Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Lightning
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Lightning » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:06 pm

IronColl wrote:This may have been from the hamburgers I ate for supper the night before. Or coffee in the morning? Maybe peanut butter on toast isn't working for me anymore.

These pit stops are in addition to already going in the morning. Usually I have to stop if I am pushing out of my comfort zone, but this is happening 8km or less into a long run which isn't run at a challenging pace.

Man really sorry to hear that. But, it always has happened to me as well, so I actually have no real tips. I stopped with Gatorade on my runs which seemed to help a bit, but I still have to stop at least once or twice during a long run. On actual race day, I take pills to make sure I do not have to go during the race. Crazy.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Sorry to hear about the issues while running ironcoll...hoping someone has some tips that will work.

Last day at the cottage. Ran 18k this am in the smokin heat and humidy then jumped in the lake,,.nice. I forgot to mention that there's a lady here studying to be a yoga instructor and every day she teaches us yoga out in the grass. Very nice. My wild child fell down 5 wooden steps and landed on concrete today as well. She's fine but I think we r ready to be back in the city!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Ironcoll- sorry to hear about your stomach woes- I can sympathize. I have had to make sure I finish eating a full hour before running (and that only a small breakfast- peanut butter wouldn't work). Coffee or tea will help to clear out completely if you don't already drink those. Some people also find that they can't eat after 5:00 pm and/or no dairy the night before long runs. Also- experiment with different gels and drinks- some are worse than others. I can't take cliff shots AT ALL- they have a different kind of sugar. Powerbar Gels and Gatorade work for me.

Good luck!!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Lightning wrote:
Kristi wrote:In my very limited experience, the terrible twos are actually before the age of two. I do have a friend that laughs at the terrible twos and tells me to just wait for the f$#&ing fours. :what:

Hahahaha! Best post ever. You are one of the best moms I know so I will take what you say as golden. Ohhh, that means A. is heading there too soon since he is not too much younger than our rascals!!! Help us all.

Thanks Lightning!

Yes, A is at what I like to call the annoying stage. Starting to walk around, into everything, but without the ability to understand boundaries or instructions. Of course, it's also the super cute stage of being super proud of himself as he walks somewhere or opens something new. It balances out!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:36 pm

Jwolf wrote:Ironcoll- sorry to hear about your stomach woes- I can sympathize. I have had to make sure I finish eating a full hour before running (and that only a small breakfast- peanut butter wouldn't work). Coffee or tea will help to clear out completely if you don't already drink those. Some people also find that they can't eat after 5:00 pm and/or no dairy the night before long runs. Also- experiment with different gels and drinks- some are worse than others. I can't take cliff shots AT ALL- they have a different kind of sugar. Powerbar Gels and Gatorade work for me.

Good luck!!

Before a race I wouldn't eat anything iffy and stick to simple carbohydrates, so maybe I need to go back to that. I do have a coffee in the morning, but I will try having a decaf before my next one. Maybe I also need to try a different fuel during the run. Maybe I need to suck it up and just get up a bit earlier in the morning.

Did speedwork for the first time tonight 6 x 800m. Got to the pace where the last 150m sucked but pushed through.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:06 am

How are all the HRM's and HRM's to be doing this week?

Back at work for me this week with a still not sleeping great toddler has been exhausting. Really looking forward to not setting an alarm tomorrow. My mileage this week has kind of sucked but I did do a step class and a wicked hard boot camp yesterday. I am surprised I can type. You you're all well!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am

doing well over here! i ran 16km on sunday and all i could think was "i used to run marathons? what made me think those were fun?". seems like a million years ago! i can't imagine running twice the distance I did on sunday in training! of course, i was faster then, so the runs took less time!

i weighed myself this morning and i'm 1 lb away from my pre-gaining-weight-to-get-pregnant weight. which means i need to be careful not to lose more since my body clearly has issues below this weight. more gelato for me! i mean...more cottage cheese - yeah, that's it!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Great job scrummy! I am very happy you are well on your way back.

I am still having issues on my long runs and starting to get frustrated. I tried decaf coffee and a smaller breakfast and still had to pit stop within the first hour. This week I am going to change what I am eating the night before.

One running positive in the last week was that I was able to hold my goal half marathon pace for 12km. I didn't think I had it in my just yet and now I am leaning again towards racing a half in a couple of weeks. That is if I can get the "runs" sorted out.

Justin is doing better at night and we think is really close to crawling. He can get on his knees and rocks back and forth. Of course he just gets upset because he can't get anywhere like that. He does a good army twist though.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:16 pm

IronColl wrote:One running positive in the last week was that I was able to hold my goal half marathon pace for 12km. I didn't think I had it in my just yet and now I am leaning again towards racing a half in a couple of weeks. That is if I can get the "runs" sorted out.

