2011 Canada Day 5K Burlington

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
5km
Bill Crothers

2011 Canada Day 5K Burlington

Postby 5km » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:44 pm

The results have finally been posted on the web, so I can now make my belated report for the Roseland Law Chambers Canada Day 5K in Burlington.

Canada Day was beautiful, sunny, no wind, low humidity and temperature in the low to mid twenties. It was the largest field to date for this, the 8th edition of this race, with 279 participants. I had hoped to run a sub-23 minute race but it was not to be. I was tired from the week and had slept poorly the night before the race. I knew before the start that achieving my goal time was unlikely. The Chi was weak.

The first kilometre was fast but tough at 4:24 and the 2.5 k turn came at 11:19. The effort level felt a lot harder than during my run at the Moon in June race. From there on, it got pretty grim.

Just before the turn around, my heart monitor strap started slipping down. In trying to re-position it, I only succeeded in unhooking it. I had to carry it the rest of the way and had no HR data.

Anyway, I tried to maintain my pace but I could feel it slipping a bit. It felt like I was working hard and without a HR reading, I didn’t know how hard I was actually pushing it. I made it back to the boardwalk and the home stretch. The boardwalk is over a half kilometre long and you can see the finish line the whole way. It’s cruel. I didn’t have much energy left and I didn’t want to risk blowing up too soon, so I just held my pace as well as I could. With a very small acceleration, felt more than realized, I crossed the line. I had missed seeing the race clock but stopped my watch at 23:08.

The results were not posted at the presentation area so I had to wait for the announcement. I won my AG, M65-69, in a gun time of 23:06.2 and a chip time of 23:01.3 and placed 80th of 279. I had missed my goal time but it was all I could do that day. The AG win was a definite bonus.

Thanks for reading.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Re: 2011 Canada Day 5K Burlington

Postby Doonst » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:01 pm

That's fine running, congrats!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Great results! Congratulations!

LeonKomposky
Johnny Miles

Postby LeonKomposky » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:28 pm

An age group win! well done.
"There are several good protections against temptations, but the surest is cowardice.
" - Mark Twain.

2011:
Jan 16 - Richmond Road Races 5 km - DNF
May 29 - National Capital Marathon – First One!
July 2 - Perth Kilt Run 5 Mile - done!
July 3 – Spartan Race 5 km - done & dirty!
September 18 - Army Run 5K/Half?
October 22 – 9runrun Half Marathon
And a 10K sometime

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:28 am

Congrats on the AG win!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”