Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
FishPants
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:28 pm

We have a mirror that lights up and plays music. It was enough to entertain John...the song gets annoying but it's better than screaming.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:32 pm

WOw, lots of exciting fall running plans from this group! Can't wait to hear all about the training!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:03 pm

I would go Erin. If it wasn't for your grandparents I wouldn't, but I would hate for something to happen and that be your last opportunity for them to see you and the kids.

But then again, I've got a dream traveller. We drove 16 hrs to NC when Z was 6 mths and he only cried maybe 30 min the whole trip.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:34 pm

I would go too Erin. I took the boys out to BC to see my grandparents for the same reason - they are starting to get really old and time is limited. Despite the fact that I was on my own for 1/2 the trip and it was an incredible amount of work, I'm really glad that I did it. Alex has his days when he is awful in the car and my singing helps. I'll get Timmy to request songs for me so he gets to be involved too and the sound of my voice calms Alex down so I don't have to listen to the screaming. Of course, I've now turned into the human jukebox and often end up singing happy birthday to everyone in the car, the trucks, the trees, the blue car, the sky, etc. :) We've also found that he is super sensitive to temperature in the car so we have to make sure that he isn't too cold with the AC blasting him or the sun on him.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for the ideas everyone. It sucks because she is otherwise a super easy baby to deal with, but WOW- it is like a totally different baby in the car.

Kristi wrote:I would go too Erin. I took the boys out to BC to see my grandparents for the same reason - they are starting to get really old and time is limited. Despite the fact that I was on my own for 1/2 the trip and it was an incredible amount of work, I'm really glad that I did it. Alex has his days when he is awful in the car and my singing helps. I'll get Timmy to request songs for me so he gets to be involved too and the sound of my voice calms Alex down so I don't have to listen to the screaming. Of course, I've now turned into the human jukebox and often end up singing happy birthday to everyone in the car, the trucks, the trees, the blue car, the sky, etc. :) We've also found that he is super sensitive to temperature in the car so we have to make sure that he isn't too cold with the AC blasting him or the sun on him.

Haha, we are human jukeboxes too, and did that exact thing on the (screaming) way to the cottage with Gavin requesting songs. Gavin now sings to Marianne anytime she cries, it is too cute. :D
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:15 am

lol...it's a good thing that V is good in the car, otherwise we would be screwed. Singing to her doesn't work AT ALL when she is upset. I think she is offended by my singing voice :lol: Luckily (or not?), she usually finds her thumb and manages to self-soothe. Or at least, she used to. Now the tantrums and meltdowns seem to be too big to be resolved with a thumb :?

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Lightning wrote:IC, I am officially in training to run the Hamilton Marathon. Could not get into half training...I guess I like the marathon the most! So I am going with that, with a goal of 3:50.

Cool! Thats 3 of us for fall marathons. Maybe more?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:02 pm

IronColl wrote:
Lightning wrote:IC, I am officially in training to run the Hamilton Marathon. Could not get into half training...I guess I like the marathon the most! So I am going with that, with a goal of 3:50.

I'm training for Victoria (for the full).
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:11 pm

Yipee!! I think your and my marathons are a week apart. Off to snoop in Hammie's journal now...
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:17 pm

IronColl wrote:Yipee!! I think your and my marathons are a week apart. Off to snoop in Hammie's journal now...

Sadly, my journal has been a lot of "I don't feel like running" since Calgary a month ago! This is the first week I've felt enthusiastic again.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Hammie wrote:
IronColl wrote:

I'm training for the Army half, maybe someone can team up with me and together we make 1 full :)
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:01 pm

DonnaRigs wrote:
Hammie wrote:
IronColl wrote:

I'm training for the Army half, maybe someone can team up with me and together we make 1 full :)

ooh, me! I'm runnign the Army 1/2 too....wow look at all the marathons that we'll run in the fall. :wink:

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Ran today pushing the stroller. A slight downhill and a swarm of mosquitos provided the motivation to haul butt.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:49 am

Pretty quiet around here lately....I'm back to work and try everyday to find some time to run. So far, it's not working out for me. The transition back to work has been challenging and I miss my boys like crazy. I think that I need to pick a goal race and set up a schedule to actually get out there doing stuff. I thought about the Hamilton 1/2 but I put the dates in the calendar and it's too soon!

How is everyone else's running/walking/swimming going?

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:00 am

did you find the transition for back to work harder this time, Kristi? i've heard it's tougher after the second!

I'm still getting in three runs a week - thanks solely to the clinic! I am away this weekend, and i'm not sure i'll get my long run in, so, i added 2.5 km last weekend and did 12.5 instead of 10.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:10 am

Much much harder. I would say that we are still transitioning. It doesn't help that Alex wants to go to bed at 6:30 (I get home just after 6) and Timmy is totally acting up right now and just causing trouble - I'm pretty sure as a reaction to me going to work. And everybody has been sick so it's been a rough few weeks. I'm sure that it will be better as we get used to the routine. But it's hard to listen to "where you going Mommy?". So yes, it's been much harder this time for me.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:55 am

Kristi wrote:Much much harder. I would say that we are still transitioning. It doesn't help that Alex wants to go to bed at 6:30 (I get home just after 6) and Timmy is totally acting up right now and just causing trouble - I'm pretty sure as a reaction to me going to work. And everybody has been sick so it's been a rough few weeks. I'm sure that it will be better as we get used to the routine. But it's hard to listen to "where you going Mommy?". So yes, it's been much harder this time for me.

oh kristi, sounds tough!

