Base building for triathletes?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Re: Base building for triathletes?

Postby eljeffe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:39 am

ROW wrote:my body usually starts around over 5 min k's, but I usually end up averaging around 4:40 k's. I just go by feel no matter what. No pace zones or anything. If I feel tired, I go slow, if I feel good, I pick it up a bit.

Well that might be a good place to start. You should expect to feel good at the start of every workout (particularly during base building phase) due to rest, good nutrition, and the fact you're doing easy workouts. It doesn't mean you should pick it up, it means you should complete the workout.

Careful not to compare yourself to what you think the elites are doing. I can promise you they all have a base building season that looks nothing like what you plan to do. I train with a young elite guy who's trying to make it as a future pro. He is really fast, but when we run together we go about 5:00/k. His race pace is about 3:15/k.

I'm not an elite, but I do want to get fast next year. The next 3 months for me are off-season "maintenance" workouts, maybe 4-6 hours per week. During my base buildup I will gradually increase that. As Mark said, base building isn't race season. You're just getting your body ready for the training ahead.

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:19 pm

http://www.clubespoir.com/

5-6 of those young athletes are doing a sport-études program. If you live in Aylmer-Gatineau, that's the club to train with.
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 pm

I think you should listen to the old dudes who have posted here now rather than revisiting once you have put yourself in the hospital.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Have you ever seen the Karate Kid? The real one with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita?

Heed the advice of Mr. Miyagi: 'wax on, wax off.'

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:Have you ever seen the Karate Kid? The real one with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita?

Heed the advice of Mr. Miyagi: 'wax on, wax off.'

Miyagi: Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home. Understand?

Miyagi: You remember lesson about balance?
Daniel: Yeah.
Miyagi: Lesson not just karate only. Lesson for whole life. Whole life have a balance. Everything be better. Understand?
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Madame Bourette wrote:http://www.clubespoir.com/

5-6 of those young athletes are doing a sport-études program. If you live in Aylmer-Gatineau, that's the club to train with.
Aylmer, Ontario.

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:09 pm

I have a 2 local clubs I could join, multi sport zone junior, and add activity. But i've never heard of any good add acitivy juniors, and multi sport zone doesn't produce very good junior triathletes. I have a coach in mind, he lives about 15 minutes from where I live, so i'm looking into him.

Sorry everyone for being so difficult about this, I'm just so new to this, and I want to be really good.

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:24 pm

ROW wrote:Sorry everyone for being so difficult about this, I'm just so new to this, and I want to be really good.

You're not being difficult, you're being 15. :lol:

Learn to listen, whether it's to your coach, to people you ask for advice or even to your peers.
Learn patience, you won't become world class in one off season of base building.
Learn your craft; base building is not designed to make you faster, it makes you stronger.
Provide honest feedback; don't claim paces and performances you can't back up.

You already have the desire to succeed and the heart to train hard; you can go far with that. If you learn to listen, learn patience and gain a solid respect for the process, you will become really good. I promise.

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:36 pm

1Ironatatime wrote:
ROW wrote:Sorry everyone for being so difficult about this, I'm just so new to this, and I want to be really good.

You're not being difficult, you're being 15. :lol:

Learn to listen, whether it's to your coach, to people you ask for advice or even to your peers.
Learn patience, you won't become world class in one off season of base building.
Learn your craft; base building is not designed to make you faster, it makes you stronger.
Provide honest feedback; don't claim paces and performances you can't back up.

You already have the desire to succeed and the heart to train hard; you can go far with that. If you learn to listen, learn patience and gain a solid respect for the process, you will become really good. I promise.

I guess i'll see what kind of paces I am able to run on Thursday. It's a 5km xc race thats actually 5km exactly.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:35 pm

ROW wrote:I have a 2 local clubs I could join, multi sport zone junior, and add activity. But i've never heard of any good add acitivy juniors, and multi sport zone doesn't produce very good junior triathletes. I have a coach in mind, he lives about 15 minutes from where I live, so i'm looking into him.

Sorry everyone for being so difficult about this, I'm just so new to this, and I want to be really good.

Add Activity is no longer.. I trained with them for the past 2 years.. and I wouldn't recommend them at all for you.. If you can.. go to Multi Sport Zone..
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:17 pm

MINI-T wrote:
ROW wrote:I have a 2 local clubs I could join, multi sport zone junior, and add activity. But i've never heard of any good add acitivy juniors, and multi sport zone doesn't produce very good junior triathletes. I have a coach in mind, he lives about 15 minutes from where I live, so i'm looking into him.

