Banane's IMC race report :) Pictures added!!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
bnn
Jerome Drayton

Banane's IMC race report :) Pictures added!!

Postby bnn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Pre-amble

We arrived at our campground 1 week and 1 day out from the race. But not without troubles first. Climbing a hill we heard a sound under the hood and suddenly a burning smell filling the van. I could see the panic in John's eyes and I tried to deflect it by being positve "Don't worry honey that's the smell of forest fires".... Um. No. Turns out the broken air conditioner compressor was causing some seizing and belt rubbing/burning (the belt that runs the whole she-bang) ahh well we did manage to get that fixed.

We piled out of the van with all our gear like circus clowns and I walked about ten paces to where Eric and Helene (North of and Madame) were setting up their bikes. I was happy to finally meet them :)

I had a Saturday ride to do - 4 hours but skipped it to swim with the kids and get set up at camp. I made plans to go out with Eric and Helene the following day.

These guys are not only fast but super fun and relaxed. They reminded me of everything about the sport I love: healthy lifestyle, balance, laughter and positive attitude. We had a nice ride from Ok Falls to Osoyoos and I headed back to get their van while they rode Richter.

The following day all of us campers got up and I saw Eric, Helene and John (my ironmate) leave for their runs. The temperature was climbing. Aw man an hour run on the schedule and I got to start it after John got back from his 19km's on the HIGHWAY? :shock: I got the run done, ate some camp-cooked chef boyardee and enjoyed the next few days with my kids.

There wasn't much sleep going on at camp. Restless nights with children wetting the bed (something I hadn't imagined how to deal with in the middle of the night?) and by Wednesday I was beat and tired.

Thursday came and my friend Mike said he'd drive me out to registration and we could bike the run course. After a VERY HOT and very slow registration process (1.5 hours in the heat - no fluids on me to take in) I was exhausted. We headed out on the bike having no lunch and just water in our bottles. Big mistake. I was bonking on every hill (and they were the tiny run course hills) and starting to weave by the time we returned. I was also starting to feel the ironman madness of all the fittest looking people in the world running biking and swimming CONSTANTLY around you. I think the below-average-type people must hide in their hotels the week prior ...

Anyway I got off the bike and put on my sandals and headed to a payphone to call John to tell him I was ok and would be returning to the campsite soon when I missed the curb and fell hard against the phone booth and scraped and bruised my knee. I just sat there and cried. Mike finally saw me and got me some ice while I cleaned my knee up in the bathroom. I splashed water on my face and told myself to suck it up. Behind my sunglasses I hoped no one could see me crying anymore.

I realised now it was time to take the rest part of my taper seriously.

So Eric, Helene and I visited a winery the next day and sampled two white, two red, a sparkling and an ice wine. We then headed to the beach in Penticton to go for a swim (man this couple is very strong in every discipline of the sport). We had a nice easy swim and then changed for the carbo dinner but not before running into Heather and Jeff! We made plans to meet at dinner and share a table (for trash talk). When the dinner was over but before the athlete briefing Eric said lets go - they would just tell us the drafting rules, etc etc. My friend Mike was astonished we were leaving at this point but we had better things to do haha, like go get some DQ since there was only fruit for dessert at the dinner :twisted:

We each had a blizzard and laughed and laughed ... at one point I said this doesn't seem like we're doing things right - wine! skipping the athlete briefing! ICE CREAM?! but you know what? it was really the best thing I could do for me :)

The following day was bike check-in and I was helped by a nice volunteer who showed me the transition set up and explained how things would proceed on race day. I spent a bit too much time on my feet at the expo but soon was off to a low-key restaurant in Summerland for supper (early - 4pm) with my family and some friends who came from Edmonton to cheer.

Back at camp my best friend Cathy asked me if I heard about the new cut-off on the halfway of the run :shock: What? she told me you had to make it there by 9PM. I didn't have a clue what time I needed to be anywhere so suddenly I felt panic. I ran over to Eric and said there's a cut off on the run... he gave me a calm response of: No more ironman talk, knowing about the cut-off will not make you faster, go to bed! :) Awesome. He's right. Mike came over shortly after and said I missed alot at the athlete briefing and I said "no more ironman talk - I am going to bed" and I did. Best sleep ever. Solid. John slept in the mini-tent with the boys to help me have a restful night.