Regarding runs on the run (sorry, couldn't resist :oops: ), can you eat ~1 hour before going out? Putting my nerd hat on for a minute, there's actually a reason why. At night, when you're asleep, your entire GI tract contarcts top to bottom about once every 3 h. It acts to sweep everything towards the colon, so by morning, there's a whole lot of stuff just waiting around. When you eat something first thing in the morning, it triggers the gastrocolic reflex - essentially, the stomach relaxing to accommodate food triggers your colon to contract and is why so many people have a bowel movement after they eat (especially breakfast). If you can eat/drink something early, it gives that reflex time to happen. If you eat and go right out the door, you'll need to go to the bathroom mid run.

And why don't you run the edmonton half august 21?! I'll be there!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:45 am

Hammie wrote:
IronColl wrote:One running positive in the last week was that I was able to hold my goal half marathon pace for 12km. I didn't think I had it in my just yet and now I am leaning again towards racing a half in a couple of weeks. That is if I can get the "runs" sorted out.

Regarding runs on the run (sorry, couldn't resist :oops: ), can you eat ~1 hour before going out? Putting my nerd hat on for a minute, there's actually a reason why. At night, when you're asleep, your entire GI tract contarcts top to bottom about once every 3 h. It acts to sweep everything towards the colon, so by morning, there's a whole lot of stuff just waiting around. When you eat something first thing in the morning, it triggers the gastrocolic reflex - essentially, the stomach relaxing to accommodate food triggers your colon to contract and is why so many people have a bowel movement after they eat (especially breakfast). If you can eat/drink something early, it gives that reflex time to happen. If you eat and go right out the door, you'll need to go to the bathroom mid run.

This is what works for me, but I can often get away with just coffee (if I am doing a shorter run). But I need to be up at least 1-1.5 hours before I plan to run to allow this whole thing to happen.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 am

The runs I am having aren't the first of the day. Sometimes it is before breakfast, sometimes after. If it is before should I wait for a second one before I head out?

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:21 pm

IronColl wrote:The runs I am having aren't the first of the day. Sometimes it is before breakfast, sometimes after. If it is before should I wait for a second one before I head out?

Try it and see if it helps, if you've got the time. Since I run so early in the morning (and can't leave later or get up any earlier), I just plan my route to take me past the Y that opens at 5:30 and has really nice washrooms :lol: .
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:10 am

fe.sweetpea wrote:
Hammie wrote:

This is what works for me, but I can often get away with just coffee (if I am doing a shorter run). But I need to be up at least 1-1.5 hours before I plan to run to allow this whole thing to happen.

Ok, this is odd and I am not sure if it actually works or if it is a 'placebo' but I have to drink coffee in a hard chair (like a kitchen chair) and that works for me. Otherwise I suffer the same fate as Colleen (even if I had a coffee and had a BM, I still have 'run' issues).

Checking in, and am in awe of how awesome all the running moms are (special shout out to scrummy-amazing). I seem to be getting one 'stiffness/minor injury' after another, all on the same side (knee/quad/hip), so I need to do something about it. I am up for suggestions (other than chiro, that freaks me out for some reason!). I am getting discouraged. :(

In other news I managed to swim at the cottage 2x (actually swimming, not just splashing around) and I had the best/hardest workout ever! I carried my 31lb toddler for about 1k in the loose sand (so it felt like going through mud) in my arms since he was tired. Then I carried him up the 'hill' in the sand to the cottage. I was dead tired and pretty sore after that! :lol:
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:44 am

pts wrote:Checking in, and am in awe of how awesome all the running moms are (special shout out to scrummy-amazing). I seem to be getting one 'stiffness/minor injury' after another, all on the same side (knee/quad/hip), so I need to do something about it. I am up for suggestions (other than chiro, that freaks me out for some reason!). I am getting discouraged. :(

In other news I managed to swim at the cottage 2x (actually swimming, not just splashing around) and I had the best/hardest workout ever! I carried my 31lb toddler for about 1k in the loose sand (so it felt like going through mud) in my arms since he was tired. Then I carried him up the 'hill' in the sand to the cottage. I was dead tired and pretty sore after that! :lol:

Great job on the cross training :wink: I'm stealing the "toddler sand walk" for my next round of classes. Have you thought about single leg strength to even out muscle imbalances? Single leg squats and leg lifts are what's coming to my mind.

Hammie wrote:
IronColl wrote:The runs I am having aren't the first of the day. Sometimes it is before breakfast, sometimes after. If it is before should I wait for a second one before I head out?

Try it and see if it helps, if you've got the time. Since I run so early in the morning (and can't leave later or get up any earlier), I just plan my route to take me past the Y that opens at 5:30 and has really nice washrooms :lol: .

