A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Ironman Canada - Whistler!

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Aug 24...

http://www.whistler.com/ironman/?gclid= ... Qgod8XgAlg

Whistler welcomes Ironman Canada, August 24 2013

In August 2013 Whistler, British Columbia will come alive when it hosts the annual Ironman Canada event for the very first time

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Re: Ironman Canada - Whistler!

Postby bnn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:59 pm

sweet!
Just call me the thread killa

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Looped swim and run. One thing I liked about the Penticton course was there are no loops.

I am glad the race is not so close to the Okanagan, maybe the Penticton race will have a chance to succeed as well.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:23 pm

YAY!! So awesome. :) Almost makes me want to do IM (maybe someday...) but at least I will try to volunteer. It will also be much better for spectating if anyone I know is doing it.

I actually was just coming here to post but Jon beat me to it....

Here's the release from the IM site:

http://ironman.com/mediacenter/pressrel ... z291qJfSoC

eta: The IM site actually has Aug 25 (Sunday) as the date, not Aug 24.

Registration opens next week, October 18.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Meh.

Glad it's still out west though.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

VDoT
Bruce Kidd

Postby VDoT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Like there was ever any question to the new location?

Whistler and Ironman had this in the works since February

I am glad it is in the West but would probably still choose Penticton over it.
Dan

Coming up in 2015:

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 pm

That's cool that it's so close to Van but yeah, bummer about a looped course.
Carm

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Cool... I would volunteer for that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Slightly disapointed there will not be a ironman within a 3hour drive, but really would I want to do one so close to home? Nope not epic enough.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 pm

I’m excited about the news, but a little disappointed that it's a loop course for the run, but logistically I think that is the best way it will work. I will certainly like to try and volunteer next year if I can, being that it is so close to me why not (1.5hrs away). But part of me wants to be in Penticton at my BIL's place to watch Challenge unfold next year too. :think: :think:
Last edited by Stampie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Re:

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Cool... I would volunteer for that.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

+1
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:01 am

Too bad it's not Muskoka but glad it's not Kelowna. Holding it on the same date as Challenge Penticton seems churlish, but I hear that after next year it settles permanently to a late July date.

I don't mind looped courses - don't really understand why anyone does, actually - two loops for the swim might cause some congestion for the very fast swimmers, single loop bike and a two loop run to mentally break it up.

I doubt very much I'll race it any time soon, even with the extra Kona slots next year. I have a score to settle with the Penticton course and Challenge delivers, by all accounts, a great product. But, before going back to any course I have already raced, there's just too many out there to try; Mont Tremblant, Arizona, Lanzarote, Cozumel, Sweden... The list goes on.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:48 am

Annelizabeth wrote:Slightly disapointed there will not be a ironman within a 3hour drive, but really would I want to do one so close to home? Nope not epic enough.

Mont Tremblant is within a 3-hour drive! ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:20 am

Mark 2.0 wrote:I don't mind looped courses - don't really understand why anyone does, actually - two loops for the swim might cause some congestion for the very fast swimmers, single loop bike and a two loop run to mentally break it up.

agree on the loops. I like them, especially on the run, and it's a good way to break the day down. and from a spectator point of view, I'm confused by all the comments.

I think it'll be interesting to see how everything shakes out.

Saw a tweet with a link to this blog with an unofficial course preview:
http://thesarcastictriathlete.wordpress.com/
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 am

When Whistler was first talked about as a front runner, I have to be honest, I was skeptical that it could be pulled off. I know the area relatively well as I have skied, biked, hiked or run in most of the area. I’m not a fan of looped runs, but that is just me. When I was thinking of the course, I could not get past the idea of how the run that part of the course would unfold. After reading what is supposedly being proposed, it might just work. The run course will likely need some temp lighting for the day of the event if they plan to incorporate the trail system in Whistler (i.e. Lost Lake). I wonder if they will use the 20K loop that is part of the Whistler 50 in November and just add to that.

The bike course offers different challenges in itself and the way that it is laid out seems to incorporate what the area has to offer. I know the ride from Pemberton to Whistler will be torture after already being on the bike for some time. I’ve only done that part once and it was on my mtn. bike. Let’s just say it sucked the life out of me and the beer at the end never tasted better, that was back in 1998 when I first did the Sea-Sky trail ride. The Callaghan Valley part of the race will offer a workout early in the race, but you be paid back with a nice downhill on the return.

This IM course should be relatively spectator friendly, but getting into and around Whistler during the day of the race could pose to be a nightmare. I can’t see them closing the entire Hwy., but something will have to be addressed there. Let’s see what happens as news beings trickle thru.

