RayMan's Boston Report

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
RayMan
Jerome Drayton

RayMan's Boston Report

Postby RayMan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:20 am

Short version

Got a drive to Hopkinton State Park, where I took a shuttle bus to Hopkinton. Waited in the sun for 90 minutes, moved to corral number 9. Took almost 7 minutes to cross the start line! Started off with a pace of 4:45 per km (which would give me a 3:20 marathon) – stopped once to pee, several times for photos, once to hug everyone in my family, and I also walked each time I took in water or gatorade. With one mile to go my time was around 3:21 so I knew I could BQ (with a time of 3:30). I had run into Strider/Wingfoot/David several times during the race – it was great to see him at the finish too – he BQ’d again as well!

This was my 4th marathon, and first Boston experience – I have nothing but praise and awe for the whole Boston Marathon weekend. It is well worth the effort, the time and the money to get there once in your life to run it.

=======
Long Version

Leading up to the Race

I flew down from Toronto on an early flight Saturday morning – only to find Michal (the Joggler) sitting in the airport as well. He did a great job at answering my millions of questions about Boston and the Marathon (yes it deserves capital letters). There were many runners on this flight, several wearing those coveted Marathon jackets...so close to having my own jacket and the tale to go along with it! On arrival we all hopped onto the T (the Boston public transit system) and together managed to find our respective destinations. I was headed for the Race Expo – I wanted to get in, buy my gear and get out. It is massive, with so many vendors and freebies and colourful Adidas gear that it is hard to navigate. I just walked around with a goofy smile on my face, still simply happy to be there.

I watched a movie of the entire course that included voice-overs of advice from past runners, both champions and regular men and women. Everyone applauded when the movie was over! Such a positive buzz in town!

I stayed in a town called North Reading, about 20 minutes outside of Boston. My hosts are distant cousins whom I had never met before, although my sister is great friends with them, so I knew I would be welcome. My sister drove down from New Brunswick with her husband, along with my mother and father. My mother has Alzheimer’s so this marathon might possibly be the last one she remembers clearly. My father is legally blind and getting worse...plus he has been battling cancer for 5 years...so there was a lot of emotion tied up in this weekend.

I ate well all weekend, got lots of sleep (although I often dreamt about running or about being late for the race), and carb loaded on Sunday. Got up at 6:00 a.m. on race day, ate my usual pre-race meal (yogurt, bagel with peanut butter, two granola bars, two bananas, and coffee!) then hopped in my brother-in-law’s car for the one-hour drive to the State Park drop off.

The sun was out, and although the wind was cool, it was definitely sunburn weather. I met a Boston veteran who kindly shared his SPF 30 sunblock with me – love the camaraderie!

The Race

Moved out to the corrals around 9:45 a.m. it was controlled chaos – 14,000 people trying to find their assigned spots before the race started. Thanks to volunteers, clear signage, and general goodwill, everyone seemed to find their spots in time for the Star Spangled Banner, and then somewhere, eight corrals ahead of me, the race started. It took us almost 7 minutes to cross the start line, whereupon the thousands of runners pinned in around my all started to shuffle along as the space opened up until we finally hit our race pace.

My plan was to run 4:45 per km (which would give me a 3:20 marathon) but to stop and smell the roses whenever I felt like it – this was my first Boston Marathon and I wanted to bask in the awesome feeling of just being there! There were water stations every mile, and it was my plan to stop and take in water or gatorade each station. I cannot run and drink at the same time, so I also took a short 15-30 second walk break each time.

First 5 kms were 24:28, which was pretty good since it included a short stop in the trees for a bio break.
Somewhere in my 9th km I stopped to get a photo with the local police, which ate a bit of time but was really fun and positive. They asked me “Why do you want a photo with us?” and I replied “Look officers, I am running a race here, I don’t have time to explain!”. At 10 kms my time was 49:00, a little slow but I had heard that holding back a bit for the first (downhill) portion of Boston is a good strategy.

I should mention that I was wearing my name on the front and back of my shirt, and the Boston crowds are so supportive and love to know your name. From start to finish I heard “Run Ray run!” “Ray you are my hero!” “You can do it Ray!”. It really helped me smile through the hard parts and kept a wamr glow in my heart the whole way.

