Reconsidering everything

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Reconsidering everything

Postby Madame Bourette » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:53 pm

For more than one year, I have been working simultenously on my CMA, MPA and Ironman.

This is very stressful and I am getting weary.

MPA: This is almost done. I know what to do, I just have to do it. I will probably write everything during my vacation in Florida starting March 17.

CMA: This is difficult and time consuming. Nothing is lost yet but I need to spend more time on it.

Ironman: I really want to race Ironman Wisconsin but the real training has not even started yet and I don't feel like training. I want to race, not train but we all know this is not possible at Ironman level. Right now, I don't feel like training 20-25 hours a week for the whole summer.

I don't even know why I want to race at Ironman level. I wanted to go to Kona but it's getting harder and harder every year and I don't know if I want to do what it takes to get there. Or try to get there.

I need some leisure time. I want to read a book, spend a weekend with Hélène relaxing at home or out just to ride our bikes nowhere, play a computer game, watch movies, watch tv shows or play boardgames.

I will speak with my coach. I don't know if I should stay at Half-Iron training level or just race and train whenever I feel like it, without any training schedule. Right now, I train because it's on my schedule and because after years, it became a part of me, like if it's as natural as eating, sleeping. I never reconsiderated it.

On the other side, I feel guilty when I miss a workout. I don't know if I can just quit.
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

Tri_K
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tri_K » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Definitely speak to your coach. I don't have any advice to give, we all go through these periods. My Ironman training is really just starting and I'm already thinking that I don't want to do this back-to-back years, so I hear you on the commitment. In the words of my coach - only do it when it enhances your life. Maybe a little break is just what you need, or maybe you're just in a little slump that will pass. Sorry-I'm no help, I can just totally relate to what you're saying.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Take a weekend off.

I know how you feel, It's the winter blues, I'm sure of it.

Take a bit of time to do nothing. Recharge the batteries. The training you miss now won't make a difference in the long run.

Do something relaxing, Then come back fresh.

Don't forget to forgive yourself for missing some training.

I took one of my drop back weeks and made an almost nothing week and I feel alot better about my training now.

Good luck!

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 pm

...let it out.....let it ALLLL out!!
Seriously!

The fact that THAT can make it to your lips is a step.

Stella and I are going through the same thing....8rs a day at work, from work to our house for a 1.15 hr ride, followed by a trip to the gym for a core workout, pick up dinner and get home by 8pm. Eat, admin stuff for TTW then its out like a light at 10 till 4:30am and up to get ready for a swim. Its exausting!!!

BUT..... its the thrill of the race...the thrill of sweatin your ass off in the Gats...the satisfaction that it will bring you on race day....THAT is what you need to think about on those days where you feel like everyone feels while training for your events.....

Take a week....do not look at your bike...your shoes or your speedo....then re-evaluate!!!

We ALLL hit that wall of frustration...it's what you DO with it that counts....

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 pm

You did quite a bit of racing last year, young Eric .....

Did you even take a bit of a downtime, that is transition period, since World's ??

You are still young and Iroman will always be there in the future ...

As I always say, if it ain't fun, then why bother doing it ....

The question that I will always ask first is ...

What do you want ?

and,

How badl(e)y do you want it ??

As others have said ... take some time off to reflect and ask yourself what is it that you want to do? what are your current priorities and what are you willing to sacrafice to obtain/meet those priorities?
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

garth
Bill Crothers

Re: Reconsidering everything

Postby garth » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:56 pm

Iron Terrible wrote:For more than one year, I have been working simultenously on my CMA, MPA and Ironman.

This is very stressful and I am getting weary.

I need some leisure time. I want to read a book, spend a weekend with Hélène relaxing at home or out just to ride our bikes nowhere, play a computer game, watch movies, watch tv shows or play boardgames.

On the other side, I feel guilty when I miss a workout. I don't know if I can just quit.

Think you answered your question. Go with what your heart wants to do and generally your head will follow even if it does not agree.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

blue_cup
Ben Johnson

Postby blue_cup » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Eric, you definitely have a lot on your plate right now. Stuff that needs a lot of focus and dedication. My thoughts would be this - put Ironman training on the side and focus on your MPA and the CMA program.

Completing your MPA & CMA is something that you only have to get through once and the benefits will be with you for the rest of your career. Ironman training will always be there, won't it? I just think that your education might be more important right now & that it would be difficult to find time to fit in everything.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 pm

blue_cup wrote:Eric, you definitely have a lot on your plate right now. Stuff that needs a lot of focus and dedication. My thoughts would be this - put Ironman training on the side and focus on your MPA and the CMA program.

Completing your MPA & CMA is something that you only have to get through once and the benefits will be with you for the rest of your career. Ironman training will always be there, won't it? I just think that your education might be more important right now & that it would be difficult to find time to fit in everything.

Those are my thoughts. And yeah...I'm not a Darksider :roll:
You sound burnt out and like you need to have some fun. And it sounds like training is not much fun these days. Of course...as James says this could be a case of the winter blahs...take a week off like BMan suggests and see how it feels after that week.

Remember...it's not all or nothing. You can still do Tri's.

You can come to Kingston and do long course at K-Town...just a thought :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:42 pm

Actually we just finished an easy week didn't we?

I don't think you are physically burnt out. All your workouts are strong and you have guts.

More like no time to do everything you have on your plate.

