Striders Disney Goofy Challenge Race Report 2009

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Strider
Jerome Drayton

Striders Disney Goofy Challenge Race Report 2009

Postby Strider » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 am

The Disney Goofy Challenge (where you run a half-marathon on Saturday and full-marathon on Sunday) was always one of those crazy - "why would anyone do that?" races. That was until a year and a half ago a friend of mine, Andy (not HCmD), suggested doing it....needless to say we ended up registering for the 2009 edition.

Knowing that I would need to keep the 1/2 fast but under control, I asked Kim to join me for it - this would be her 1st 1/2 marathon and it would be great for both of us as I could pace her and be there for support through the rough sections and she would help me to keep a steady pace.

On the Friday before the double header, there is a family 5k fun run called 'The Circle of Like', so since the kids were coming down we decided to register for that and make it a true family race weekend.

We met up with Andy and his wife and all ran the 5k on Friday. The kids actually got to appreciate the race environment and not only have a greater respect for what Mom and Dad do, but are also actually interested in running more. How great is that?

My arbitrary goal for the Goofy was a combined time of 5:30. Looking back at previous year’s results this would put me in the top 5% of Goofy finishers, seemed doable. Broken down roughly into a 1:50 half and a 3:40 full.

Donald Half Marathon

The only real downside to the Disney races is that they tell you have to be on the buses by 4:00am, and you really do. This means having to be up at 3:00. It really is not a bad as it seems, really. So we were up at 3:00, lined up for the buses at 4:00 and on our way to the start with 12.5 thousand other people. We met Andy and headed to the start corals. We were hoping to run the whole way all together.

Wonderful start with fireworks, we were seeded in the 1st corral so it didn’t take long to get across the start line. However, it was quite slow and we had to dodge a number of people for the 1st 3km. Wonderful running through Magic Kingdom in the dark with all the music and lights. I won’t give a lot of race details as it was Kim’s race, but we all did stay together and in the end she beat me by 1 second, running just an amazing race. I finished in 1:47:00

Between Races

So this was the important part of it all – I needed to make sure I recovered and was ready for the next morning. You can NOT fake a Marathon, it is a tough event and a 3:43 was an aggressive time given the prior days events. I did get a 20 minute post race massage and then a 15 minute Ice Bath when we got back to the Hotel (this helped amazingly). I choose to stay back at the hotel and rest while Kim and the Kids did Magic Kingdom.

Mickey Full Marathon

Repeat of the prior days activities, except no Kim this time - she got to sleep in. On the buses at 4:00 and met up with Andy and 15,000 others in the dark and slightly warmer humid morning.

Plan was to hopefully hold an 8:20/mile pace or run until I had to walk, but I had no idea how I would really do.

1st 4 miles was a loop though Epcot and back to the starting area before heading to Magic Kingdom. The race start was not as congested as the start for the half and I was able to get into my pace fairly easily. After 4 miles I was right on my overall goal pace and was feeling good and then something strange happened, I started to speed up. I was running by feel and the slower pace just didn’t feel “right”, eventually I was running a comfortable 8:00/mile and not really struggling. So I went with it.

Looping through Magic Kingdom and back out on the highway heading toward Animal Kingdom, I passed the half-way point in 1:47:02, only 2 seconds slower than yesterday’s half and I was still feeling good. Keeping this pace I could come in at 3:34, cool, but realistically I was thinking I had time in the bank so my 3:43 was getting more attainable should I need to start walking.

I kept thinking back to my first marathon and my last 6 mile death walk and how I felt though that. In this Marathon I was feeling fresher and stronger and was just clicking off the miles. Through Animal Kingdom and out for a long stretch on to the highway to the 20-21 mile mark. I passed 21 miles, still running stronger and maybe even faster just passing people the whole way. Hard to say but it was actually getting easier. Into Hollywood studios and the last 4 miles of the race, quick calculations, which I could actually still do, had me running a 3:32 if I kept it together. Out of Hollywood onto the Boardwalk where Kim and the kids would be, I really started to push. It was at that point when I realized that there was a chance I could run a sub 3:30:59 and get my Boston qualifier for 2010.

Passing by the Beach Club – yelling for Kim because I was way ahead of schedule, I found her and the kids, told them I loved them and headed for home. Back into Epcot, still passing more and more, I hit the 26 mile mark in 3:29, 2 minutes - .2 miles and BQ was mine. I accelerated as best I could; I screamed for everyone to push to the finish, crossing the line in 3:30:21. Solid!!!! I ran a 3:43 negative split, finishing the Challenge and getting my 2010 Boston qualification (already had 2009).

Conclusion

The Goofy
1 Marathon
1 Half Marathon
2 Days, 4 Theme Parks
39.3 Miles
5:17:21 – still smiling.

The Dopey (that’s me)
All above + 5k – Priceless!

