Running and Weight Gain :(

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
pts
Lynn Williams

Re: Running and Weight Gain :(

Postby pts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:49 pm

La wrote:
pts wrote:
Engmomma wrote:I have no andedotal proof that this works or not. Could you try adding in interval training to your 5k run?

Your body may have become efficent at the 5k steady but a 5k interval will certainly up the heart rate. Also adding in some weight training may help.

For me the cardio just isn't enough. I need the all round conditioning to drop the pounds. (I say that like I actually do it in practice :wink:)

Oh, I could try that (the interval training). In terms of weight bearing stuff, I get enough carrying G around I think. Actually, I am pretty sure that is why I was at my lowest weight since I had last been a "gym bunny" in uni.

See, that's the thing - your body gets "used" to certain activities and activity levels, so if it hasn't already, it will get used to you carrying G around and not consider that to be strenuous.

Variety and mixing things up (to keep your body guessing what's coming next) is usually an effective way of ensuring you don't hit a plateau.

Maybe I should try carrying Huds around instead :lol: :lol: (btw- he is 75lbs). Ya, I need to mix it up, without making myself starving in the process!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 am

This is interesting. The weight you're talking about is most likely muscle weight and the water and glyogen (sp?) the muscles store.

Either way, I'm sure it's a good thing. Being active helps you establish a healthy weight. Is it possible you had low muscle mass and your body is trying to establish a healthy balance? I quit running for 3.5 years and lost 20lbs of muscle. When I went back to the gym 2 months ago my body immediately started to gain it back which was nice.
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:18 am

I was able to get to my school days low weight with running and weight management, meaning writing down my points for food intake and smart food selection. It works. I also know from experience, having lost and gained many times, that saying you want to loose weight and REALLY wanting to loose weight are two different mindsets. I'll whine and complain about it, but do nothing significant to address it. But when I'm serious, usually getting angry at myself, I start counting my points and selecting my food intelligently.

Having said that, I have gained 2-3 lbs during the my marathon training. But I don't believe it's from the increased running. It is because I'm allowing it to happen by not measuring or controlling my food intake. I've started buying hot chocolate at work instead of coffee, grabbing an extra muffin in the morning instead of a banana, eating the rabbit ears and soon the body of the kids chocolate bunnies.

And I think the lack of discipline I'm having is getting me angry enough with myself to do something about it and cut it out of my diet because these little slips become daily events and then the pounds start coming back.

In my opinion, the problem is not the running, it's the weakness of the mind. And when it comes to food, I am very weak

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:58 am

killerbeetle wrote:This is interesting. The weight you're talking about is most likely muscle weight and the water and glyogen (sp?) the muscles store.

I really don't think muscle gain and glycogen storage is significant after 3 x 5K runs/week.

Hormonal issues are huge, especially in child-bearing years but also as women age, and cause us to conserve every last calorie we can.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Jwolf wrote:
killerbeetle wrote:This is interesting. The weight you're talking about is most likely muscle weight and the water and glyogen (sp?) the muscles store.

I really don't think muscle gain and glycogen storage is significant after 3 x 5K runs/week.

Hormonal issues are huge, especially in child-bearing years but also as women age, and cause us to conserve every last calorie we can.

Yup. Living proof of that right here! :(

I think you look very healthy and fit, prts! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Oops, I think I might have actually hit "report" this post on Trixie's last post. I didn't mean to!

Am I old enough to claim that I'm now conserving every calorie? Or is it really just all the crap I've been eating lately?

I am one who has never lost weight as a result of running. I've been running regularly for over 6 years now. I've managed to "lose" weight about 3 times in that period. Twice as a result of going back to weight watchers, once when I was having gallbladder trouble and almost everything I ate set it off.

So... I guess since the gallbladder is gone, I have to go back to WW.
Heather

"We over-committed, overweight middle-aged moms who have been athletic failures most of our lives don’t get much fanfare when we finally get off the couch and go for it, but there are a lot of us out there" - Seuss

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 am

trixiee wrote:I think you look very healthy and fit, prts! :D

+1! I think you look great!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:08 am

mcshame wrote:Having said that, I have gained 2-3 lbs during the my marathon training. But I don't believe it's from the increased running. It is because I'm allowing it to happen by not measuring or controlling my food intake. I've started buying hot chocolate at work instead of coffee, grabbing an extra muffin in the morning instead of a banana, eating the rabbit ears and soon the body of the kids chocolate bunnies.

And I think the lack of discipline I'm having is getting me angry enough with myself to do something about it and cut it out of my diet because these little slips become daily events and then the pounds start coming back.

In my opinion, the problem is not the running, it's the weakness of the mind. And when it comes to food, I am very weak

Yes and no. Yes, it's all those little extra things that are most likely causing weight gain, but marathon training has a physiological effect on the body (stress) that might be making you crave those things. Even though they are connected, there's a difference between the "mind" and the "brain;" your brain is sending signals to your body that your mind is incapable of controlling.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:58 pm

gnu wrote:
trixiee wrote:I think you look very healthy and fit, prts! :D

+1! I think you look great!

Thanks Gals! :oops: :D
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Return to “The Scenic Route”