Road 2 Hope Marathon - Hamilton - Nov 1/09

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Road 2 Hope Marathon - Hamilton - Nov 1/09

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:44 am

I did my second ever Road Marathon on Sunday. After 7 Ultras this summer I figured I had the distance thing figured out and have been working on adding some speed. My goal was a 3:30 finish!

Race day weather was great for early November, cloudy with a light breeze and about 4C with an expected high of 9C. These conditions were similar to Vulture Bait two weeks before and the Toad a month earlier. I was dressed in shorts , compression shirt , long sleeve tech T as well as my shell.

Race kit pickup was at Confederation Park on Lake Ont. We were bussed up the escarpment to a high school where the race started. Had about an hours wait before the race began. I sat and took it easy contemplating what I was about to do.

The race started at 08:15 , it took a half minute or so to hit the timing mat and there was allot of traffic making it difficult to nail the 4:55 pace . Things thinned out over the next few Ks and I was able to pick it up and then set the cruise control. By 8K I met up with the 3:30 pace Bunny. I was getting a little tired of checking my Garmin so I settled into a pack of 20 or so running with the Bunny. I had never done this before and it was a really cool experience running in a group. We were into a light breeze but the group was so tight only the front runners were feeling it. 45 minutes into the race I did my first Gel . After 10K I was really starting to settled into the pace and running with the group. 90 minutes in I gelled again , I had consumed one water bottle of heed and was feeling amazing.Around the 18K mark I really felt strong and was thinking about passing the Bunny but my goal was a 3:30 finish and there was allot of Ks ahead. So I stuck with the group , the running felt effortless ... breathing was relaxed, heart rate was good and I was a comfortable temperature. We passed the half way point a minute or two a head of schedule. At around 22K we headed down the escarpment on what seemed like and endless downhill. At the beginning of the descent I had a small stitch that came and went and I was feeling a bit of pressure in the bowl. The Bunny used the downhill to bank a little time. Passing the 24K mark one of the runners in the pack yelled out " we just did a 4:36 Km" . At that moment my day began to fall apart! At 25K my legs turned to stone , I couldn't believe it . My first though was that they were cold but this didn't happen in the two Ultras ran in similar conditions. Suddenly I was falling off pace , the legs were getting heavier and the Bunny was off in the distance and I was being passed like I was standing still. I ran the 27th and 28th K a minute off my planned pace. At 29K I stopped at a porta potty , tried to relive myself but nothing happened. Stopped again at another porta potty at 31.5 K and this time things were moving, what was going out had the same consistency as what was going in....I knew the day was over this point. I was pretty sure that the gels, heed and water I had been consuming were not being processed. This was definitely the hardest I have ever hit the wall, it felt more like the wall fell on me! I managed to run the next couple of Ks around a 6 minute pace but things were getting worse and I started walking at 34.2K. Over the last 7 K I walked 9 times for a total distance of about 2.65 km , when I did managed to pick it up the most I could do was a 6:00 pace.

So I finished in just under 4 hours with a chip time of 3:58:15 456 out of 813 finishers. The folks finishing around 3:30 placed in the top 200 so I watched 250 people pass me in the final 16K ... not fun!

So , what happened? I ran the first 42.2 of Vulture Bait 50K at a 6:00 pace ( I subscribe to a 1 minute difference between road and trail ) . Maybe the Toad 50K , Vulture Bait 50K and then Road to Hope was too much in 4 weeks! The weekend between the Vulture Bait and the Road to Hope I did a 10K park path ( almost trial) in 44:50. I pretty sure that it was all due to tummy trouble. I didn't exactly do my usual day before the race diet. 20 hours before I ran I had lunch at a popular burger place .... the meal that feels like a lump in the stomach after you eat it! At the time I though I may regret my choice!!!!!

In spite of my problems it was an great day to be running. The last 4 K was on a park path beside Lake Ontario. The Sun was shinning , it was 10C and there was so many people out cheering us on. A local school set up a cheering station and there was a live band! The course was amazingly flat with the exception of a long gentle downhill when you drop down the escarpment. If you are looking for a PB or a BQ this is the place. I really look forward to doing this one again next year!

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Re: Road 2 Hope Marathon - Hamilton - Nov 1/09

Postby richie-rich » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:05 am

Sorry to hear about your upset stomach. Too bad it wasn't your day. But way to gut it out and finish under 4. I'm sure you'll smoke the next one - just lay off the grease the day before :naughty:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:15 am

Sorry to hear you had a tough day out there.
Tummy woes are no fun!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:47 am

Great report, sorry to hear you had your troubles. Cause could be anything really. Touch of the flu or maybe the burger. However if the burger was 20 hours earlier, thats a long time to process before having the effect, but you know your body best.

Best of luck next time

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:24 am

Too bad about your troubles, but a good result anyway. Seems like you learned a few things for next time. Well done! :D
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:57 am

Ouch, That's gotta hurt! I was wondering what happened when I saw your time. Those numbers sure show the story, right from 4:30's to 6 minutes, that's pretty dramatic. I've faded before but not like that. You'll get your good day yet.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 am

Great race review - but sorry to hear of your tummy troubles. You still managed to hang in there with a solid performance - Congrats!
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:38 am

Wow! Looks like you got hurt when that wall came up and knocked you in the belly! Hopefully you'll get the 3:30 next time!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 am

Been there and done that, over the last 10-12-14K of a marathon ... :shock: :? :oops: but, still to come in at sub 4hrs, showed a lot of mental strength and fortitude ... congrats, still on completing what you started and leaving it all on the course, literally .. :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 am

Tough day man, sounds like tummy troubles, better stick to the regular diet before races.

I'm impressed by your attitude at every race good or bad!

See you at the Nog!! Remember only once around the block.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Lx2run
Tom Longboat

Postby Lx2run » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Ron

I kept you in my sights (green shell easy to spot) through the race and was worried when I finally caught up to you around 28K when you slowed considerably. Good to see you finished it standing up after a tough ending. See you at That Dam Trail Race
Do all the good you are able to-
Any time you are able
Every way you are able
Every where you are able
For everyone you can...
Until you are able to again
-Haitian Proverb

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Not enough gel.

Why skimp on the high octane fuel?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 am

I have been thinking allot about the race, maybe I just wasn’t up to a 3:30 yet ! I am really beginning to understand the appeal of the Martathon. Its going to be an a rather elusive beast to tame and I suspect that its going to take some time but that’s Ok it just means I have more time to enjoy it!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:36 pm

Good luck next time out Ron. You are right the marathon is a different beast, always remember to taper for the marathon even as you tackle longer and longer trail races, and you'll surely get your 3:30:00 next time out when your stomach is in a better starting state.

DB
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:07 am

Oh wow.... the story starts so well with a great group and killer finish anticipated. eep.
You just never know what can happen on race day.

Good job gutting it out (pardon the pun). :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Return to “Run/Race Reports”