Navy 10K - Hmmmph

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
q
Bill Crothers

Navy 10K - Hmmmph

Postby q » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:38 am

My knee has been bothering me all week (since last Sunday's 5K), but I did the Navy 10K anyways..

I got a somebody to cover for me for little but at work, and squeezed in another race during a coffee break.

Things were ok. I didn't start out too fast, (worried about my knee) and was on pace for a PB for only the first 3K. The long incline bothered my knee a little. By the time 5K rolled around, I decided a PB could be done, but I wasn't willing to trash my knee to do it. And I had a lack of motivation due to this as well.

But, I did a sprint in the last 200m to try to crack 50 minute mark.

49:54, oh well, my worse 10K, I believe. I even did better with the broken rib last year.

Well, yesterday (today actually) is history. I think I will take a camera with me on the run of Quebec City.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:14 am

What a great way to spend a coffee break! Well done.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:36 am

Still a good fast time!!! Well done!!!!!!!!!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:00 pm

10k race during a coffee break?!! not to shabby.

good job on your decision to save the knee.....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:15 pm

What? no little curly haired girl to pace off? That must have totally threw off your race.

Good idea to save your knee, you have 42.2km next weekend that you might need it for.

Rest up.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:30 pm

...nice coffee break run.....add an espresso to that break and maybe it woulda been a PB!!!!

Rest for a bit....
B
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Dang! I didn't realize the 10k was this weekend. I would have come up to cheer you on. Good job on saving your knee.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:30 pm

another solid coffee-break performance. take care of that knee.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HaliGal
Percy Williams

Postby HaliGal » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:14 am

Good job, Q - iffy knee and all! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to threadjack to put in a review instead of starting a new thread about the same event.

Overall, it was a pretty good event:

Pluses: relatively flat course by Halifax standards, good course marshalling, well-placed water stations, low cost, good breakfast afterwards, friendly organizers and volunteers at every part of the race.

Minuses: race kit pickup was fairly disorganized (and only available on race day), no bag check (or advance notice of where you could stash your stuff). Not a dealbreaker, but it really bothered me because I didn't have a car to lock things in or a lock to put on a locker.

All in all, I would run it again next year, especially since I took 1:30 off of my 10k PB.
Coming up in 2008:
Blue Nose 1/2 May 18 (2:33:04)
Lunenburg Heritage 5K & Muffin Festival (31:21)
HBC Run for Canada 10k July 1 (1:09)
Support the Troops Navy 10k August 17 (1:07)
Valley Harvest 1/2 October 12
Santa Shuffle 5K December 6

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:30 am

HaliGal wrote:Good job, Q - iffy knee and all! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to threadjack to put in a review instead of starting a new thread about the same event.

Overall, it was a pretty good event:

Pluses: relatively flat course by Halifax standards, good course marshalling, well-placed water stations, low cost, good breakfast afterwards, friendly organizers and volunteers at every part of the race.

Minuses: race kit pickup was fairly disorganized (and only available on race day), no bag check (or advance notice of where you could stash your stuff). Not a dealbreaker, but it really bothered me because I didn't have a car to lock things in or a lock to put on a locker.

All in all, I would run it again next year, especially since I took 1:30 off of my 10k PB.

In previous years they used to have a Sat. kit pick-up at the Northend Beverage Room before it burnt down. (Where the empty lot is next to the Needs store. Another reason to cry for a pub burning down!

Good job on getting a big PB Haligal.

BTW, did you see the Seussapallosa Halifax Meet and Greet Thread in the M&G section. It looks like Tuesday. You are more than welcome and encouraged to come.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:10 am

We want you finishing upright and smiling in QC city B!! Good chance you were reasonable for this 10K race!! Better get a PW than ruining your knee!! See you soon!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:28 pm

Dr. Sonia wrote:We want you finishing upright and smiling in QC city B!! Good chance you were reasonable for this 10K race!! Better get a PW than ruining your knee!! See you soon!

UGH I hate to see PW. I just do.

But it will be nice to see you! :wink:

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:02 pm

Cracking 50 is always nice. Well done.

Lots of nice scenery in QC, but I don't know about schlepping a camera on the course; but then that's not my style.

It may be your style. Enjoy the Marathon des Deux Rives and romping about the second-oldest city in Canada (St. John's is no. 1, I believe...) :D

If you like it enough to do it again, Sanders and I will join you next year... :D

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Hermes wrote:Cracking 50 is always nice. Well done.

Lots of nice scenery in QC, but I don't know about schlepping a camera on the course; but then that's not my style.

It may be your style. Enjoy the Marathon des Deux Rives and romping about the second-oldest city in Canada (St. John's is no. 1, I believe...) :D

If you like it enough to do it again, Sanders and I will join you next year... :D

Oh, it's not a question of liking it enough.

I still have quite a few provinces to do before I collect the whole set. :wink:

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:49 pm

Q wrote:
Hermes wrote:Cracking 50 is always nice. Well done.

Oh, it's not a question of liking it enough.

I still have quite a few provinces to do before I collect the whole set. :wink:

just completed my provinces set on the weekend! and visited both the oldest and second oldest cities. forgot to run while there though - probably the incessant downpour in both places...

territories will take another trip!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:37 am

Nice impromptu race!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Run/Race Reports”