Make a list of why and why not. Put everything that comes off your head.

Aaah I keep writing something and erasing it... Now i erased it ... Submit submit...
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:36 pm

HCiD wrote:You did quite a bit of racing last year, young Eric .....

Did you even take a bit of a downtime, that is transition period, since World's ??

I took three weeks off after. I was glad to go back to training. I was ready. I just spoke with my coach and he's okay with what I said.

If my expectations, my goals are lower, my training will be easier. Like Hélène, I like cycling and running. We will keep the workout. For now, we will swim when we feel like it and when we have the time. I won't feel guilty to miss a workout.

Tonight, I didn't want to swim. We will watch the last three episodes of Lost. But I want to swim tomorrow after my weight training. Thursday, I may swim or not. We will see but I know I want to run.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:40 pm

HCiD wrote:As I always say, if it ain't fun, then why bother doing it ....

Couldn't agree more!!
Work is work, what more can you say. Sports is my relaxation from the working world. If the sport is fun, I'm all for it. If it is not, heck with it!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:29 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!
Work is work, what more can you say. Sports is my relaxation from the working world. If the sport is fun, I'm all for it. If it is not, heck with it!

Hmmm yeah and the muddier, muckier, slipperier, dirtier, crazier the better right André? :roll: :D :lol:

Ironman Cozumel 2014

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:05 pm

Nothing wrong with taking a break. Sometimes the head needs a rest :)

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

Northern girl forever wrote:
Sir Crashalot wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!

Hmmm yeah and the muddier, muckier, slipperier, dirtier, crazier the better right André? :roll: :D :lol:

Right on! The idea is to have fun. And, if I can push my comfort zone right out the window at the same time, it's icing on the cake :D

This still holds very true & dear to me & I'll gladly repeat it:
If you are looking for someone totally untrained to show up on race day & go for it, I'm the guy! Makes for really good funny stories on human suffering! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:
Sir Crashalot wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!

Right on! The idea is to have fun. And, if I can push my comfort zone right out the window at the same time, it's icing on the cake :D

If you are looking for someone totally untrained to show up on race day & go for it, I'm the guy! Makes for really good funny stories on human suffering! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You sure are something Sircrashalot! And your laugh is contagious :lol:

Ironman Cozumel 2014

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Eric, I think you know I can totally sympathize with you on this one. While training and racing at different levels, we both know what it is to be so over-scheduled. Rest is good. Take a short one. Put things in perspective and do what feels good!! :)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Tri_K wrote: I'm already thinking that I don't want to do this back-to-back years

x2

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:16 pm

You have a lot on your plate and you didn't include on the list that you have a day job too!! :shock:

Allow yourself to take a break and decide what your most important priorities are and see where you can cut yourself some slack i.e. can you reduce your course load by a class and take an extra semester or choose a race later in the year to focus on? You don't want to over do it and find your self run down and sick. You deserve to have down time too.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Take some time for yourself, you've earned it. Maybe get all those exams out of the way and then come back to Ironman with a vengeance when the fire has been re-kindled. It must be so tough doing all that IM training if the motivation is not there.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:
Sir Crashalot wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!

Did Cr@sh just imply that he was gonna race IM Wisconsin with IT this year ?? :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Iron Terrible wrote:I need some leisure time. I want to read a book, spend a weekend with Hélène relaxing at home or out just to ride our bikes nowhere, play a computer game, watch movies, watch tv shows or play boardgames.

We're still interested whenever you are free!
Up next...
More running!

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Postby bicycle.boy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 pm

HCiD wrote:
Sir Crashalot wrote:This still holds very true & dear to me & I'll gladly repeat it:

Did Cr@sh just imply that he was gonna race IM Wisconsin with IT this year ?? :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Sweet, Crash! Give 'er!!
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 am

Funny, I did two Ironman since I posted this more than two years ago. Now, Challenge Copenhagen in less than 4 weeks and Wisconsin 5 weeks later. I still feel the same.

I now realize I enjoy training more than racing but the crazy long days kill me. I don't even enjoy racing at Ironman level. So, I'll train less and feel better about it. I'll race when I want to and without any expectations or pressures.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Madame Bourette wrote:Funny, I did two Ironman since I posted this more than two years ago. Now, Challenge Copenhagen in less than 4 weeks and Wisconsin 5 weeks later. I still feel the same.

I now realize I enjoy training more than racing but the crazy long days kill me. I don't even enjoy racing at Ironman level. So, I'll train less and feel better about it. I'll race when I want to and without any expectations or pressures.

First off...hi Enfant Terrible :D :D

I don't train nearly the amount of time you do but I can relate.
This summer is the first time since 2004 that I have not been race focused in my training.
I'm enjoying the flexibility. I've been able to plan some fun stuff on weekends without the fear of how it's going to interfere with my long run.
I haven't stopped running (with the exception of the month after my accident in April) but I've done pretty well all my runs sans Garmin and I'm not keeping track of my runs at this point.
It will be interesting to see how the next six months unfolds.

Have fun in Copenhagen...I'll try to make plans to see you and North in Ottawa...probably after you've done your two races.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:15 pm

Hello Madame Bourette! Long time no see!
I am happy that you found something that makes you happy... & doesn't necessary involve racing or pb'ing!
Enjoy the training & the vacation with North of ...
:D

Return to “The Dark Side”