Digirat's HM on 10 days of 'training is overrated'

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
digirat
Johnny Miles

Postby digirat » Sun May 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Background:
I haven't ran for 3 months, and I decided to run a HM on 10 days notice. I ran my first 10k on Wednesday in 58mins, was hurting really bad afterwards, could barely walk the next day. Sunday I did 16k in 1h36 with Jwolf. Couldn't walk the rest of the day, felt perfect on monday. Took two days off to rest anyways, ran 8k on wednesday in 45mins. That's all the training I did for this HM. Three runs, totalling 34k.

Race day:

5:20am: Alarm clock goes off. I text jen "So why the hell am I doing this?". Debated on shutting off the alarm and sleeping the rest of the day, but I've trained "so hard", that I HAD TO run this.
6am: Arrive at skytrain station. Hoping to get to the race area by 6:30.
6:45: Skytrain arrives at the race area... And i still need to check my bag in and pee.
6:55: While I'm waiting in line to check my bag in, the 5min warning comes on the PA. I'm gonna have to pass on the pee.

The race:
7am: I'm way back in the starting lineup. Countdown! 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... NOTHING. I'm stuck in the crowd still ~400m away from the start line standing still. I turn to the person next to me: "I like this pace. I could do this all day!". The response I got was even better than my smartass remark: "It might take a while to finish if you keep this up". But we're stuck, so we just wait it out.
~7:10: Finally cross the start line. My biggest problem on my three training runs was that I always started too fast and ran out of energy at the end. This wasn't going to be an issue since it was physically impossible to run any faster. But everyone's so slow... so I did my best at passing people, while keeping a civil pace.
2k: first porta pottys. there's a lineup of about 20 people. I'm not wasting at least 10 mins waiting. It will have to wait.
4k: first marker I noticed. Jen told me afterwards that they had one at every kilometer. Apparently I couldn't see them thanks to the huge crowd of people. Still needed to pee. Thought about just stopping and peeing on a building.
5k: I pass a sign: "Let the kenyan out in you". Surely they don't mean my ****... I contemplate the sign.
7k: hydration station. I'm taking the advice and "pissing" on the water. I really need to pee, and that's the advice I was given. well, i think he meant "pass on the water"... so i take gatorade for the first time in my life. Wow, this is NASTY. Crunch, crunch go the cups littered across the entire road.
7.2k: wow, this is pretty uneventfu.... oooh, bouncy bounce bounce.... guess she forgot her sports bra.... bounce bounce bounce... wow, i could stare at these all day... she's running slightly faster than me... but bouncy bounce bounce... WOW! i debate on running faster and keeping that as my motivation for the rest of the race. Decide against it as I still don't know if i can actually run the full 21k.
9.1k: Stanley park bathrooms. As in, full bathrooms. Surely there can't be a lineup for the men! I run up, notice the lineup outside, "eff this" and I keep on running.
9.3k: I stop and pee in some bushes "WOW! That's so not fair! Men have it so easy!" "well, you can go pee in the bushes too!" is my response. Some women were running into the bushes... I'm assuming they were going to pee... or make out... my mind wanders off... and then I realize "bouncy bounce bounce!" That's the girl from back in 7.2k! I suppose she stopped to take a drink at the last water station. We run together for a bit, I can't focus. And she's still running faster than me.
Halfway: It's all downhill from now. Well, except for this huge hill that's coming up.
11k: An older woman around me is worried about the hill. I make a pact with her that I won't give up if she doesn't.
12-13.5k: The dreaded hill. We run the hill together. Weird, I remember it being longer and steeper. Actually, that was really easy. Water station at the top. I pass bouncy girl again, i yell at her to keep on running. I take off on my older woman as I pick up the pace at the top of the hill.
14k: Still downhill. I remember I burned out due to running too fast down the hill on my 16k with jen so i slow down ever so slightly. Bouncy girl passes me. I never see them again. :( My older woman catches up to me "HAH! And you thought you ran away from me!". She gives me pointers to run with smaller steps and lean forward. Why couldn't she be there at the start line? I continue running with her.
16k: I've officially crossed into uncharted territories. Still feel great and still running with the older woman. I start thinking that more girls need to run in lulu's. The one in front of me has a really nice ass.
18k: Great sign: "Your legs hurt cuz you're kicking ass!" Well, they still don't. Weird. I consider picking up the pace, but 3k is still too far.
19k: I say bye to my older woman as I pick up the pace considerably.
20k: Some guy holds vaseline... wait, NOW???
20.7k: I see the finish line. My eyes tear up. I get emotional. There is LOTS of people screaming. INSANE ADRENALINE RUSH. I SPRINT TO THE END.
21.1k: WOW! THAT WAS FUN! I'm completely soaked as it was raining the whole time. I get my medal. Gun time: 2:15:23. Chip time? 2:09:26. I HIT MY GOAL!!!

Afterwards: I pick up my bag, call my parents. I passed them as I was sprinting across the finish line. Apparently my mom screamed my name. I turned around and looked at her instinctively. I don't remember this. The adrenaline rush was insane. They're on their way home already. At least they came out to see me :) I call jen. We meet up for coffee shortly after. I stop by the liquor store on my way home. Have my beer the instant i get home. Like that one sign said "run a marathon - eat anything"

Afterthoughts: I definitely need to do this again. Perhaps with a bit more training. Oh, and nip tape might be a good idea... as well as some body glide, but it's not bad enough that I'm actually regretting it.

