No more IMC?

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

No more IMC?

Postby Mark.AU » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:15 am

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/164814296.html

Fraser's out; this may be an opportunity for Rev3 or Challenge to come into Penticton if WTC doesn't handle this well as there will always be a race there, the economics are just too good for the city. This might not be a bad thing, either; to be honest I wasn't that impressed with the 2011 race - wrong medals, lack of water, etc. It wasn't even close to Switzerland in terms of organization and race event experience.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: No more IMC?

Postby La » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 am

I've only experienced IMG twice - as a spectator in 2005 and a participant in 2006. I thought it was a great event - on par with what I experienced in Lake Placid (which was still Fraser's race at the time). My experience at LP in '09 (after Fraser left) wasn't as good, but it was more about the overall feel of the race than anything specific.

I think as many of these races are pushing to maximum capacity it's taking away from the race a bit.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:09 am

Is there really a chance that WTC will drop it completely?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:37 am

Jwolf wrote:Is there really a chance that WTC will drop it completely?

Not that WTC will, but maybe the city of Penticton will choose not to renew its partnership with a WTC-led race.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 am

La wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Is there really a chance that WTC will drop it completely?

Not that WTC will, but maybe the city of Penticton will choose not to renew its partnership with a WTC-led race.

Gotcha.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:35 am

Mark 2.0 wrote:http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/164814296.html

Fraser's out; this may be an opportunity for Rev3 or Challenge to come into Penticton if WTC doesn't handle this well as there will always be a race there, the economics are just too good for the city. This might not be a bad thing, either; to be honest I wasn't that impressed with the 2011 race - wrong medals, lack of water, etc. It wasn't even close to Switzerland in terms of organization and race event experience.

The WTC is focused on making money. IMC is profitable. This is just part of their strategy. I highly doubt IMC is going anywhere.

Anyone who thinks IMC is "the best" though needs to go race in Europe. My last two IM's in Regensburg, Germany were far better. My wife and I managed to get in to Roth for next year... which is apparently the best triathlon on the planet... can't wait!

Challenge Family is probably waiting for the right acquisition to make the entry in North America. I'm not sure IMC is it... to much M-Dot history?
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Wu wei wrote:Anyone who thinks IMC is "the best" though needs to go race in Europe. My last two IM's in Regensburg, Germany were far better. My wife and I managed to get in to Roth for next year... which is apparently the best triathlon on the planet... can't wait!

Challenge Family is probably waiting for the right acquisition to make the entry in North America. I'm not sure IMC is it... to much M-Dot history?

A little off topic but Roth is truly an incredible experience. If it is a nice day you will be left speechless going up the Solar Hill. Regarding the Challenge series coming to North America (specifically Canada), there have been some discussions but it is very expensive and North America is very IM centric so it is a huge risk to take on the financial commitment without any guarantees of registration numbers.

On topic, my feeling is WTC will be in Penticton for many years to come. There will be fights at council meetings over the WTC race lease agreements but there is so much money pumped into the area not only for the race but for visitors training throughout the year.

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:39 pm

Interestingly, from the thread on Slowtwitch, there seems to be some chance that Challenge Family may be interested in Penticton.

I think that would be incredible if the race left the WTC. The Challenge series have shown me to be much more interested in putting on excellent races, rather than maximizing profits.

There are a lot of pro M-dot forces in Penticton though. We probably won't know until after Kona.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Wu wei wrote:Interestingly, from the thread on Slowtwitch, there seems to be some chance that Challenge Family may be interested in Penticton.

I think that would be incredible if the race left the WTC. The Challenge series have shown me to be much more interested in putting on excellent races, rather than maximizing profits.

They were at one point interested in Niagara, what ever happened to that? Now that the full went to Tremblant you'd think there's an opportunity here in Ontario.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:30 am

Challenge Penticton (Canada) will be announced today. Rumors of Ironman Kelowna now circulating too.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:57 am

Mark 2.0 wrote:Challenge Penticton (Canada) will be announced today. Rumors of Ironman Kelowna now circulating too.

Wow. :( End of an era.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:28 am

Why sad face? Different brand, probably better product, same course. What's not to like?

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:57 am

It will be interesting to see if IMC becomes a Challenge race. After hearing amazing things about Roth and Cairns, it would be a new spin on it, that's for sure. I saw Challenge Cairns signs all over the airport months before the race in the Cairns airport last November. That was very cool.
Carm

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:27 am

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:38 am

Taking place on Aug. 25, 2013, Challenge Penticton will bring a new race experience to a time-honoured course. Athletes will benefit from the inclusion of relay teams, festival events and the unique Challenge Family atmosphere popular throughout Europe and beyond.

