Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Hammie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:11 pm

geobandito wrote:Congratulations, Jesse!!! We had our second in August; our older guy loves the new guy to pieces, but is not as pleased with us for paying attention to him. :-) But it's the sweetest thing to see them together. Good luck and enjoy!

Congrats to you as well!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Hammie wrote:
geobandito wrote:Congratulations, Jesse!!! We had our second in August; our older guy loves the new guy to pieces, but is not as pleased with us for paying attention to him. :-) But it's the sweetest thing to see them together. Good luck and enjoy!

Congrats to you as well!

Congrats on the new addition! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Hammie wrote:

Congrats to you as well!

yes - congratulations! great news!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:22 am

Congrats, Jesse! It sounds like C. is going to be a wonderful big sister! :D
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Congrats Jesse. I was recently looking at FB photos and wondering if baby #2 was in the cards. So excited for you and your family.
The Summer of Eng is over.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks everyone!

In running-related news, I went out with one of my running buddies today for the first time in quite a while - I feel like I never seem them any more since I'm not doing weekend long runs. I managed 9 km which is the longest in a couple of months.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

geobandito
Johnny Miles

Postby geobandito » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
Hammie wrote:

Congrats to you as well!

yes - congratulations! great news!

Thanks, everyone! This one is easy-peasy compared to #1. Eats well, sleeps well, a chill little dude. Makes life a little easier.
2014 Running Plans
remembering how to run!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:25 am

Great job Jesse! I remember how freaking FAR runs over about 6km felt while pg! They didn't happen at all after Sporting Life, lol. At least I don't think so. I did 6.5km at 5:54/km this morning and it felt like a long tempo run! I did a somewhat hilly route, though, which probably influenced my perception. A group of us does a Winter Solstice run on the Leslie Spit every year out to the lighthouse and back (10K) and I really want to do it on Dec 20. That's the goal anyway, and if I have to walk a bit at the end that's OK. My run buddy who I saw yesterday assured me she would happily stick with me. :)
I'm really looking forward to feeling in shape again. Hopefully if I can keep running regularly it'll seem easier soon! The lack of sleep is influencing things too I'm sure. :) My current training plan is basically run every day that I get a decent sleep (defined as 2 blocks of sleep, one at least 4 hrs and one at least 2). How my perception of a good night's sleep has changed! Haha.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Congrats geobandito and scrummy!! Baby news is good news!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 pm

QuickChick wrote:Great job Jesse! I remember how freaking FAR runs over about 6km felt while pg! They didn't happen at all after Sporting Life, lol. At least I don't think so. I did 6.5km at 5:54/km this morning and it felt like a long tempo run! I did a somewhat hilly route, though, which probably influenced my perception. A group of us does a Winter Solstice run on the Leslie Spit every year out to the lighthouse and back (10K) and I really want to do it on Dec 20. That's the goal anyway, and if I have to walk a bit at the end that's OK. My run buddy who I saw yesterday assured me she would happily stick with me. :)
I'm really looking forward to feeling in shape again. Hopefully if I can keep running regularly it'll seem easier soon! The lack of sleep is influencing things too I'm sure. :) My current training plan is basically run every day that I get a decent sleep (defined as 2 blocks of sleep, one at least 4 hrs and one at least 2). How my perception of a good night's sleep has changed! Haha.

good for you! how many weeks back are you? i just checked my logs, and i did 10 km after 5.5 weeks back running (so, 11 weeks pp) and it was slooooow.keep in mind, i hadnt run at all through my pregnancy w c.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:54 am

I'm 7 and a half weeks now, so he would be 10 weeks on Dec 20 and it would be 5 weeks of running for me too. Glad to hear it's do-able! I've always needed to build my distance up really gradually with my IT bands so that could be another limiting factor, but I'm hopeful! Thanks Jesse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:59 am

I think you should slow down. I'm enjoying being faster than you for a little bit longer. :lol: Seriously, I'm glad you are getting back at it.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:17 am

IronColl wrote:I think you should slow down. I'm enjoying being faster than you for a little bit longer. :lol: Seriously, I'm glad you are getting back at it.

I know! Can't we please enjoy for a while!!

I am glad you are doing so well too though. We knew you could do it!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:20 pm

I ran 10 km this morning with two buddies - felt great running wise, but felt like I had to pee from about 3 km onwards (even though I was fine once we stopped!). Darn bladder!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 am

Oh yeah I remember that!! Luckily in TO there are many washrooms around the parklands. What I would find, though, is that often I'd desperately have to pee and then find that I "actually" BARELY did once I went! Now as I see how much N likes to move his little arms and legs around I'm sure he was just doing a dance party on my bladder. My advice is to pee literally right before you step out for your run, but I'm sure you do that! It would be the worst if I hadn't done that, so even if I didn't feel like I had to go before I left I always tried to do a "just in case" pee.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:35 am

This article from Runner's World came up in my Twitter feed and it's very entertaining! I have no issues with pumping and I'm still mildly grossed out by spit up on my shirt, but other than that most of it rings pretty true. Other than the catwalk part. Glad I didn't have something like that hanging over me, haha!

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:17 am

I'm excited to join this group :D Al and I are expecting, and Baby*Smiles will be arriving around April 2nd.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:23 am

WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! How are you feeling?

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:33 am

QuickChick wrote:WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! How are you feeling?

Thanks! I'm feeling big :lol: but I know I'm not, just the new body. Mostly good, still get nauseous at least once a day. I haven't been running leading up to pregnancy but have the green light to get moving. I'm just too tired at the end of the day to get motivated. I don't know how you did it!

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:47 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:I'm excited to join this group :D Al and I are expecting, and Baby*Smiles will be arriving around April 2nd.

Congratulations!!!! Yaaaay!!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:23 am

Congratulations Denise!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:38 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:I'm excited to join this group :D Al and I are expecting, and Baby*Smiles will be arriving around April 2nd.

Tell us about your half marathon at 3 months pregnant..... ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Wow, I don't know how you did that!! Amazing. 10km was pushing it for me- my last 10 km was at 19 weeks. I had a couple 9-ish km runs after that, I believe, but past about 24 weeks I didn't go farther than 6km or so. I didn't slow down a ton till the last month or so I was running, but I didn't have the endurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks everyone!

Irongirl wrote:

Tell us about your half marathon at 3 months pregnant..... ;)

Ah yes. The 2 hr and 40 min half marathon I ran before I knew I was pregnant. Lol

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:26 pm

:dance: :dance:

Congrats! Wonderful news!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered