When to do Ironman

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

When to do Ironman

Postby tri princess » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:57 pm

I would like to have some opinions to help me make a decision.

I really, really want to do an Ironman. I just have to give it a try! I can't stop thinking about it! I know it's really hard but I also know that a lot of people who are like me in some ways have done it and I would like to do it, too.

I am planning to do IMC in 2012 but I know that there are still Foundation slots for 2011, which makes me think of just taking the plunge. My husband says I hold myself back all the time but sometimes I think I am only being reasonable. I can't decide which it is this time.

Here's the current state of things: I have to drop 25 pounds. I have done one half iron (GWN) and it took me 8 hours. I have bad arthritis in both hips. I have run a grand total of 6K since April. Most of that time I didn't know what was wrong with my hips so I wasn't managing the situation and I was afraid to run. I don't know what it would be like now. I can swim 2000m now (maybe more but I've never tried); my swim pace is around 2:35. My cycling fitness is reasonable. I've still ridden my bike a fair bit this year. My only goal would be to finish IMC and I would seriously be completely happy with 16:59.

With all of this in mind, is it a bad idea for me to think of doing IMC in 2011? I would have 8 months to train, assuming that my body would cooperate. There are 150 IMC foundation spots left so maybe I could try running for a month and see how it goes and then if it's OK, I could register. I could think of other ways to train e.g. cross country skiing or water running. But maybe I am too fat, too slow, and too arthritic to even contemplate this (and I am completely aware that this might be the reality). I just really want to do it!

I have to time to devote to training this year. I'm just finishing up my PhD and will hopefully start a new job as a professor in the late summer. Next year would not be as flexible timewise as it is right now but lots of people do this with families and full time jobs.

I value your honest opinions about what makes sense for me.
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

When to do Ironman

Postby Jwolf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:36 pm

With my limited tri-experience as an observer, I would think you'd want your half-iron time closer to 7 or at least 7.5 hours before considering IM. Maybe that should be your focus this year?

Also you'll be on your feet for a long time either way, but you might consider training/planning to walk the 26.2 miles and figuring that into your equation.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: When to do Ironman

Postby seuss » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:39 pm

well i will be there in 2011 if that influences your decision!

you have the time to train. so if your goal is just to finish, i say do it. either way, making a decision and sticking to it will help with all of the should i/shouldn't i stress.

but you should. just sayin'.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:30 pm

Realistically, I would say do it in 2012.

I would say train for the HIM distance for 2011 - you really do not know how your body is going to adapt to the huge increase in training, due to the time off that you have been forced to take. It would really suck to register and then find out that you are going to have problems. Build up your running mileage to the half distance and see how you feel.

That and I learned the hard way that you can only really figure out if your nutrition works properly when you race with it i.e. for me Cliff bars work great on the bike but come back to haunt me on the run in a HIM - I didn't have any issues in training, but I would have hated to find out that lesson during the full marathon of an Ironman.

I was originally hoping to do IMC in 2012, but due to the stomach issues I had most of last year I want to have a solid HIM season before I fully commit to the full distance so I am planning for 2013 (but I currently plan to volunteer in 2012 :shifty: )

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I really want to see you succeed and enjoy IMC!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:38 pm

yeah, I'd also say 2012.

It sounds like you'd be starting your training from very little base.

From my experience, a first IM time is about your HIM x2 + 2 hours or so.....

If you want to drop 25 lbs, that's really hard to do while training for an IM as well.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:38 pm

I would take a look at what CinC does, and develop those habits. After you get the non-negotiable routine down, then you'll be ready. I suspect more than a year.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:51 pm

My first HIM was 6:48 on a very flat course. My first IM (a year later) was 16:33, so IG's formula kind of fits.

That said, you can't always judge your readiness for IM based on a HIM time. The HIM is a completely different race and has different challenges. Personally, I find the fact that you're running at high noon in a HIM to be very tough. Whereas at IM, most of your running is done late in the day and at night (when it's cooler). But that's just me.

I also think that it's more an issue of whether you are ready/able to TRAIN for an Ironman. When you did your HIM, you were training for a HIM, not an IM, so you can't necessarily correlate the two. You get the race you train for.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 am

Another vote to wait until 2012 (and not just because we can share the race course). Echoing what others have said, you are coming off of virtually no base right now and taking an extra year to build it back up is a good idea.

Like IG said, weight loss and IM training does not go together. You could focus on a weight loss/strength/rebuilding program over the winter and spring then work on slowly building the aerobic base over the summer and fall. Take a rest break then start 2012 training a year from now.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:10 am

Seuss, I appreciate your enthusiasm! Another friend from my tri club said the same thing and it does feed my excitement about Ironman!

But don't worry, I don't think that anyone who is telling me to wait until 2012 is a party pooper, as Eme said. :) I am happy to hear these responses because they make a lot of sense and they actually fit with my gut feeling about it. I was worried that I was being too conservative but I guess this time I was just being sensible.

I need to get my HIM time down a bit and use this year to build my base and test out my hips. I have been doing yoga and strength training faithfully for the last three months, which I think will help my performance along with my flexibility and arthritis management. I've been spinning twice a week and swimming once and will add more swimming in January. Tomorrow is the Resolution Run, which will be a true baseline test for me as far as running goes.