Add Activity is no longer.. I trained with them for the past 2 years.. and I wouldn't recommend them at all for you.. If you can.. go to Multi Sport Zone..
Really? I kind of know a girl that was at Lakeside that trained with them. I guess she doesn't now? And multi sport zone imo doesn't or hasn't produced very good junior triathletes. Very weak swimmers, strong bikers, and not that good of runners.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:37 pm

ROW wrote:
MINI-T wrote:Add Activity is no longer.. I trained with them for the past 2 years.. and I wouldn't recommend them at all for you.. If you can.. go to Multi Sport Zone..
Really?

Yes. That is why Mini-T responded.

ROW wrote: And multi sport zone imo doesn't or hasn't produced very good junior triathletes. Very weak swimmers, strong bikers, and not that good of runners.

Keep in mind it isn't a factory. The output isn't solely correlated to the quality of program. The quality of athlete produced will have a lot to do with the effort and drive of the participant. For every athlete as driven as yourself, there is someone placed there with substantially less interest and work ethic.
Last edited by Double Bellybuster on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 pm

ROW wrote:
MINI-T wrote:

And multi sport zone imo doesn't or hasn't produced very good junior triathletes. Very weak swimmers, strong bikers, and not that good of runners.

Your arrogance is unbelieveable. You said...

ROW wrote:The problem is, my bike is very weak, my running somewhat okay, and my swimming is somewhat okay. ...but my riding speeds aren't where I want them.

Traci just offered a suggestion that matches exactly with what you stated was your weakness and you dismiss it out-of-hand. ****! This time I really do give up on you - you're an ingrate as well as immature.
Last edited by दिवंगत on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm

ROW wrote: And multi sport zone imo doesn't or hasn't produced very good junior triathletes. Very weak swimmers, strong bikers, and not that good of runners.

And, perhaps, you can change that, if you decide to join them and/or they decide to take you on as a member ... :wink: :wink:

Just remember that the Coaches Job (err, or Club's) is to tap into each individual's potential to maximize their output ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 pm

I happen to have a great training partner and friend who is "really good" at this sport.. and by really good.. I mean REALLY good.

One day, when we were going at an easier pace on a long ride I asked him how he did it. What did he do to get to the top? How did he train as a junior, how did he rise through the ranks?

The thing he said was most important was PASSION. A pure love of training and racing and getting out there every day... the rest he said was just minor details.

That being said.. cycling is the least of your worries.
You need to swim A LOT more over the winter. Your pace is far behind the swim kids who are entering triathlon.
And a fast run is built in our youth... year round fast running (indoor track, x-country, etc..) is a must.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:09 am

mytrilife wrote:I happen to have a great training partner and friend who is "really good" at this sport.. and by really good.. I mean REALLY good.

One day, when we were going at an easier pace on a long ride I asked him how he did it. What did he do to get to the top? How did he train as a junior, how did he rise through the ranks?

The thing he said was most important was PASSION. A pure love of training and racing and getting out there every day... the rest he said was just minor details.

That being said.. cycling is the least of your worries.
You need to swim A LOT more over the winter. Your pace is far behind the swim kids who are entering triathlon.
And a fast run is built in our youth... year round fast running (indoor track, x-country, etc..) is a must.
Yeah, my swimming is still pretty weak compared to other triathletes. I need to get better all around. I'm just going to do whatever my coach/club or whoever i'm with at the time tells me to do. This thread has helped to me really realize to understand more about triathlon base building. I guess I just had something stuck in my head that was perfect, but it would just be disaster.
Last edited by ROW on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:15 am

1ironatatime-I know what you mean, and I know about that. I just mean. I want to be better at everything, not just one stand a lone discipline. I'm not dismissing it, I just don't think i'm interested in joining with them. Of course, i'm going to check them out and everything. Sorry, I didn't mean to be immature. I honestly didn't think about it in that perspective.

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:13 am

Issue concluded in PM's.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:12 am

Multisport Zone just sent out their Junior Triathlon winter training information. It is quite intensive and you should give them a call, have them send it to you/your parents.

I got the e-mail yesterday if you are on their mail list...
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:21 pm

MINI-T wrote:Multisport Zone just sent out their Junior Triathlon winter training information. It is quite intensive and you should give them a call, have them send it to you/your parents.

I got the e-mail yesterday if you are on their mail list...
I'm not on the emailing list, could you send it to me through pm? I'm pretty sure i'm going to check out the place on Sunday. Coach vs club, it's a hard decision. I still have a bit of time to choose though.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got on the emailing list.

Return to “The Dark Side”