Race Morning

I rode in with Eric and Helene. We stopped at Timmies. We arrived. Energy. Energy. Body marked. Mix nutrition. Load up bike. Pump tires. Check over. Sunscreen on. Now port-o-potties - Oh sh!t there's a long line. Ok, but I have this stomach to deal with all day and I need to go. Line up took 25 minutes. Steve King is saying "10 minutes to race start" go go go get that wetsuit on. Run onto the beach - no time to meet or talk to anyone just find a place to start. Oh my god they are singing O'Canada. Quick get wet - pull up sleeves! Adjust goggles ok ok I'm wearing an extra pair cuz I didn't have time to decide which ones?! Alright GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Swim

Most relaxed swim ever. I swam ontop of the buoys practically and occasionally had to duck an arm or a kick but knew instantly I wasn't in the faster pack of swimmers I wanted to be. The pace felt very easy and I just grabbed feet and moved up a bit. Everytime I sighted I could tell there was a pack about a minute or two up that was where I wanted to be but I was happy to be relaxed as my right arm was quite bruised and sore from my fall and I had readjusted my swim goal to 1:20. I just hoped these guys were a fast enough pack to swim that time. I felt so fit and healthy the whole swim. I was even smiling most of the swim - can you believe someone can smile while swimming? Well I was! haha. I saw the divers and wanted to wave but just watched them (it's nice to be able to swim 9 strokes and not have to breathe) and smiled. I just kept thinking: I'm living my dream - what could be better?

on to the ....

Bike

I looked (on the tracking page here) at my T1 time - holy sheeshers I took my time but I was spraying on sunscreen and then got sunscreened again by the guys outside of the change tent. This was really important to me as burns and heat take their toll on my body since I'm so fair skinned. So I'm glad I took my time here even if it goes against my usual race plans! haha :)

On to the bike and again just grinning through the crowds. Sipping water for the first 20 kms.... my bike computer wasn't reading though. I didn't want to get off to readjust it so I threw out my plan to watch my average kph and just to enjoy my ride.

I took in shot blocks and a hammer bar to the base of Richter with water and nuun. I was thinking of my bottle of Perpetuem in the heat and was not wanting to stomach it so had to readjust my nutrition plan on the fly. My training has really helped me tune into what my body needs and to help me adjust so I was happy and not concerned with the change. So beyond Richter I started consuming gatorade and plenty of water. Every 10 miles I was needing a refill of both so I just grabbed it from the aid stations and dumping an extra bottle over my arm coolers to stay cool. After Richter (and it's absolute dedication to Kerry - with a woot woot!) I felt awesome. I loved the rollers and the section to the out and back. I would fly down the hill hammering the pedals (that's so NOT like me but for some reason I had a new found confidence on the bike - maybe not seeing my speed helped!) and got up the other side of each hill feeling stronger. The out and back to your special needs is a bit draining but I still had strength in my legs. I got off my bike and grabbed my pretzels, swedish berries mmmm and dumped a bottle of coke into my jetstream MMMMMMMMMM!!!! off we go!

Yellow Lake was brutal. It was so hot and you could taste smoke now. But the crowd support was fantastic. At the very top there was John :D . He said he could not believe I was looking so good - I was chatting with a fellow I was passing and we were having a good laugh about the stupid hills.

It's all downhill from here they say. Lies. Haha. But I didn't hit the breaks on the downhills!! I just tucked and flew down them! I had been playing some leapfrog with Carla at this point which was a HUGE boost to keep me going. She looked like she was having a great race too :) We chatted a bit on the flat section into town before she got away on me but I got to see her cheeky self (hopefully she gets this reference haha!) in the change tent and she was OFF! on her great marathon run!

