My feet hate heels / heels = injured list!

The grisly details and tales of the road back

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Wed May 02, 2012 10:57 am

Friday I tried on some killer heels. Just tried them on. Honestly. Didn't buy them. Had them on like 3 minutes max, if that.

My foot hurt the rest of the day and night. It wasn't too bad Saturday so I did my run. Sunday was a bit better. Monday so - so Tuesday worse. Wednesday worse. Figured better safe then sorry. Doctor says does it hurt more here, here or here.

Turns out I strained a ligament in my foot. Prediction minimum two weeks off running. How the freak do you strain a ligament just trying on high heels! How much do my feet hate heels! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I guess no indication of stress fracture is good news but ligaments can be slow to heal too. :( With the last 2 long runs for ORW this week and next I am more then likely out. He did say I may luck out and heal in a week but he doubts it. His best guess was 2 weeks, no running, as little walking as possible, stay off it, ice, etc. and then if (and only if) no pain when walking to try 1 - 2K running. If that goes ok try a bit longer the next day and then slowly build over a week or two so ... ORW does not look good. However if it does heal in 2 weeks NY is probably still good so I will focus on that.

Have to go get my bike out and get it to the shop for a tune up. He said I should be able to bike. That might help.

Never trying on heels again! :!:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Re: My feet hate heels / heels = injured list!

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed May 02, 2012 11:11 am

Ouch! rest up!

I'm wearing killer heels right now :D I don't have the heels hate me problem, rather 'flats hate me', so I can understand the shoe&foot pain.

Heal up!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed May 02, 2012 12:33 pm

yipes!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 02, 2012 12:38 pm

3 minutes? Seriously?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Jwolf wrote:3 minutes? Seriously?

Seriously - just trying them on and walking around the store. Given I do calf stretches on a step (as in flex the foot all the way down as well as the ones where you do the foot raises) it doesn't make much sense. Add in the flexibility of my feet and it makes less sense. He thinks it is just the angle the foot was at in that particular shoe and then walking in it that did it. Probably happened the first step. I am quite sure it was the Geox shoe. grrrrrrr

My bike is at the shop getting a tune up and will be done this evening though so that is good news.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 02, 2012 2:14 pm

WOW :shock:

To be honest...I was shocked when I read on FB that you had tried on high heels in the first place :lol: :lol: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Wed May 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:WOW :shock:

To be honest...I was shocked when I read on FB that you had tried on high heels in the first place :lol: :lol: :wink:

I have to wear a dress uniform for the event with the GG in the Senate. I ended up with a pair of dress heels but not really high ones. It was fun trying on the real high ones and our 'rules' just say closed toe, closed heel, women may wear black pump dress shoes with dress uniform so ... :roll:

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed May 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Brutal! Get well soon!!!
Carm

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Can you sue the shoe manufacturer? Seriously, this really stinks! Hope your foot feels better fast!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Thu May 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Ha! I said that to someone yesterday - that I was going to sue the company :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I have almost no pain today. I almost went for a run. If I had not gone to the clinic yesterday I would have been out there running today. I have an ART app't tomorrow and may just try a short run this weekend if the pain goes away totally. Who knows ... maybe I will walk the half ... maybe I will skip it. Either way it is looking good to get back into training fast for NY and that is where I am keeping my focus!

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat May 12, 2012 7:57 pm

8 days after going to get checked I had no pain in my foot and ran 5K. Today I ran a full 20K. I did adjust my run / walk to shorter run time before a walk break and kept the run easy. I also planned a route that would let me bail at many intervals just in case but I got it all in. I did feel my foot on and off but the only time it truly acted up was the final hill i the final KM. I am a bit hesitant about ORW as I know there are some good hills in the final several KM's of the run but my plan is just to go out easy, keep it easy, and walk more if I need to. I have had no issues throughout the day and in fact mowed the lawn and did an agility session with my dog.

I do not plan to wear fancy shoes at ALL prior to ORW! :roll:

Return to “Injuries and Recovery”