Lisa's spring race thread-OTMH Classic 5K update p6

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
blank
Bill Crothers

Re: Lisa's spring race thread

Postby blank » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 am

Nice racing Lisa! I'm sure you will go sub 21 at the Emilie's 5K.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm

That's a great report and a nice race line-up Lisa!! Looks like you're off to a good season. Those short and fast races are inspiring.
Best of luck for the spring season!!
Ultrarunner again

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Today I did race #2 of the season, the 21K Montreal. I wasn't really sure what to expect for this one- my long runs have been decent but not terribly long, with my longest being 22km, and I haven't done a ton of speedwork- only a hard 20/hard 15 run the Wed after the 5K, and a couple decent tempo runs home from work. My tempo pace has been 4:40-4:45, so I hoped that on a good day, this would be a realistic estimate of my half marathon pace.

This morning I made a few gambles... #1 being my wardrobe choice of a tank top, arm warmers and shorts. It started to pour pretty much as soon as we started running, and it was cold. I was actually OK for the first 16km or so- I was cold but not uncomfortable. The last 5, I was pretty miserable and wished I had worn another layer.

Gamble #2- I started out at my estimated half marathon pace. I figured I would rather start out optimistically and flame out than start out slower. I don't regret this decision, but it didn't pay off either. I felt pretty strong at the start- I was not exactly comfortable, but not uncomfortable either. Lorne blew by at 2K or so and I just knew he was going to be way ahead of his 1:40 goal!! He was on fire and I was so happy to see that. Sanders and I ran for a bit and chatted, which was great. Bruyere caught up to me at 2km or so and we hung together leapfrogging back and forth till 13 or so. Then I started to feel the effects of my lack of mileage/long runs/speedwork, and I started to slow down. I stayed fairly focused and tried to keep pushing, but I just kept fading. I tried thinking about the first 16km as "the first race" and the last 5K as the second race, and tried to call on my pain tolerance from Good Friday to get me through the last 5K. It was different though- my lungs were OK (whereas in the Good Friday 5K I was gasping)- it was my legs that I just couldn't motivate! I'm not sure honestly how much was mental and how much was physical. I was feeling more and more uncomfortable and cold as the race went on. At about 16km we must've switched directions or something, as I really noticed the wind and I felt like I was getting even wetter. I did NOT walk (I walked a couple times in Ottawa when I ran my half PB) so that's good, and I feel like I tried my best, but I'm afraid I could've done better from about 13km (when I lost Heather and Sanders) and the end. I didn't push myself to keep up with Heather when she pressed forward, and unfortunately I have to admit I just didn't believe I had the speed to do it- I resigned myself to the fact that she was faster and thought I would flame out. Perhaps I did have the speed and I wimped out, I don't know, but honestly I have to say I need to work on both my physical strength but also my mental strength.

I finished at 1:43:04, which is 1:02 slower than my pb from last year. This isn't great, but it isn't awful either- I'm not really bummed out, but I'm not super happy either. I know my pb last year came after more long runs, more speed, and a confidence-boosting huge 10K pb, so 1 minute off isn't that bad. I'm running better right now than I was last year, though, so I was really hoping for better. Oh well. I may do the half in Mississauga, or I may just try to really bring it in the Sporting Life, Ottawa and the Boilermaker and save another half for summertime or early fall. We'll see. I know I'm capable of sub 1:40, or at least faster than 1:42- it'll just take a few more weeks of training.

My splits...
1- 4:39
2- 4:41
3- 4:34
4- 4:54
5-6 9:45 (2km)
7- 4:51
8- 4:44
9- 4:55
10- 4:53
11- 4:49
12- 4:43
13- 4:50
14- 4:47
15- 5:05
16- 5:11
17- 4:51
18-19- 10:23 (2km)
20-finish 10:25 (2.1 km)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:11 pm

QuickChick wrote: I didn't push myself to keep up with Heather when she pressed forward, and unfortunately I have to admit I just didn't believe I had the speed to do it- I resigned myself to the fact that she was faster and thought I would flame out. Perhaps I did have the speed and I wimped out, I don't know, but honestly I have to say I need to work on both my physical strength but also my mental strength.