Relay, eh ???? :shifty: :wink:

In addition to reducing the opening registration fee to $675 CDN (including taxes), Challenge Penticton will offer value to athletes of all abilities and backgrounds with an enhanced experience and the race field will be restructured to include wave starts, which will allow the addition of relay teams for the first time in Penticton. In addition, professional triathletes will benefit from a prize purse of more than $60,000 CDN (50,000 Euro) prize purse paying down to 10th place.

eta: Wondering, if they will be allowing this year's volunteers first dibs to register onsite for 2013, considering that it is a new organization, etc. ??? :what: :what:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:40 am

Wow. Relays! And wave starts! Those are two really big changes.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:58 am

Mark 2.0 wrote:Why sad face? Different brand, probably better product, same course. What's not to like?

A race is more a location or course, there is an entire atmosphere around the race that is a lot of what Ironman Canada was about. There's no guarantee "Challenge Penticton" will generate the same enthusiam as "Ironman Canada" did, or that participants/spectators will grant it the same level of importance.

If they can maintain it - cool. But it's a risk that a great event will become "meh". I certainly wouldn't travel across the country to do "Challenge Penticton" until they have demonstrated it will be the same calibre.

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:10 pm

While I tend to agree, the Penticton race existed before the IM brand took over - it's just that it's been under the IM banner for so long that it seems synonymous. It will take some getting used to. And may even bring in a new bunch of people who don't like IM-branded races and have avoided Penticton for that reason.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 pm

jonovision_man wrote:
Mark 2.0 wrote:Why sad face? Different brand, probably better product, same course. What's not to like?

A race is more a location or course, there is an entire atmosphere around the race that is a lot of what Ironman Canada was about. There's no guarantee "Challenge Penticton" will generate the same enthusiam as "Ironman Canada" did, or that participants/spectators will grant it the same level of importance.

If they can maintain it - cool. But it's a risk that a great event will become "meh". I certainly wouldn't travel across the country to do "Challenge Penticton" until they have demonstrated it will be the same calibre.

jono

Fair enough, but compared to other races I've done, WTC and otherwise, it wasn't that great IMO. Not meaning to be combative, but you've done only one WTC IM and one 70.3? There's a bunch more out there, and better run too.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:21 pm

The only non-WTC long-course race I've done was run by Sommersault (half-Iron, twice), and it doesn't even begin to compare.

I doubt that I'll do another full-Iron distance again, so it's unlikely I'll be able to compare first-hand as a participant.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Mark 2.0 wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

jono

Fair enough, but compared to other races I've done, WTC and otherwise, it wasn't that great IMO. Not meaning to be combative, but you've done only one WTC IM and one 70.3? There's a bunch more out there, and better run too.

I've done several triathlons outside of WTC, and you're right, they are generally quite well run and many of them have things that make them special. Could very well be that "Challenge Penticton" is one of them. For now, it feels like a loss, in a year or two who knows.

jono
Visit my blog!

tri princess
Bruce Kidd

Postby tri princess » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:15 pm

I feel like this is a loss, too.

I know the change brings new opportunities but I just really wanted to do IMC the way we have come to know IMC. I did IMCdA this year and it was awesome and I have been waiting to sign up to do IMC next year. IMC is the race that most western Canadians do and I feel a bit sad that I won't be able to do it just as so many of my friends have.

I'm not usually a brand focused person but strangely, the brand seems to matter to me today.

It will take some getting used to.
Dissatisfaction is a great starting point, for it is right there that we have the most power, strength, and energy to push change through. ~ David DeNotaris

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

No more IMC?

Postby IronGoddess » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:42 pm

I agree with TriPrincess. Can I still get the tatoo even if it is not an 'ironman'race?
IMC 2015

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Running Goddess wrote:Can I still get the tatoo even if it is not an 'ironman'race?

Uh-oh, you just stepped in it! :lol: That one has been fiercely debated in every corner of the internet!

Obviously the accomplishment is the same, just like anyone who has completed a marathon has completed a marathon. Nobody would say you accomplished anything less, certainly! This one is apparently the same course, so it's literally the same accomplishment.

The question is, do you want a company's logo on you that has nothing to do with the race you did? Up to you to answer! There are some alternatives (140.6 tattoos, etc).

jono
Visit my blog!

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Haha, seen on Facebook (a poster around these parts I believe!):

"Yes instead of Randy you are an ironman they will say ...Randy you are Challenged!"

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “The Dark Side”