The run

Ok the change tent I made a mistake I said I didn't want help but then regreted that decision. Everything was moving in slow motion. A volunteer came up and said do you need anything? I started to sway a bit and croaked 'water?' she handed me a bottle. I got dressed and then got the sunscreen lady who had red hair and would understand to slather me. It was cooking hot out there. I couldn't believe it. But off I went with my water bottle from the volunteer and my honey stingers... ok... hello Jordan - you're gonna do an Ironman! hold it together. There's crowds here. Smile like it's not hot and you want to jump in a cold lake! Ok, yes, this smile is no longer fake but tell you what - it hurts deep in my guts when I take a bite or drink... oooouch! I can't remember if I saw Sara and Colleen before or after my glorious sit down in the port-o-potty where I contemplated all sorts of things for about 5 minutes like why does everyone leave their pills in here and 'wonder what's in that big tinfoil package - maybe it's a sandwhich' or 'is it just me or is it hot in here' and then.... FART! ahh. Ok something at least.

At about six miles things deteriorated. I was only able to stomach a bit of water and chicken soup since everything solid or semi-solid gave me pains. I was still livin the dream though and smiled, talked to and encouraged anyone I could. At a certain point I saw Jeff and then Helene. Helene looked like she was so fresh on her way back. Wow! When you get away from the crowds and along the lonely skaha lake you start to see the breakdown. People walking, grimacing, crying. People at the side of the road laying down, throwing up, getting medical attention. One woman just sitting down and seeming to contemplate the lake but not moving forward. The smoke was bothering my eyes and I could hardly open them. Every aid station I grabbed water and ice, water and ice, water and ice - more ice please. I just wanted to get to special needs. Someone in my cheer team said they would be there, my friends, family... and even John. I picked it up to get to them. I got there running and they were chanting my name and holding signs. I grabbed John and gave him a big hug and a kiss. I shook my head and laughed and cried. I could turn around now and there was a thing of pringles in my special needs. Ooooh I grabbed them and ran away and ate the whole little tin of chips. Finally, finally I felt good!

I ran to every aid station at this point and downed water, ice and coke. I heard my coach - don't dawdle - ok coach. I'm running this second half. I could feel the momentum pick up in my legs, in my spirit in my heart. I was here, in the moment, I was running and moving ahead of others, I couldn't stop I had to keep going.

I saw my family at Cherry Lane screaming and holding up signs: Ironmom! We love you Jordan! Go Mom! :) My kids were there and cheering. I tried to hold back tears and just kept one foot infront of the other.

To the finish. There's Sara and Colleen again!! Colleen runs over and gives me a giant hug! and says go go go! There's my friend Cathy - "Jordan she says - you can make it under 15 hours!" I say no way?! I had no idea what time it was or what time I might make it in. Oooh that cruel out and back section. There was another friend, Amber!, she's cheering so loud. The crowds are spectacular. This is incredible! wahooooooooooooooooooooooooo there's the finish line. I ditch my glowstick, I take my arm warmers off and adjust my bib. The finish line is all mine baby!

There's a catcher on the other side. He's laughing at the smile on my face. We laugh a lot as he takes me over to the food table to offer me some gatorade? ewww! I just want to get to my family on the other side. I tell him that and he wants to make sure I'm ok but he says I look great so go.

I hug and thank my family and friends on the other side. I see Carla and we cheers our champagne bottles and congratulate each other on finishing. After a few sips I need to lay down so I do that and just grin.

Was that fun or what?

John is exhausted. He's managed to see me on the swim/bike and run course and watch the children most of the day. He still manages to get my bike and bags and walk 12 blocks to get the van for me.

We drive to the campsite and John and I stay up until 1pm talking about the day. The next morning we were up at 5 to pack up.

I really wanted to go see the finisher's merchandise but made the call that morning that saying goodbye to my dad and his wife who were staying at the campground as well as my new (and very wonderful) friends Eric and Helene was far more important than some swag. I have to say I was sad to say goodbye to them. But it was great to swap race stories. I loved how Helene said the bike course was easy. This girl makes racing fun and she makes me laugh like a fool :)

Congrats to everyone racing. You all rock!

For me - I'm going to do it again in 2011 for sure. Right now though I am just enjoying the glow and have my new goal of a sub 6 hour half-iron in 2010.... ready coach? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Pictures to come :DImage[/img]
Last edited by bnn on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Just call me the thread killa

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:59 pm

YAY!! Loved your report (not nice to make me cry at work though!). You deserved this so much! Congratulations. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Congrats! That was a great report.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Wow. I still don't know how you iron-people do it but I think your sudden no-more-stress attitude in the final hours is a good lesson for any type of race.