I think this is really important, and you can take it as a learning experience. You still did great (especially considering the conditions!). :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Solid effort Lisa, your PB in Mississauga or Ottawa will be sweet.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 pm

Missed you out there this morning :(
Nevertheless, nice bit of running for someone who is a winter hatah!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:54 pm

Lisa, these were not the best conditions for you, kind of your Kryptonite. It was getting very wet and cool at the end of the race and you were not dress optimally for it. But, it was easy for me to pick you out of the crowd! :wink:

Nice to see you and say hi, even if it was just briefly.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:01 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
QuickChick wrote: I didn't push myself to keep up with Heather when she pressed forward, and unfortunately I have to admit I just didn't believe I had the speed to do it- I resigned myself to the fact that she was faster and thought I would flame out. Perhaps I did have the speed and I wimped out, I don't know, but honestly I have to say I need to work on both my physical strength but also my mental strength.

I think this is really important, and you can take it as a learning experience. You still did great (especially considering the conditions!). :)

I can really relate to your comments here. I want to PB in a Half this year...but I know I have to work on both my physical AND mental strength.

Your reports always inspire me...you're brutally honest...with yourself...and with us. I admire that.

So looking forward to seeing you at NCM :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Definitely not the best conditions for someone to wear their "Kara" outfit :wink:
The 11 km you need to tack on your tempo home from work is purely mental.
I admit to being a bit puzzled by your lack of speedwork comment. I count about 12 tempo runs or workouts in your log before this race. Last year you had exactly zero indicator workouts before Sporting Life and just one before Ottawa.
I'm afraid the step between here and 1:35 is entirely in your head.
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Pat Menzies wrote: I'm afraid the step between here and 1:35 is entirely in your head.

I have to admit...I agree with Pat.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Your description of the weather gave me the shivers. I am not a good wet weather runner so I totally admire that you went out and still had a really quick race even when you were cold. I think it goes to show that you have it in you though for a super fast race this year.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:29 pm

I agree with Jo-Jo about your honesty in your reports. Work on the mental and you'll do it. Great race considering the conditions, ( I hate rain :evil: ).
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:30 pm

Pat Menzies wrote:Definitely not the best conditions for someone to wear their "Kara" outfit :wink:
The 11 km you need to tack on your tempo home from work is purely mental.
I admit to being a bit puzzled by your lack of speedwork comment. I count about 12 tempo runs or workouts in your log before this race. Last year you had exactly zero indicator workouts before Sporting Life and just one before Ottawa.
I'm afraid the step between here and 1:35 is entirely in your head.

He knows you... I trust him.
You are awesome, no matter what.
I'm glad I got to see you this weekend... and will see you again in a few more weeks.
Way to tick off another great race.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: the lack of speedwork, I mean in the last 2-3 weeks. I feel like I get faster quickly from speedwork, and I feel like I slow down quickly when I don't do it for a couple weeks, too. :) I guess the 5K counts, though... :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Good run QC, but yeah sub 1:40 all day long.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Tred Miller
Bruce Kidd

Postby Tred Miller » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Great effort considering the conditions. My fingers became numb during the last 5km. Nice to see you and Dave before the race.
Live to Run; Run to Live.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 am

Good run in yucky conditions. You get your mental on, you'll kick some half marathon ass.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 am

As I said to you yesterday I love your attitude and how you put it all out there. You don't sandbag or downplay your abilities or your goals. Go big or go home, right?

Oh, and I was cold just looking at you!!! :o

Well done!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 am

Lisa,

Sigh... I dream of a 1:43 half! You are speedy - regardless of not getting the PB. Conditions don't sound like they were optimal for it anyway!

I think the attitude is great! Congrats!

I'll be hammering the SL10K as well - and the Mississauga half.

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:10 am

That's a solid early season race...I bet you'll have great success as the season unfolds!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:28 am

Racing in those conditions is definitely hoodie worthy. Congrats on being so close to that PB so early in the year!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:58 am

A very solid effort in miserable conditions. And you're right about the wind picking up near the end. I too felt colder and less motivated. I think you just like it hotter, Lisa. And when you're having fun, you run better. I'm sure there are lots of great races coming up ahead soon! Summer is a comin'! :D

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:52 pm

Get the mental sorted out and I strongly believe the physical will follow.