FAQ:
So what's next?
-10k race next weekend. Then I need to drop my HM time by at least 20 mins.
Would I run the HM on 10 days training again?
-If I didn't care about my time? In a heartbeat! This was physically the most challenging 10 days of my life. And oh my god was it ever worth it.
Did you win the bet and the money?
-Although aimee was the one that initially got me thinking about running the HM on 10 days notice, there was no bet. And she didn't show up at the finish line like she told me she would. It was all me. I just wanted some sort of support from you guys and "i'm crazy enough to run a HM on no notice" usually isn't a good enough reason for most people to take me seriously. Runnersworld didn't.

Final thoughts: Thankyou god (aka, myself for believing in yourself), thankyou the very few guys on Runnersworld for helping me ditch my incredibly stupid initial training plan, and HUGE THANKS to everyone on runningmania who believed in me, and offered immense support. And of course, last but not least, thanks jen for everything you've done for me. I wouldn't be able to do this without your help. And yes, it's "only 21.1k. No big deal :)"

EDIT: official chip time: 2:09:26
Last edited by digirat on Mon May 03, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMO HM: 2:09:26 on 10 days of training (Race report)
10k pb: 49:38
ps. i like beer. a LOT

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Digirat's HM on 10 days of 'training is overrated'

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Great report, Fil! Very entertaining-- you remembered a lot. :) Your time can only get better from here, but in some ways you'll always remember this one as the most fun.

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I didn't realize your parents were at the finish line-- that's pretty cool.

Oh, and I didn't really do much, but you're welcome, anyway. :)

Congratulations.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Sun May 02, 2010 4:31 pm

:lol: great report!

i'm glad you had a good experience! :D

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Sun May 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Great report, great run! Congrats!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Sun May 02, 2010 4:33 pm

you are so hooked now! congrats!
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun May 02, 2010 4:35 pm

digirat wrote:7.2k: wow, this is pretty uneventfu.... oooh, bouncy bounce bounce.... guess she forgot her sports bra.... bounce bounce bounce... wow, i could stare at these all day... she's running slightly faster than me... but bouncy bounce bounce... WOW! i debate on running faster and keeping that as my motivation for the rest of the race. Decide against it as I still don't know if i can actually run the full 21k.

You seem to have forgotten to thank one special person... whomever she may be ... God Bless Her Soul!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun May 02, 2010 4:41 pm

You sound like you would make a great maaniac. We have some pretty crazy people here and you might have fun. Congrats on today!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sun May 02, 2010 4:52 pm

heh..heh, one of my earlier 10k PB times was chasing a "bunny", it was in the late..late Fall. In the East, that means lot's of clothes :wink:

Good on you. Maybe you'll take to this running thing. I can tell you one thing, I wish I could go back in time and start running and training in my 20's (I started past 35).

On the bet thing, it was actually dumber then just saying that you wanted to do a half with no training. We already have someone on the board that does it regularly.
Last edited by mcshame on Sun May 02, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sun May 02, 2010 5:40 pm

great report. enjoyed reading it. well done finishing. and i agree with you WRT nip tape and lulu's :lol:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sun May 02, 2010 5:49 pm

Good one!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun May 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Congrats on an awesome report...and a great race.
Loved how you were motivated by your Bouncy Bunny...you owe her :D :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Sun May 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Way to go man! Congrats on your first half. Great report too. :lol:
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun May 02, 2010 7:56 pm

I should add that I think digirat gave me too much credit for helping him in this. All I did was keep him company on his 16K training run (and took us the wrong way!), and gave him some encouragement and race advice. He has some natural ability and he paced this one really well today.

Of course that doesn't mean training is over-rated-- just that he'll blow my times away when he actually decides to train. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Sun May 02, 2010 8:18 pm

And so it begins... :lol:
Congrats on a great first race! I hereby declare you hooked. You will go on to run more races. :D
Ultrarunner again

digirat
Johnny Miles

Postby digirat » Sun May 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Jwolf wrote:Of course that doesn't mean training is over-rated

uhh, yes it does. i proved that today. All you need is 10 days. :)
ps. i still can't access the website and check how i did in comparison to others... but YAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!
ps. i like beer. a LOT

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun May 02, 2010 8:48 pm

Awesome! Congratulations! :D
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sun May 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Reading your race report...with all your distractions/motivations made me think I was reading something Scotty wrote. :lol:

Bouncy, bounce, bounce.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sun May 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Congrats on pulling it off!! And on having fun doing it. Hope you can walk tomorrow.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 pm

digirat wrote:
Jwolf wrote:Of course that doesn't mean training is over-rated

uhh, yes it does. i proved that today. All you need is 10 days. :)
ps. i still can't access the website and check how i did in comparison to others... but YAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

2:09 is what you did on "no-training" ;)

imagine what you could do with some training! ;)

congrats, by the way! No need to lie to us anymore though! ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

digirat
Johnny Miles

Postby digirat » Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Irongirl wrote:congrats, by the way! No need to lie to us anymore though! ;)

great. now you can help me with my 10k race next weekend.
Seriously though, I HAD A BLAST! This was the most fun i've *EVER* had. I've had the biggest smile on my face all day. Thank you all :)
ps. i like beer. a LOT

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm

told you you could do it!
Just call me the thread killa

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sun May 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Your 10 days of training had you crossing the finish line 25 seconds behind me and my four months of training!!! Nice work, and great report!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon May 03, 2010 7:14 am

I laughed a lot reading your report....loved the bouncing! :lol: Oh, you know how to pi$$ a guy off don't you? 10 days of training? :shock:

Congrats on a great race!
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 03, 2010 8:03 am

Great report, congrats!

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 am

Sorry but I think you missed the point that a large part of running a marathon or half marathon is training for it, not seeing how little you can do beforehand and get away with it. I like to congratulate people for their effort. I am more impressed by my kids when they work hard and put in honest effort than when they fluke through something. Same goes here. Funny report, though. You obviously put a lot of work into it.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Return to “Run/Race Reports”