For the record, I’m not a triathlete but I do like doing all disciplines and would like to do a tri in the very near future. This is just my perspective since I know the area fairly well.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:47 am

Stampie wrote: but getting into and around Whistler during the day of the race could pose to be a nightmare. I can’t see them closing the entire Hwy., but something will have to be addressed there. Let’s see what happens as news beings trickle thru.

Great analysis. The quote above was my concern too. How much are the locals and weekend tourists willing to endure? What kind of volunteer turnout will there be?

Were in another Roth/Frankfurt situation here. I think both races will do fine and draw their respective crowds. Personally, I prefer the hot weather and beaches and lakes in and around Penticton. I would be interested to see how the hotel prices play out in Whistler with Ironman in town...

Heard they upped Whistler to a P2000 today from the original P1000 ranking too. Responding to criticism or a mistake in the original press release?

Challenge Penticton announced Steve King as the announcer yesterday as well as a 10 year deal with Macca... that I think will see him on the start line in Penticton next summer. Weak rumours of a Wellington start in Penticton out there too... but nothing definite.

The battle between WTC and Challenge should be a win for all participants, regardless of the race.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:10 am

Whistler hosted the Olympics. :) I'm pretty sure they can handle this.

That is going to be one tough bike course. The road going up to Callaghan Valley is steep and windy.

Interesting about Steve King (the voice of "ironman"??) and Macca with Challenge Penticton.

Wu Wei wrote:The battle between WTC and Challenge should be a win for all participants, regardless of the race.

I agree. I think it's great if Challenge ends up being seen as an equally appealing iron-distance race. Monopolies are never good.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 am

Steve King isn't the "voice of Ironman" - that's Mike Reilly (who uses the tag line of 'xxx, you ARE AN IRONMAN').

Steve King actually knows most of the competitors and says something a bit more meaningful about them.

So I'm not surprised in the least that he'll be announcing at Challenge Penticton.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:40 am

Wu wei wrote:Personally, I prefer the hot weather and beaches and lakes in and around Penticton. I would be interested to see how the hotel prices play out in Whistler with Ironman in town...

Whistler can get extremely hot in the summer, I've been there for a few slo-pitch tournaments and often it is over 30C during the day. The valley seems to lock in the heat. This could pose a challenge if they look at setting a date in July for 2014 and onwards as rumoured to be.

There is no denying that there is no lack of accommodations in Whistler. I certainly believe there will be deals out there for athletes and spectators. If booked well in advance, I don’t see much gauging. The only downside to booking early is the possibility of a no cancellation policy.
Last edited by Stampie on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:49 am

CinC wrote:Steve King isn't the "voice of Ironman" - that's Mike Reilly (who uses the tag line of 'xxx, you ARE AN IRONMAN').

Steve King actually knows most of the competitors and says something a bit more meaningful about them.

So I'm not surprised in the least that he'll be announcing at Challenge Penticton.

Ah, OK. That makes sense. :)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:01 pm

there's that sweet new hostel down the road... I checked it out one day with friends because we were in the area. It's one of the former athletes village buildings, and the prices are great for the newness of the building. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but, they have secured it to Whistler thru 2017, apparently ... and, may be in July starting in 2014 ...

The Aug. 25 date is the same as Challenge Penticton, the triathlon event that replaced Ironman Canada. This past year there were 3,000 athletes signed up for Ironman Canada, and just under 2,700 at the start line. It's unknown whether the two events will split the long-distance triathlon community down the middle, but plans are being made to host future Ironman Canada events — 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 — at the end of July to avoid conflict.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/whistler-confirmed-for-ironman-canada/Content?oid=2329716
Last edited by HCcD on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:49 am

HCcD wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but, they have secured it to Whistler thru 2017, apparently ... and, will be in July starting in 2014 ...

The Aug. 25 date is the same as Challenge Penticton, the triathlon event that replaced Ironman Canada. This past year there were 3,000 athletes signed up for Ironman Canada, and just under 2,700 at the start line. It's unknown whether the two events will split the long-distance triathlon community down the middle, but plans are being made to host future Ironman Canada events — 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 — at the end of July to avoid conflict.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/whistler-confirmed-for-ironman-canada/Content?oid=2329716

Registration opens today at 12noon pacific.

The article is alluding to the race date changing to late July. Like I said earlier...

Whistler can get extremely hot in the summer, I've been there for a few slo-pitch tournaments and often it is over 30C during the day. The valley seems to lock in the heat. This could pose a challenge if they look at setting a date in July for 2014 and onwards as rumoured to be.

Also, a late July race date will also likely mean day light till about 9:30-10:00pm.

I’m looking forward to trying to volunteer in 2013 and the years to come.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 am

I'm glad they moved the date to July starting next year because it will give people more options, but either way not many people would be likely to do both events. Hopefully it will just draw more people and both races will thrive.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Ah, IMC...someday! Who's registering???
Carm

Return to “The Dark Side”