Paris Grand 1/2 Marathon Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
deb
Bill Crothers

Postby deb » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:05 am

fantastic job Robbie-T, and great race report!

deb

wind-hater
Bruce Kidd

Postby wind-hater » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:34 pm

Robbie, very nice time brother - way to give er!
It's never too early to taper or to carbo load !

Scotty
Bill Crothers

Postby Scotty » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:51 pm

Hoorah, excellent effort, excellent result!!!
For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer.
~Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy, you have to earn."

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:38 pm

a sub 1.40 on the same day that Roy Williams grabs 3 TDs for the Mighty Lions of Detroit as they beat Arizona...you must be smilin
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:53 pm

Hey Rob -- between your report and having driven the course on Friday, I almost feel like I was there--except I wasn't. Impressive run on that course, mister. Congrats on that awesome, hilly, windy PB!

I'll try to actually BE there next year.
BG

MsMartini
Bruce Kidd

Postby MsMartini » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:31 pm

Excellent! Great job!
MM
2005: CBCF Team Leader over 4K raised!!, TIM 5K - Angus Glen 10K

Upcoming Events:
Santa Shuffle 5K Newmarket - Dec 3rd, 2005
Chilly 1/2 Marathon - March 5th, 2006

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:17 pm

How to be, Robbie-T!

kzod wrote:Simply outstanding. Not sure what amazes me more, that you can do that on a bum leg? Or the fact that you could be so fast, and still only rank as 'middle of the pack' in your ag, That was obviously some stiff competition!

Kzod, that really amazes me too, that even in my age group (40-49), how fast the athletes are... I recall seeing something in Runner's World, I believe, about there being a 7 year period that runners can improve before plateauing... there may be hope for me yet!

DeValera
Tom Longboat

Re: Paris Grand 1/2 Marathon Report

Postby DeValera » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:51 pm

Robbie-T wrote: I heard that the wind gust where up around 50km/h!!...3 weeks after Detroit Marathon, a stump for an ankle, hills, wind, I can still go lower. :D

Robbie - congrats on a fine recap and wonderful race. Do you think any part of the success could have been from distractions and low expectations?

For others it goes to prove - don't quit before the start line - show up, go out and see what happens on the course.

Fine job, I'll expect you to blow by me a couple of times in '06. (Chilly, ATB, Tough Ass, Miss. & NCM)

DV

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:39 pm

DeValera wrote:Robbie - congrats on a fine recap and wonderful race. Do you think any part of the success could have been from distractions and low expectations?

For others it goes to prove - don't quit before the start line - show up, go out and see what happens on the course.

Fine job, I'll expect you to blow by me a couple of times in '06. (Chilly, ATB, Tough Ass, Miss. & NCM)

DV

I went into this race with a goal of sub 1:40, but yes I did have a backup plan that still included PBing, you are correct there were a lot of distractions but also a lot of excuses that I could have used and just gave up. I do agree you never know what kind of race you will have until you get across the start line.

I'll see yah at a couple of those races for sure, Chilly and Tough Ass maybe Miss., make sure you say "Hey Robbie-T!!" if you see me.

:D
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:30 pm

Outstanding! Congrats!

JulyButterfly
Bruce Kidd

Postby JulyButterfly » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Wow! Wow! and Wow! congrats on your PB! :)

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:26 pm

That is an awesome improvement in your PB!! Six and a half minutes off a 1.45 time e is amazing and shows you've being putting in some real quality training. And it was done on a wonky leg. Wow!!!!!

That "slow" marathon helped by being more of a last long training run. I would say a sub 3.30 is coming up in the spring.......but no pressure.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:48 pm

Wow Robbie that is a fabulous time! Way to go! Plus it sounds like a super tough course. My friend, who is a Boston marathoner, ran it and said it was one of the toughest races she's done!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:13 pm

Robbie-T wrote:

I didn't see BaldGuy, I don't think he made it, however I did meet Sheldon (a lurker) from Georgetown that introduced himself to me, he was a nice guy and had a nice race too.

I am that lurker, but I just gotta come out to describe the race from a little furthur back in the pack. I was having a nice race, for about the first 15K. My only previous half (Scotiabank) took 1:57, and I was on track for a 1:51! I'm thinkin, you know, if I pick it up a bit in the last 3K, who knows, I could beat 1:50. Then, at 15K, as Robbie said, we turned straight into the wind. It was like a huge hand holding me back. I tried to keep up my pace, but 3/4s of the way through my second Half Marathon, that was neither wise nor possible. My heart rate and breathing went up, and I grudgingly slowed down. It was disheartening. I felt like I was dragging myself through the last 3K, and of course the biggest hill is right at the end. Once around the track, and I finished in 1:53:22.
In retrospect I am pleased as heck at my personal best, on a tough course and a tough day. It is my first year of racing, second year running, and I have come a long way. Before you try to cheer me up, you have to see MY picture, it pretty much shows it all:
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?PhotoCard?id=07D50002000F001200160021LBZHAMMT

Just to put Robbie's smiles into perspective. The first thing he said to me when I walked up to him was "Are you Baldguy?"
Last edited by Doonst on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:26 pm

Doonst wrote: Just to put Robbie's smiles into perspective. The first thing he said to me when I walked up to him was "Are you Baldguy?"

