 am

I'm going to be devil's advocate here and if someone gets offended, so be it.

What ever happened to just recovering? You are on a two week chit. Two weeks. Last I checked, fit people don't lose vast amounts of fitness in two weeks even if all they do is ride a couch for that down time.

Why does more need to be made of this?

Rest. Recover. Listen to your doctors. They may be military doctors, but they are still medical professionals. They are worth listening to. Never mind the fact that if you injure yourself further you will be in breach of orders given to you by higher ranking officials.

WHY on earth are you so scared of this course? You are turning this little grassy knoll of your life into Mount Everest.

There are people in the CF who are far less fit than you that can still pass (and have!) CAP.

If I were within reach of you, I'd give you a slap in the face and shake you by the shoulders on this one! RELAX. Chill out. Recover. Let your body heal itself. You'll be better off in the long run!

Think BIG picture here, what are the long term consequences vice short term advantages? You don't leave for course for another 4-6 weeks. You have time.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:07 am

CAW wrote:I'm going to be devil's advocate here and if someone gets offended, so be it.

What ever happened to just recovering? You are on a two week chit. Two weeks. Last I checked, fit people don't lose vast amounts of fitness in two weeks even if all they do is ride a couch for that down time.

Why does more need to be made of this?

Rest. Recover. Listen to your doctors. They may be military doctors, but they are still medical professionals. They are worth listening to. Never mind the fact that if you injure yourself further you will be in breach of orders given to you by higher ranking officials.

WHY on earth are you so scared of this course? You are turning this little grassy knoll of your life into Mount Everest.

There are people in the CF who are far less fit than you that can still pass (and have!) CAP.

If I were within reach of you, I'd give you a slap in the face and shake you by the shoulders on this one! RELAX. Chill out. Recover. Let your body heal itself. You'll be better off in the long run!

Think BIG picture here, what are the long term consequences vice short term advantages? You don't leave for course for another 4-6 weeks. You have time.

Oh, I am not scared of the course anymore - sorry, I should have been more clear.

WAY TMI I have actually been fighting through a really bad period of (I don't want to call it depression, that seems too heavy) and working out helps, a lot. I am a little scared of getting so down again, there was a while when I would just sit at my desk, shut the door and cry. I completely pulled away from everyone and it got really dark for a while. Keeping busy was distracting, and having exercise planned kept me busy.

Thankfully, that seems to have passed without any need for extra intervention, so knock wood it stays gone. But sitting idle gives me too much time to think.

CAP, interestingly, has become among the least of my worries for now. :D

CAW Not offended in the least - I was freaking out before, but have come around to realize that I will simply get through it. No big deal, just will. I trust and value your opinion, my friend, never worry about offending me.
Last edited by DonnaRigs on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:20 am

Maybe this break in exercise can serve as a chance to keep busy through reconnecting with friends. I know that, in some ways, it is more difficult than filling your time with exercise, but if you look on it as an opportunity...

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”