La's Soggy Muskoka 70.3 Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:24 pm

Excellent race in tough conditions!

Take a well deserved rest.

horselady
Bill Crothers

Re: La's Soggy Muskoka 70.3 Report

Postby horselady » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:31 pm

waynerdog wrote:
La wrote:Just as I was leaving the end of the aid station, I saw a handmade sign that said, Don't Stop! Never Give Up! You can Do it! And I actually started to cry. Here I was doing the thing I loved to do, when others can't (for whatever reason) and I'm complaining because of the weather??? :oops: I was wearing my RM Buff around my wrist at that time and I was reminded of Spencer and of MrBond's son, Stephen, and had to get a grip because if this was the worst day I'd had in a while, it was still better than some people's best day. So I decided that no matter how much it hurt, I was still going to run the flats and the downhills. I was not going to give up.

This brought tears to my eyes.

I am very, very proud of you.

Me too,
Congratulations on the AG placement, toughing out what sounded like a real touch race..you are inspiring! :D
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

FishHog
Bruce Kidd

Postby FishHog » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Way to go La, sounds like a tough day and a tough course. I'm not sure your helping in my decision to do this race next year or not. :?

FishHog
In order to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Kudos La......... Very tough conditions. I loved how you dug deep to find a reason to run........ Your race report is great, let it be a reminder for you on the long hard days towards IMLP.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Great report of an excellent race for you Lesley. The conditions and the course made for a challenging day and you rose to the challenge with great style and determination. You looked good when I saw you at the start of your run and you finished in fine style. Third place is none too shabby either! :clap:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: La's Soggy Muskoka 70.3 Report

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:02 pm

horselady wrote:
waynerdog wrote:
La wrote:Just as I was leaving the end of the aid station, I saw a handmade sign that said, Don't Stop! Never Give Up! You can Do it! And I actually started to cry. Here I was doing the thing I loved to do, when others can't (for whatever reason) and I'm complaining because of the weather??? :oops: I was wearing my RM Buff around my wrist at that time and I was reminded of Spencer and of MrBond's son, Stephen, and had to get a grip because if this was the worst day I'd had in a while, it was still better than some people's best day. So I decided that no matter how much it hurt, I was still going to run the flats and the downhills. I was not going to give up.

This brought tears to my eyes.

I am very, very proud of you.

Me too,
Congratulations on the AG placement, toughing out what sounded like a real touch race..you are inspiring! :D

Yep this part of the report had me feeling pretty reflective.
La...you're amazing. I'm glad you're a Maniac.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Nice race (and report), La! Way to stick it out through the rain...I definitely admire all of you that were out in that weather! Blech! Now, enjoy your rest time!
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:01 pm

You should be proud of your accomplishment...maybe not exactly what you had hoped for, but nonetheless. I was hoping you didn't have the humidity, but not sure what your preference would be.
That bike part would have been a little scary, but great job on gutting it out and proving (once again) the determination and grit you possess as an athlete.
I bet you will still hammer it out at Scotia too!!
Oh, and congrats on your placement, Lesley.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

JLA
Bruce Kidd

Postby JLA » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Way to go La! That was me who hollered at you on Hwy 60 (you were looking strong n' focused, btw!) But what impresses me most about your race is the way you fought back the demons when you weren't feeling strong and focused...most people tend to go inward and feel increasingly sorry for themselves when the going gets tough, but the way you turned your 'mental' around by thinking of others is truly inspirational-- esp. given the conditions!

I couldn't agree more about the last 5k on the golf course...I thought it was unnecessarily brutal/unsafe for an event with such a big profile. Having it as the first 5k would have been far safer.

Congrats and enjoy your rest week!

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm impressed! Thoroughly impressed! Congrats on finishing what may be your toughest race ever!

BRACEBRIDGE next year?? (There's a Du and a Tri!)
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:24 pm

Congratulations on finishing a tough race. And it's nice that you don't think anything of helping other athletes on course. Rest up for that HalfM.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:00 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Mike from Creemore
Tom Longboat

Postby Mike from Creemore » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:00 am

Lesley congrats. You should be proud of your results under the conditions. Your attitude is awesome!

shaggytour2005
Tom Longboat

Postby shaggytour2005 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 am

LA,

I was up there to watch for a bit and I cannot believe the weather and course you folks had to conquer. Awesome work gutting it out for the entire race. I heard some people had to stop and walk with their bikes because the rain was coming down so hard. Great report.

PS - amazing sportsmanship sharing your tube. Completing this course and helping others out is a big win in my books.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:50 am

shaggytour2005 wrote:I heard some people had to stop and walk with their bikes because the rain was coming down so hard.

This is true. On one of the final climbs I did see at least one person walking up the hill. Without the right gearing, walking might have been some people's only option. I was likely only cycling about 6kph at that point myself! Just fast enough so as not to tip over. :roll:

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:04 am

Congratulations on such an amazing race! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did you realize that that was the reminants of Hurricane Ike and Tropical Storm Lowell? I only went outside once during that storm to let the dogs out to pee with the umbrella over them and make sure the storm drains were clean! My Labradors didn't want to stay out in that!! You did an amazing job in such brutal conditions. I am so proud of you and all the Maniacs!

Cheers on the Good Karma, for the tire thing. That is a wonderful thing to do during a race! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Loved the report. Great result, even better attitude, Lesley - especially in those conditions. I guess the rain washed away all the tacks...

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 pm

La, fabulous report.. you've worked your hiney off this summer..

As for your award.. get that sucker! It's pretty darned nice, and what a memento!

I cringed when the weather turned here on Saturday, knowing what you would have to be dealing with.. :(
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:59 pm

Awesome...simply awesome...you made me tear up and you made me smile...congratulations!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:53 pm

Wow what a race :!: I have nothing but admiration for you :!: Congratulations La :clap: :clap: and thanks for a great report :D
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:11 pm

Great report as always. Congrats on the AG bling. :D

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Wow! Hope they send you the award- that is cool!! La, I'm super proud of you. It was such a tough day and you did amazing! I love how you were able to break through the mental barriers throughout your race, too. That ability is going to help you continue to race well!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:45 pm

An inspiring performance and a touching report. I like how you took a moment to remember and dug deep to keep going. Congrats on a tough race!
Ultrarunner again

mayhem
Bill Crothers

Postby mayhem » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:44 am

Amazing results La! Congrats on a difficult day. I was working outside and was soaked, I can't imagine racing a half Iron-man in those conditions. Would love to see your award!
Cheers,
Jenn, RYT

Past accomplishments: 3 halfs - 2:17:04 PB; 1 30km and numerous 5kms and 10kms :)
"Success is my only motherf*****g option, failure's not" Eminem~Lose Yourself

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:01 am

Way to go La!. Congrats on a tough race.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”