The next 5 kms were a little faster, as my legs warmed up and there was finally room to stretch out my pace a bit. I ran two kms in the 4:29 range, and had to force myself to slow down again. Hit the 15 km mark at 1:12, and 20 km at 1:37. By this point we have been running downhill most of the time, and when I walk to drink water I can feel some twitching in my quads. I also notice that burning sensation on my toe that tells me I am going to lose another toenail. Nothing new here so I know that I am still doing fine!

Wellesley College and the Tunnel of Sound appear around the halfway mark – it was awesome! These women were so noisy it actually hurt to be running past them. Of course I had to stop for a photo, so I found a space where three women were cheering us on and asked them to give me a kiss and take a photo. I told them I was a school teacher, so the kiss had to be on my cheek. It took a minute (or two) to get everyone organized but the picture is priceless. My students loved seeing that photo!

After that fantastic burst of adrenalin, there is a long steep downhill – I can see on the faces of the runners around me that we have all had enough of the negative slopes – the constant breaking action makes the legs tight and the knees wobbly. But we are halfway done now!

The next 10 kms are the hard ones, where the Newton Hills begin and where Heartbreak Hill looms. Fortunately it was about this time that I heard a voice say “Nice hat! I have the socks that go with it”. I look left (and down a little hah hah!) and see Strider (David), a fellow maniac, running along with a big grin and looking fresh and full of energy. We didn’t exactly run together (I don’t think he stopped for water breaks) but I did run ahead of him to take a photo! He would power by me on the hills and then I would catch up to him on the downhills and the flats (hey tall runners need to have some advantage!).

Heartbreak Hill wasn’t as steep as I had feared but it was very long indeed. Honestly, I just felt excited to be running up it – another part of the Boston legend was now part of my running life! Once you reach the top – woo hoo! – people are cheering and they have special signs that say “You made it up Heartbreak Hill”. The know the mythological power of that one hill and are there for everyone to share in the victory – moments like these make Boston spectacular!

I held to the same pace more or less through all of this – my Garmin shows two kms at 5:10 at 27 and 28 kms and then a 5:27 at 32 kms – I suspect that matches the hills and Heartbreak, but haven’t checked it out yet. Nevertheless, at 35 kms I was at 2:52:35; at this time I started to get excited because I was certain to finish my first Boston Marathon upright and smiling.

The next few kms I had to slow down a bit because I was looking for my family in the crowd – it gave me a chance to forget about the pain in my legs and take in all the supporters around us. In some places they were 4 or 5 rows deep; they encouraged those runners in pain, who were trying to walk it in to the finish. The crowd was still handing out oranges, kleenex, and their own little cups of water. The signs were inspirational and the smiles were contagious.

And then I saw my family! I ran over to their location (for some reason there was no fence separating us) and hugged everyone of them. They didn’t seem to mind the sweat – and I was so excited (and perhaps fatigued from the previous 38 kms) that I forgot to take a photo! Anyway I was glad I had on the sunglasses because my eyes were filled with tears as my parents and siblings were there to share the big day with me.

I was almost to the finish line, and who do I see but David again – he is still grinning and still keeping up with me. There is the sign “One Mile to Go” and I decide I need a photo of that, so I run up to it and stop. The crowd is yelling at me “Don’t give up Ray!” and I smile and say “I just want a photo! Smile gang!”. I can see from the clock under the sign that I have about 8 minutes to finish this last mile, if I want to qualify for Boston again.

That final mile was fantastic – the pain and the fatigue are still there but as you come around the corner and see the finish line 600 yards away – the crowd is yelling, the runners around you are giving it their all to finish in style. I was talking to myself “You are going to be a Boston finisher! Smile!” and I smiled (grimaced?) the whole way in, finishing at 3:30:08 (52 seconds under the time I needed to hit). And there is David, again; I pound him on the shoulder and thank him for being there. We walk through the finish area, stocking up on food and drink, and David makes sure we get a photo or two together, because he knows how special this day will always be.