Some pictures from our trip can be found here, we still have more to upload: http://thebohns.zenfolio.com/p132599190
Last edited by Strider on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 am

Solid! Bravo Mr Strider!!! Impressed me yes!
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 am

I'm not surprise you did lots of training leading up to this event.

Great work, you are the man!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 am

:D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :!: :idea: :?:

Slim....... 2008 has been your year for sure. You continue to amaze me beyond words.

You have inspired many on this board and am SURE the "Ultras" topics and the "Crazy as A$$" topics will increase by some drastic numbers given the road/trail you have blazed this year.

Well done boss....and WELL DONE pacing your little Minnie to a gread race.

Hats off.....see ya in Montreal!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:57 am

Wow, congrats!! Those are some excellent times.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am

I hate you.

Good job man. What a stellar race. Ice bath saved you methinks!

Congrats. I'm jealous on so many fronts!

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:52 am

OMG! It didn't even don on me that your marathon time was Boston qualifying! That's freakin amazing! You so rock!

I so want to do the Elaine on Seinfeld when she does the "GET OUT" to Jerry here! :wink:

And, I think it's just awesome that you ran with Kim for her first half - that's great.

Congratulations!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

MrsStrider
Bill Crothers

Postby MrsStrider » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am

You are amazing Strider my love!!! I'm SO proud of you! :clap: :clap: :clap: While I KNEW that you'd rock it, I know what a huge challenge the Dopey is and you've impressed me once again. You should be SO proud. Keep that goofy smile going - it works for you.

AND, thank you for being there, stride for stride for my first 1/2. I could NOT have done it without you, your coaching and your support.

Huge congrats, endless thanks and all my love,
You know who. :lol:
Last edited by MrsStrider on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs. Strider :)
.....What I can't do is ALL in my Head. What I CAN do is ALL in my Heart.

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:59 am

OK, that is just ridiculous. You ran your freakin' Boston qualifier as the second half of the freakin' Goofy challenge. WTF?!!!!! :evil:

Seriously, I am impressed beyond words. That is an amazing accomplishment and one of which you should be damn proud. My most humble congratulations to you, sir. :clap:

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:04 am

Congratulations for a accomplishning goofy! and congrats to Kim as well!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 am

Simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on all your results this year - your consistency and hard work continue to pay off. Bravo!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Re: Striders Disney Goofy Challenge Race Report 2009

Postby dgrant » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 am

strider wrote: The kids actually got to appreciate the race environment and not only have a greater respect for what Mom and Dad do, but are also actually interested in running more.

If your report ended there, it'd be a good one. But you BQed the day after a half marathon???? You're quite a guy David, quite a guy. 8)

Can't wait to read Kim's report.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 am

Very impressive and well-earned from all those tough training runs.

Any explanation for why the website was showing a 3:30 chip time but a 3:29 gun time? That would require making a break for it during the national anthem or something.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:40 am

Well done -- truly amazing.... inspiring to say the least!!!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:41 am

Awesome run/race Strider ... I guess that forced rest done you some good, eh !! :wink: :lol:

Great seeing you and the family over the weekend at several venues, as well .... :P :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:04 pm

Good job - I am very impressed! Wow!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Well done Strider!

So, what are you going to do for an encore? (BJH goes off to search for half marathons run in New England the day before Boston ...)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:32 pm

waynerdog wrote:OK, that is just ridiculous. You ran your freakin' Boston qualifier as the second half of the freakin' Goofy challenge. WTF?!!!!! :evil:

What Wayne said, except somehow I'm not a bit surprised. Congrats David!

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Congratulations David! Solid race(s). Not much more to say but WOW!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:45 pm

Speechless. :clap:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:03 pm

holy carp!

a negative split on a goofy marathon...

....then a BQ?!! you're a machine.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

BKv2
Bill Crothers

Postby BKv2 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:28 pm

:shock: Speechless....

I wonder how many people get on BQ when doing the Goofy...!

Awesome Strider!
BKv2
Yes... I am BACK

"I tell ya if you can say you know Brian Doan, you’re pretty much set for anything in this world" - Alex Burnet (on TriRudy)
"You must become the change you want to be" -me (adapted from a Gandhi quote)
"I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside" - U2

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm

Image Amazing! Image

ImageImage Image

What an awesome weekend - not just your accomplishment, but your whole family's accomplishments. It just brings out all the smilies in me....

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:09 pm

Run half marathon one day and BQ the next????????????????????
Freaking unbelievable. NICE ONE. 8)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:32 pm

waynerdog wrote:OK, that is just ridiculous. You ran your freakin' Boston qualifier as the second half of the freakin' Goofy challenge. WTF?!!!!! :evil:

Seriously, I am impressed beyond words. That is an amazing accomplishment and one of which you should be damn proud. My most humble congratulations to you, sir. :clap:

what Wayne said! emphatically. well done.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Return to “Run/Race Reports”