Go back through the race and figure out the positives and negatives to take your forward on the next one - regardless - congrats girl. You're amazing in my books - esp when I see your paces!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Congrats on both of the race reports. great time in the 5k and the half marathon. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Lisa's spring race thread- Sporting Life Update p2

Postby QuickChick » Mon May 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Sporting Life 10K RACE REPORT...

Last year this was such a breakthrough race for me. I ran faster than I ever thought I could (42:43), and it really kicked me into a new gear training-wise. However, all year I had this nagging feeling that it had been a fluke... silly I know, but all my other race times have not lived up to that one. What was different about that race... perfect weather? NO expectations or pressure? Who knows. It felt incredible the whole time- I gutted it out for maybe a km, but it just felt great to be running so fast. This time... not so much!!

We got to the race area at about 7:20, and easily took care of all the necessary pre-race business. I found myself with a solid half hour to warm up, and not feeling at all stressed. I ended up warming up about 15 minutes with some strides.

The race felt hard right from the gun. The first 4K were pretty good- 4:11, 4:05, 4:20, 4:18. Then it started to feel incredibly hard. I was red-lining the whole time, and getting slower. My 5K split was 4:40 for 21:37. Then... 4:31, 4:32, 4:43. Ouch. I was able to pick it up just a bit in the last 2K, which I'm glad about anyway- 4:39 and 4:23 were my last two splits. In the last km a guy next to me answered his cellphone, which threw me into a bit of a rage and made me run faster for part of that km. I did not look at my watch at all and I'm glad, as I was really disappointed with my final time of 44:24. I felt like puking at the end and so because of that and because I was disappointed, I had a bit of a sucky teary-eyed walk of shame through the chute. Then I saw a shirtless angel who told me very earnestly that he had heard the course was 800m long. :lol: That's all I needed- I laughed and pretty much immediately felt better. Pretty much all our group was a minute or two off what they were hoping for as well... I'm not glad about that, but perhaps something was tough about the day that affected all of us. It wasn't really hot, about 20, but it was sticky and muggy. I'm not sure it really slowed me down all that much as I wasn't particularly overheated- I dumped some water on myself and drank some at both stations, though, where last year I didn't even consider taking any.

Now I have to figure out what to do next. Where did that 1:41 (NOT 2:19 as I originally thought) go? I'm about the same weight I was last year, but I'm going to be more careful till NCM and see if I can drop a couple pounds. This year I feel like I've been running better than I was before last year's SL race. I've definitely been doing more fast running. I have much less endurance base than I did last year, which I mentioned in my 21KMtl report. However, I certainly have enough base that I should be able to run a strong 10K. Overall I feel like I'm fitter this year than I was last year at this time, but my race results aren't showing that at all. I don't feel like I've been that wimpy- I've really suffered in my races and mostly pushed through it, so other than a few km in Montreal I don't feel like I've been a suck- I've run really hard. Some progression runs would be a good thing, as I've been fading really badly so far this year. Some more speed work, also. I had a great workout last week (6 x 1500) but before that my last V02 max workout had been St. Patricks Day. I've been doing OK for tempo runs, and I guess those will help too.

I may... MAY do the Mississauga half on May 16. It'll depend on whether I feel like I'm running well in the next couple of weeks, and whether I can improve my time from Montreal. I'll keep you posted. I'm totally on the fence. Any ideas/opinions about whether you think this is a good idea or a bad idea are welcome.

Ottawa could be hot, and it's not QUITE as easy a course, so I think my goal for Ottawa will be to better my SL time from THIS year. Or just run like hell. Maybe that's a better goal. :twisted:

Big shout-out to Pat Menzies for being a great pacer. As always he quietly just stayed a bit ahead, and said something nice every few minutes. He thought we were going to be doing 4:12/km, but was very nice when we discovered that wasn't going to happen. :)
Last edited by QuickChick on Tue May 04, 2010 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”