I think I have a good plan that will get me safely and gradually to a HIM this summer and set me up well for Ironman in 2012. Thanks for encouraging me to just stick with my plan so I can get to a fun and successful Ironman. :)
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:10 pm

I was in the middle of reply this morning and then hit the power switch on my computer! d'oh!

anyway - when I first read your post, one part of me said 'go for it', but another part of me went 'I dunno' - i'm glad that you're thinking of waiting until 2012. 2010 was a tough year for you wrt to the injuries you were dealing with and jumping into ironman training asks a lot of you - not only physically, but mentally and also just time management wise. You do build it up, but having a good base to start from is a good thing, and I'm glad to hear that you're building that.

Use 2011 as a solid base building year - get in a lot of saddle time, get your hair wet in the pool and explore the running paths. Also, get in a few races. Ironman is doable for anyone I think, but in my opininon, to get the most of the day, it's also learning a lot about yourself and stretching yourself in those months leading up to that race. It's a long day and you ask a lot of your body and your mind on that day. You want to be able to have it respond when you need to. And when it can't, you know a way to make it.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:40 pm

I'll be cheering in 2012 :)

I'm waiting until 2015. I don't see a problem with long, long term goals!

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 pm

FishPants wrote:I'll be cheering in 2012 :)

I'm waiting until 2015. I don't see a problem with long, long term goals!

I've been feeling old this year, like I'm running out of time, which is probably where the urge to do an Ironman sooner rather than later is coming from. I am 15 years older than most people finishing their PhDs in my department and at least that much older than most people doing their first IM. The arthritis has made me feel even older. But, I am realizing that I'm only as old as I feel and act and that I actually have time (as much as anyone can tell) to achieve my goals. After all, Sister Madonna was 55 when she did her first IM!

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 pm

I think you answered your own question.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:46 pm

It's sorta like having a baby... you're never really ready until you do it ;-) but I say 2012 gives you much more time to put in a solid base.
Just call me the thread killa

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:12 pm

ROW wrote:I think you answered your own question.

I think I knew in my gut what the answer was but it was very helpful to have good advice from people who have experience with this distance. I appreciate it. :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

When to do Ironman

Postby Jwolf » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:23 pm

I think that's a good decision. Not necessarily 2012 but putting off IM till your half-IM time is stronger. Looking ahead- I do wonder what it will be like to train for IM in your first year as a prof. I don't know if you have kids- but that year of my dh's life was quite busy for sure. Be prepared for IM training to take as much time as a serious part-time job. The good thing is that you'll be able to get into a regular training regimen this year.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:47 pm

the thing is is that I'm sure you COULD do an IM this year....but, it won't be pretty! ;)

The other thing to remember is that there are very few people that train too much on the bike - it's hard to fit in enough bike training as it is.......it's a LOT of time.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Jwolf wrote:I think that's a good decision. Not necessarily 2012 but putting off IM till your half-IM time is stronger. Looking ahead- I do wonder what it will be like to train for IM in your first year as a prof. I don't know if you have kids- but that year of my dh's life was quite busy for sure. Be prepared for IM training to take as much time as a serious part-time job. The good thing is that you'll be able to get into a regular training regimen this year.

I guess that because I'll be going into my first year as a prof, I was thinking that this year might work timewise better than next year will. But I also know that lots of people work and train for Ironman so maybe I can do it, too. I do have kids but they are in high school and university so they are less dependent than younger kids. I do like to see them but they don't require all of my attention anymore. I think it will be very good to see what I can do with my HIM time this year. I had some trouble with nutrition at GWN, which cost me some time, so it will be good to learn to manage that better. Also, I learned about where my training had been effective and where it wasn't so I can address that this year.

All in all, even if I could pull it off this year and even if maybe I should just seize the day, it'll be better to work through this sensibly and with a good plan.

I decided I am going to aim to do the ChelanMan half iron in Chelan, Washington. The climate and course are similar to Penticton so it will be a good test.

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Irongirl wrote:the thing is is that I'm sure you COULD do an IM this year....but, it won't be pretty! ;)

The other thing to remember is that there are very few people that train too much on the bike - it's hard to fit in enough bike training as it is.......it's a LOT of time.

It definitely wouldn't be pretty this year!

I want to try to focus especially on the bike and put in the time necessary to get my bike time into a good range. It will help me on the run, which is a bit of an unknown at the moment because of my hips.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Sounds like you've got a plan! Taking the year to build your base up seems to be a pretty smart idea. Good luck with your halfs this year!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:01 pm

A full IM takes a long time. I know that during ultra training, I had to get my mind around the long hours it takes to finish. I had to be disciplined about week after week going out there and spending the time until my mind got used to it.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm

You'll do it TriPrincess!!!

I have to agree with the rest- give it until 2012. I was training last year for Florida (and had to pull out because of a new job) and my training plan was 14 months. There was a lot of base building in there, but it gave me the confidence to know that I would finish because I could do the distances.

I am in with you for 2012!

Jenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm

You did it!
Just call me the thread killa

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:45 am

I saw that! Congrats, Sarah! :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

When to do Ironman

Postby Kelodie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 am

Good job! Congratulations. :)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Return to “The Dark Side”