Crisis of running faith

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:09 pm

<hijack>Andrea, just for a little perspective...

A week ago (July 3rd) the company that my husband worked for closed. No severance, no pension, no nothing.

Three days later my husband's 82 year old mom was rushed to the hospital with a ruptured bowel. The doctor's couldn't save her and she passed away 48 hours later.

Today I was reviewing some music for the funeral. I found a song that spoke volumes to me. We're trying to decide between the John Legend version and the Stevie Wonder version.

Here's a bit of it....

I've had some good days
I've had some hills to climb
I've had some weary days
And some sleepless nights

But when I look around
And I think things over
All of my good days
Outweigh my bad days
I won't complain

Sometimes the clouds hang low
I can hardly see the road
I ask the question, Lord
Lord, why so much pain?

But He knows what’s best for me
Although my weary eyes
They can’t see
I say Thank you Lord
I won't complain

---------------

Just sayin' ... sometimes we need to be grateful for the things we have, the things we can do, the things we take for granted.

Cheers........
</end hijack>
-:¦:-.•:*♥*:•.-:¦:--
"If you can’t fly, run.
If you can’t run, walk.
If you can’t walk, crawl,
but by all means keep moving."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Well said Arlene.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for that. I know that in the grand scheme of things I've got it pretty good. I can walk. I can breath. I have full use of all limbs. My brain isn't mush. My job, as much as I'm not happy in it, is pretty secure. I've had a friend who lost the use of his legs following an altercation with some drunk idiots. A great aunt who lost her legs to diabetes. My grandmother lived with a stomach aneurism for more than 20 years before it finally burst and she passed away last year. My mom's best friend's mom has early onset alzheimer's... The list can go on.

The thing is that even though I know how lucky I am, sometimes the little obstacles that pop-up become center stage in my life and it's easy to forget what I actually have and I what I can actually do, and instead focus on what I don't have, or can't do. I think that's the way for a lot of us. We're all a little narcissitic (sp?) at heart. Or more than a little :wink: I know I tend toward the cynical and grumpy but it's always good to be reminded that I'm not so bad off.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:36 pm

I agree Andrea...most of us (I speak for myself) can easily forget what we have.
I think it's the primary reason why Spencer Dolling became such an important part of my life when I was training for Boston. He was a constant reminder to me that my life was pretty awesome. He thought his was. He said in his video clip..."apart from the cancer...I have a fantastic life"

Spencer continues to inspire me. His "keep going..never give up attitude" is a gift to me that I cherish.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Arlene - your husband seems to have really bad luck with work, didnt he lose his job in the winter as well?

Andrea - Despite the good fortune that we have in our lives, or maybe because of it, we are allowed the luxury of dwelling on the small things.

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:10 pm

toobusy wrote:Arlene - your husband seems to have really bad luck with work, didnt he lose his job in the winter as well?

Andrea - Despite the good fortune that we have in our lives, or maybe because of it, we are allowed the luxury of dwelling on the small things.

:? No. My husband has worked at the same place for the past 18 years. They were told in February that the plant would be closing... but they worked hard to keep the place open for as long as they could. It was a sad loss for hundreds of employees when it ultimately closed.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1640900

I thought a little perspective might help, but it was obviously inappropriate.

Andrea... feel free to dwell on the small things when you need to. It's human nature to do so. Let's just not forget to count our blessings as well.
-:¦:-.•:*♥*:•.-:¦:--

"If you can’t fly, run.

If you can’t run, walk.

If you can’t walk, crawl,

but by all means keep moving."

-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:46 pm

redhead wrote:Andrea... feel free to dwell on the small things when you need to. It's human nature to do so. Let's just not forget to count our blessings as well.

I usually give myself some kind of time limit on the self-dwelling. I'm sad, angry, pessimistic, frustrated for that amount of time and then I move on. Maybe that would help you? I mean, you're allowed to feel frustrated. The problem is when it lasts too long.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Actually I hadn't thought I was dwelling.

I've made some changes that I happy with that allow me to not worry too much about my running endurance/abilities. Sorry if the update of my first run following a really crappy non-run, and blow to where I thought I stood re: my current running "abilities", came across as dwelling. It wasn't meant as that. I haven't given up running. Blading seems to actually be helping and I need better head/earphones. That's all.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:58 pm

redhead wrote:
toobusy wrote:Arlene - your husband seems to have really bad luck with work, didnt he lose his job in the winter as well?

:? No. My husband has worked at the same place for the past 18 years. They were told in February that the plant would be closing... but they worked hard to keep the place open for as long as they could. It was a sad loss for hundreds of employees when it ultimately closed.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1640900

I thought a little perspective might help, but it was obviously inappropriate.

Andrea... feel free to dwell on the small things when you need to. It's human nature to do so. Let's just not forget to count our blessings as well.

Nope, didnt think it was inappropriate, I was just confused. I am glad they were able to hold on as long as they could, unfortunate that they couldnt hold on long enough for things to turn around.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:56 pm

abhainn wrote:
5) I really want a dog to run with. Either that or find good headphones that either aren't the size of flying saucers or fit in my ears without falling out or having to be adjusted every few minutes and don't cost enough to buy a compact car.

just bought my second pair of Sony MDR-J10 Stable Ear Clips today - $17.99 at SDM. you can probably find them much cheaper if you shop around. i find them to be lightweight, they stay in place while i am active and have reasonable sound - not a lot of bass though. the over the ear hook style means that the ear buds don't have to be jammed into your ears - very comfy and stable.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... d=11039867
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Return to “The Scenic Route”