Thanks to all the maniacs who supported me through my training, with advice, encouragement, and simply by leading by example.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Re: RayMan's Boston Report

Postby Doonst » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:05 am

That's a wonderful story Ray. What a great experience, that's the way to do it! Solid running, time to enjoy it. How about that Strider, eh, he was there for me 2 years ago too.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:33 am

Outstanding report Ray!! This, combined with your photo report, ranks up there with one of my favorite reports I've read since I've joined RM. And seriously...what are the odds of running into another maniac! :D So awesome as well that your family was not only there for you, but that you got a brief moment with them during the race.

Congratulations!!!
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Congratulations! I loved the picture report also.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Ditto everything said above. Your report made my eyes well up. So happy for you, you worked hard for this event and it's gotta be amazingly gratifying to have it go off so perfectly.
8)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:40 pm

RayMan wrote:.... and simply by leading by example.

Wonderful report to go along with your photo diary. You sir are leading by example and if I am ever able to run that race I will be reading this report many times over! Awesome.

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Doonst wrote:That's a wonderful story Ray. What a great experience, that's the way to do it! Solid running, time to enjoy it. How about that Strider, eh, he was there for me 2 years ago too.

He is the MAN!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Lovely report, Ray! I am glad you really enjoyed it! How nice that your family were there too!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Totally awesome Ray. Loved everything about your report, I felt like I was there with you. More importantly, congrats on all the training, racing and effort you put in to get you to this moment, you are an inspiration.

Did you buy THE jacket?!

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:19 pm

Wonderful report Ray, sounds like your first Boston experience is one you'll always treasure. Congrats :D
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Great report Ray. I really enjoying reading it. quite descriptive. well done on the BQ. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Ray,

Big congrats. Sounds like such a special day that will not get forgotten anytime soon!

Love the report!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:05 pm

You put so much heart and so much enthusiasm into this race, and race report, I'm sure the good vibes will stay with you forever.

Boston marathon supporters are pros! Even the kids are stars. They make each runner feel like a hero. I can still recall who I ran with, the musicians, the faces, and the crowd like you said 5 deep in some places.

It almost makes me want to train really really really hard, just to be able to do it again! :D (Uh, oh...)

Congratulations, RAy, on running with so much spirit and giving it your all - with photos! I don't think I would ever do that, it takes too much energy, so I imagine you actually could have finished in 3:20, but what the hey, you got your BQ!!

I guess this means you'll be back. :P

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your photos and your report with us. Something I really appreciate in following your journey has been how your students and family were always such a big part of this. That is just so very cool. And your report also brought tears to my eyes; from beginning to end, training to race day seemed like such a wonderful journey and time of celebration. All the best in your coming races.

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Very exciting!! Congratulations!! :D
Louise

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:46 pm

Great report Ray, So special that your family could be there. Congratulations on the BQ at Boston.
I enjoyed following your log and the count down in the title. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Yes...you did not disappoint with your report and enthusiasm. You deserve this Ray.
See you in Ottawa.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 am

Great report...I can feel the excitement, joy and awe in it :D :D
I'm so glad your parents were there to witness this proud moment.

BTW...love the expression..."bio break"...very civilized :wink:

See you in Ottawa. :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

militarybrat
Johnny Miles

Postby militarybrat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 am

Congratulations Ray!

My DH and I drove the course on Sunday and your race report brought it all back for me, it's so well written.

What an accomplishment, way to go!
2010 Goals:
stay injury free...
Toronto Goodlife Marathon

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 am

Thank you for letting me share the road with you on your Special Day. It was one of the biggest highlights of this years race. I am so happy Boston didn't disappoint (not that it ever would) and hope that someday we will be back together and can hammer the course.

Wear the jacket with pride, well earned.

Cheers

David
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:13 am

Congratulations!!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:07 am

Great report Ray. It lets the rest of us feel that we could have been there. Congratulations on another great race! :D

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:27 am

Very nice report, Ray. It sounds like you did everything right. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:22 pm

Awesome report, Ray! Thanks so much for sharing.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Love the report Ray. Especially the family stuff...makes it very special. Congrats on an amazing Boston experience! :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Return to “Run/Race Reports”