Yeah yeah I know he's got more hair then 3 guys, but I thought maybe it was like when give a real big guy a nickname skinny, or a real grumpy guy the nickname happy.

Great run Doonst, and nice meeting you, see you again at the Egg Nog Jog where we will take on some more lovely hills.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Nice one both of you! Wow you are fast, 1:39 - way to go!

Jocelyn 8)

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:31 pm

A bit late arriving here... but the sentiments are the same, nonetheless... WOWSERS! :shock: A really fantastic job, Robbie-T! :D :D
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:34 pm

nick wrote:That is an awesome improvement in your PB!! Six and a half minutes off a 1.45 time e is amazing and shows you've being putting in some real quality training. And it was done on a wonky leg. Wow!!!!!

That "slow" marathon helped by being more of a last long training run. I would say a sub 3.30 is coming up in the spring.......but no pressure.

I've been rolling this around in my mind since you've posted this, are you serious? Is 3:30 possible for me within a year if I keep up my training?
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:15 am

Doonst wrote: I am that lurker, but I just gotta come out to describe the race from a little furthur back in the pack. I was having a nice race, for about the first 15K. My only previous half (Scotiabank) took 1:57, and I was on track for a 1:51! I'm thinkin, you know, if I pick it up a bit in the last 3K, who knows, I could beat 1:50. Then, at 15K, as Robbie said, we turned straight into the wind. It was like a huge hand holding me back. I tried to keep up my pace, but 3/4s of the way through my second Half Marathon, that was neither wise nor possible. My heart rate and breathing went up, and I grudgingly slowed down. It was disheartening. I felt like I was dragging myself through the last 3K, and of course the biggest hill is right at the end. Once around the track, and I finished in 1:53:22.
In retrospect I am pleased as heck at my personal best, on a tough course and a tough day. It is my first year of racing, second year running, and I have come a long way. Before you try to cheer me up, you have to see MY picture, it pretty much shows it all:
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?PhotoCard?id=07D50002000F001200160021LBZHAMMT

Just to put Robbie's smiles into perspective. The first thing he said to me when I walked up to him was "Are you Baldguy?"

Solid run Doonst. That's just a plain fast time for your first year of racing. Congrats!!

lbgradwell
Tom Longboat

Postby lbgradwell » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:08 am

Robbie-T wrote:
nick wrote:That is an awesome improvement in your PB!! Six and a half minutes off a 1.45 time e is amazing and shows you've being putting in some real quality training. And it was done on a wonky leg. Wow!!!!!

I've been rolling this around in my mind since you've posted this, are you serious? Is 3:30 possible for me within a year if I keep up my training?

I'll answer on Nick's behalf while we wait for his personal reply!

In short, yes; a 3:30 is a definite possibility, Rob. I'm a big guy like you and my first (and only) marathon was a 3:39:26. I think I could manage a 3:30, but I have still never gone under 1:40 for a half (1:41:27 PB).

My challenge is to find the maximum training my body will permit (not a lot, by the way) while remaining uninjured...

LG
Carpe Viam! ("Seize the Road!")

Maniac #132!!!

paulg
Tom Longboat

Postby paulg » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:06 am

Fantastic Rob, great race and sounds like your on a roll. Way to go and congrats with the PB.

Paul

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:24 pm

lbgradwell wrote:I'll answer on Nick's behalf while we wait for his personal reply!

In short, yes; a 3:30 is a definite possibility, Rob. I'm a big guy like you and my first (and only) marathon was a 3:39:26. I think I could manage a 3:30, but I have still never gone under 1:40 for a half (1:41:27 PB).

My challenge is to find the maximum training my body will permit (not a lot, by the way) while remaining uninjured...

LG

Interesting, and thanks, what was your training schedule like for that marathon?

I'm starting to realize that larger runners need to train a bit more conservatively, similar to Masters runners. I generally don't see myself as a larger runner, when I get to the starting line I feel like all the other 160-170 lb runners there. But I guess I am, carrying an extra 40-50lbs for 42.2km takes a slightly different approach to finishing faster then just muscling my way through a 10k or half race.
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

lbgradwell
Tom Longboat

Postby lbgradwell » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:22 pm

I used Hal Higdon's Novice Schedule since it only called for 4 runs a week, and that is my maximum. In fact, even then, I find it hard on my body, so I tended to alternate weeks of 3 and 4 runs.

I did no strength training and no speedwork at all, and my longest training run had been 32km, and only one of those.

I had decided based on my times over shorter distances that a 3:45 goal was realistic, but changed that to 3:40 a few days before the race.

I didn't really even find it difficult until about 37km, but I must admit that it took some willpower to stay on pace for those last 6.2km!!!

I used a HRM and made sure my HR stayed in the appropriate range. I can run even splits all day long, so I don't think I was more that 20-30 seconds off pace the entire race, and finished 34 seconds under my goal time!

I'm pretty sure I could have gone 3-5 minutes faster that day, and subsequently trained for a second marathon with a goal of 3:20. All was going well, and I think I had a reasonable chance, when I suffered a stress fracture 6 weeks before the race and had to ditch. Xrays and a bone scan revealed I also have osteoarthritis in my right hip, and it aches when my mileage goes above half marathon distance...

I've never tried another marathon since, but I'm confident that I could do a 3:30 simply by adding some strength and/or speedwork.

LG
Carpe Viam! ("Seize the Road!")

Maniac #132!!!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”