I see at least 3 7-11 per run for this reason!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:56 am

pts wrote:
Checking in, and am in awe of how awesome all the running moms are (special shout out to scrummy-amazing). I seem to be getting one 'stiffness/minor injury' after another, all on the same side (knee/quad/hip), so I need to do something about it. I am up for suggestions (other than chiro, that freaks me out for some reason!). I am getting discouraged. :(

Have you had your gait checked out? I went to a pedorthist and he prescribed orthotics. All of my issues were on my left side (made sense since I have pins and a plate in my left ankle), but I've been running pain-free with the orthotics.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:59 am

7-11 bathrooms are scary. :shock: Timmy's has nice bathrooms, and the Esso ones aren't bad either.

I swear by my chiro for my hip pain :) If I can alleviate any of your chiro fears, I have no problems with lots of questions.

My running has been a struggle. I feel like I weigh 1000 lb and am thumping along like an elephant. Looking forward to feeling more like a gazelle. Or at least like something a wee bit svelter than an elephant.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:57 pm

FP- I feel the same way (although I feel more like a hippo for some reason).

Colleen- I haven't thought that. My stronger ('dominant') side is the one that hurts, does that make sense?
Ann- I should do that, not sure hubby has coverage for that though. That reminds me as well, I have a bad ankle on that side so I probably change my gait to 'baby' it.

by the way- if I hear "I want daddy to..." (instead of mommy) one more time in my house I am going to lose it. Actually, I already lost it, but that is allowing me time to myself while the kids and ever-fabulous-do-no-wrong daddy are at the park.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:13 pm

pts wrote:
Colleen- I haven't thought that. My stronger ('dominant') side is the one that hurts, does that make sense?
Ann- I should do that, not sure hubby has coverage for that though. That reminds me as well, I have a bad ankle on that side so I probably change my gait to 'baby' it.

Is this the hip you carry the kids on? I can throw my hip/back out carrying a rather huge toddler around and I always carry him on the same side. For me it is chiro that fixes the issue immediately.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:07 pm

pts wrote:
by the way- if I hear "I want daddy to..." (instead of mommy) one more time in my house I am going to lose it. Actually, I already lost it, but that is allowing me time to myself while the kids and ever-fabulous-do-no-wrong daddy are at the park.

See, you're catching on. It's not an insult, it's a phase. A phase that you can maximize to your greatest advantage! "Honey, I'd love to give the him his bath, but he really wants you to do it. Isn't that sweet? You can't really say no."
Then pour a glass of wine (or coffee), put your feet up and read some of your book you haven't had time to read. As you hear hubby finishing up, go stand at the sink with a glass and towel in your hands so it looks like you've been doing the dishes.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 pm

babysteps wrote:
pts wrote:

See, you're catching on. It's not an insult, it's a phase. A phase that you can maximize to your greatest advantage! "Honey, I'd love to give the him his bath, but he really wants you to do it. Isn't that sweet? You can't really say no."
Then pour a glass of wine (or coffee), put your feet up and read some of your book you haven't had time to read. As you hear hubby finishing up, go stand at the sink with a glass and towel in your hands so it looks like you've been doing the dishes.

OMG genius!!!

John is a real Daddy's boy. I will have to train....um....encourage Damon to be the same :)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Tori wrote:
pts wrote:

Is this the hip you carry the kids on?

Good question.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:59 am

FishPants wrote:
babysteps wrote:
pts wrote:

OMG genius!!!

John is a real Daddy's boy. I will have to train....um....encourage Damon to be the same :)

Genius is right!! :D

Tori/Colleen- yes, it is the hip I carry G on, and the shoulder I carry M on (and burp her on etc). Suggestions (haha, let me guess, a chiro- gulp)?

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:10 am

babysteps wrote:
pts wrote:

You've done this before!! You are a genius.

I hate the daddy only phase - we're going through it too. "Go away mommy, I don't want you. I want Daddy" is getting really old :roll:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 am

pts wrote:
FishPants wrote:
babysteps wrote:
pts wrote:

OMG genius!!!

Genius is right!! :D

Tori/Colleen- yes, it is the hip I carry G on, and the shoulder I carry M on (and burp her on etc). Suggestions (haha, let me guess, a chiro- gulp)?

You could try massage if you are afraid of chiro and see if that helps. The issue is you lift your hip up to hold the babies and walk, move, etc off kilter so your alignment is out of whack and the muscles get really sore. I promise there is nothing scary about chiro. I actually went to a chiro for a year post partum whose specialty was pre and post partum moms. She was fantastic dealing with pelvis issues as your body gets back to normal.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:25 am

Kristi wrote:
babysteps wrote:
pts wrote:

You've done this before!! You are a genius.

I hate the daddy only phase - we're going through it too. "Go away mommy, I don't want you. I want Daddy" is getting really old :roll:

That sounds like our house!

Tori- I may look into a chiro. I have been going to massage for my shoulders (which are really tight and giving me headaches), but she never has time to work both (30 min appointments mostly). I will look to see if I can get a recommendations for post-partum chiro.

Has anyone tried an osteopath? There is a physio/osteo in town who does post-partum work and I was thinking of trying her.

Return to “The Scenic Route”