I take it Darren can't do drop off or pick-ups? :(

i loved having james do drop offs....the "mommy, don't leave me" was heart wrenching.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 am

*sticking my fingers in my ears* - I'm so in denial about the whole concept of going back to work! I know I still have 9 months to go, but I just can't imagine it! I don't think it is helped by the fact that I won't be going back to my fast-paced, exciting job that I love (hours are too long and unpredictable), but will need to find a new, boring job instead.

Training here is going really well! I signed up for a Mom and Baby boot camp that is twice a week. There is an assistant who helps with the babies, so you can either keep them in the stroller or bring them on the mat with you. It is great! The cardio part haven't been too challenging so far (though running up tobogganing hills is always tough!) but the strength/power stuff is fabulous - just what I need!

I'm running 3-4 days per week - I did 10km the last two weeks as a long run. On Friday, I left Charlotte with my mom for the first time and went for a run along the canal from her place. It was fabulous! They played for a bit, and when I came home, C was fast asleep in Granny's arms. We'll try again this week. Otherwise, during the week, I'm running on the TM - C managed to last 5k in the bouncy seat last week. On the weekends, D and I alternate going out first to run.

I am doing a 3km open water swim race on Saturday. I've swam in OW exactly twice this year - for less than 5 minutes each time, testing out wetsuits! But, I've been swimming lots in the pool, so hopefully it will be ok! It's a great race, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:33 am

Oh Kristi, A big HUG to you :( I am still trying to figure out our finances for me to stay home after Marianne. I *think* we can swing it if I pick up one part-time lecturing spot a year, but we will see.

Jesse- AWESOME!
Kiza- AWESOME!

I am up to 6ish k, and running 3x a week. DH and I have set aside running days for me (tues/thurs and one weekend day), so this morning when he got up DH said to me "tonight is a run night for you". :) Life otherwise is good, we have gotten into a routine with two kids now (Kristi, you were right). I am trying to finish up odds and ends of my dissertation and finding it a bit of a challenge with the lack of sleep, but oh well, it will get done eventually.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:00 am

Irongirl wrote:
Kristi wrote:Much much harder. I would say that we are still transitioning. It doesn't help that Alex wants to go to bed at 6:30 (I get home just after 6) and Timmy is totally acting up right now and just causing trouble - I'm pretty sure as a reaction to me going to work. And everybody has been sick so it's been a rough few weeks. I'm sure that it will be better as we get used to the routine. But it's hard to listen to "where you going Mommy?". So yes, it's been much harder this time for me.

oh kristi, sounds tough!

I take it Darren can't do drop off or pick-ups? :(

i loved having james do drop offs....the "mommy, don't leave me" was heart wrenching.

Darren does it all! Wake up, breakfast, drop off and pick up. Timmy asks where I'm going in the morning before I leave - if he's even awake. Daycare is an easier transition as he is so excited to be there.

There is a part of my brain that is very old fashioned and feels like the Mommy should be able to do it all - cooking, cleaning, laundry, playgroups and still be able to work full time. And work out. And make healthy homemade food. And have some social time. And look good. Etc, etc. So I need to get over my guilt at not being able to do it all. Because it is so not possible!!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:19 am

Kristi wrote:Pretty quiet around here lately....I'm back to work and try everyday to find some time to run. So far, it's not working out for me. The transition back to work has been challenging and I miss my boys like crazy. I think that I need to pick a goal race and set up a schedule to actually get out there doing stuff. I thought about the Hamilton 1/2 but I put the dates in the calendar and it's too soon!

what about the BD 10-miler? nice, reasonable distance but definitely a challenging course to get motivated. AND (brace yourself) they have medals now! snowman medals!!! :dance: you could do a 5k or two along the way, or something...

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:21 am

Kristi- you said it, even supermom's like you can't do it all! Give yourself a break :)

BD 10 miler has potential for me too, but I don't yet know where I will be boxing day (in-laws maybe). Kristi and Dee, what about Fergus 10k in August? BBQ after at my house!

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 am

pts wrote:Kristi- you said it, even supermom's like you can't do it all! Give yourself a break :)

BD 10 miler has potential for me too, but I don't yet know where I will be boxing day (in-laws maybe). Kristi and Dee, what about Fergus 10k in August? BBQ after at my house!

a 10k race is too rich for my blood right now (i actually think even 5k is out of my league - i'll let you know on thursday :lol:), but i could definitely come out to cheer!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:02 am

I can't do half that stuff and I am a SAHM. My eyebrows look like caterpillars and I took the old polish off my toes 2 weeks ago, still haven't found the time to re-apply it. Looking good? People are lucky I have pants on when I leave the house.

I can start running TOMORROW! YAY!!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:08 am

deerdree wrote:
Kristi wrote:Pretty quiet around here lately....I'm back to work and try everyday to find some time to run. So far, it's not working out for me. The transition back to work has been challenging and I miss my boys like crazy. I think that I need to pick a goal race and set up a schedule to actually get out there doing stuff. I thought about the Hamilton 1/2 but I put the dates in the calendar and it's too soon!

what about the BD 10-miler? nice, reasonable distance but definitely a challenging course to get motivated. AND (brace yourself) they have medals now! snowman medals!!! :dance: you could do a 5k or two along the way, or something...

You had me at snowman medals!! I loved that race when I did it years ago (was that the first time that we met in person?) and would love to do it again. Totally enough time to train for it...

Return to “The Scenic Route”