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:12 pm

That must have taken a fair bit of time to write, but that was awesome.. you did great.

Congrats!!!
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks for sharing ... Congratulations, You Are An Iron(wo)MAN :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm

wow! i couldn't through that without crying -- between the maniac friends, your positive reflections, the cheer crew and the Ironmom sign -- it's wonderful to read that you were so (deservedly) supported out there.

i've been reading your blog all year and really admire your attitude and perspective going into this race. so happy you had a positive race experience to match!

congratulations!! :clap:

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Congratulations, Jordan.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:27 pm

Jordan, this report is downright inspirational. Congrats on a great race, IRONMAN!

*sniff*

Pass the tissues, my allergies are getting to me. :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:38 pm

That was just about the best race report I've ever read. Very proud of you, IronJordan!!! :D

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:40 pm

amazing amazing amazing report. i can just feel the emotion coming through - the struggles, the elation, the pride.

congratulations on this huge accomplishment, and thank you for sharing your journey with this.

(now...to stop reading these IM reports before I do something silly like decide to do one myself some time!)
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:44 pm

Great report, Jordan! Congrats on your race and your positive attitude throughout the day. What a rush, eh???
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Loved your report Jordan!

What an awesome experience for you!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:52 pm

That report was worth waiting for. :)

Congratulations once again, my friend. You are a true inspiration.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:56 pm

ultraslacker wrote:YAY!! Loved your report (not nice to make me cry at work though!). You deserved this so much! Congratulations. :)

I'm crying too! Thanks for such a great report!! AWESOME IRONMOM!!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:02 pm

YOU ARE MY IDOL!!! I AM SO IMPRESSED!!!!

BossLady came to talk to me right after I read it and I sort of had to look normal… it was hard!! Tears of joy.

You worked so hard for this result, you DESERVE all the glory that goes with it!!!

CONGRATS to you on your awesomness my friend :D
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Great report! It was so great to see you and to cheer you on. I do have a picture of your cheer team at cherry lane that I will have to pass on to you.

You have come so far and crossed the finish line. Congratulations again.

a-slow-5
Jerome Drayton

Postby a-slow-5 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:24 pm

ultraslacker wrote:YAY!! Loved your report (not nice to make me cry at work though!). You deserved this so much! Congratulations. :)

Exactly!

Jordan, you did us all proud! Congratulations on a fantastic Ironman race. Such a huge accomplishment and yet sounds like you had so much fun out there doing it! YAY!!!!!
Treat a child as though she already is the person she's capable of becoming. - Haim Ginott
Keep going. Never give up. - Spencer Dolling
Run like hell, feel like hell, look like hell! - Nick
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. - Cheryl Crow

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:35 pm

way to go Jordan!!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:40 pm

Awesome race and report. I am really happy that your family could be there to see you race.

I hear you on the stomach issues on the run - I had the exact same problem at my HIM this summer.

You rock, you are my IRONHERO!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:44 pm

What a great report! You make it sound so easy and fun. :D

Congratulations on your first IRONMAN! I'm glad you had such a positive experience.

I agree with you: Eric and Helene are sweeties.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:58 pm

"I am living my dream...what could be better?"

Yep...that pretty well sums it up :D

What a heartfelt wonderful report. You worked hard for this...and you got your reward. As you well know sometimes things happen on race day and people don't get their reward.

I'm really happy that Eric gave you such sound advice. And that you took it!!! And that you enjoyed his company and Helene's so much.

Congrats Jordan..."you done good" :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Beautiful report! I loved reading it :) I am so proud of you and you are such an inspiration :)

I hope Colleen told you the hug was from both of us! I can't move fast enough to chase you :)

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:00 pm

You are awesome. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your day with us. You are truly inspiring.
Green Smoothies Rock!

SuperboB
Bill Crothers

Postby SuperboB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:09 pm

WOW, what an experience!!! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Up next...
More running!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”