Jono's NYC marathon (updated with a pic)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Jono's NYC marathon (updated with a pic)

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 am

Incredible experience... I don't know how I could ever top that at a marathon, it was just so overwhelmingly awesome! The crowds lining every street cheering (roaring!), the immense and awesome city of New York, amazing. Worth the 4 year wait!

The downside - my time was way off expectations due to an issue with my knee. Really disappointing, I trained and trained and my pacing seemed to be going so well.

Things I Learned That Might Be Useful To Others

- The assigned ferry time was really more of a suggestion... you could take any one you want. Guess I didn't have to wake up at 5am!
- The ferry terminals are far more comfortable that sitting on the ground at the start, so I crossed over and hung out in the Statten Island terminal. Don't cut it too close, though - there's still a pretty lengthy bus ride to the site.
- They stick the wave 1 folks in their corrals waaaay before 9:40... I almost missed the announcement because it seemed too early, around 9:00.
- Use the washrooms in the corrals early, because they move everyone up to the start line when you least expect it
- I was on the lower deck of the first bridge, and my Garmin 305 went all whacky right from the start... and one other time too, also on a bridge. Use manual laps and a pace band, I'm glad I did!
- I don't know if this is a rumour or real... but other folks were saying not to go too close to the edge of the bridge if you're on the lower deck, as the runners on the upper deck pee off the side!!! I didn't notice it, but didn't risk the edges either, so... who knows! Better safe than sorry!

My Race

I was in wave 1, somewhere in the middle of the pack. I took it pretty easy in the first mile as it's a fairly steep incline.

Other than the fact we were running in Brooklyn, there wasn't much to my early race - everything went as planned. I ate my gels, drank the occasional Gatorade, and held a very easy-feeling pace (about 5:10/km). Things were looking good.

One funny moment - a group of Hasidic Jews ran across the road in front of me. Quite the contrast, us in our little shorts and tight lycra, them with their traditional hats and hair things.

I got jostled now and then by other runners, seemed hard to avoid in the crowds. It wasn't a huge problem mostly, I always seemed to be able to go my pace and find room when I needed it.

Then we hit the climb on the Queensboro bridge, and my first twinge hit... hamstring started to feel sore and tight, followed by knee pain. Not good! This wasn't an unfamiliar pain to me, it was much like the ITBS I suffered with a few years ago, and every so often I've had some soreness... but why now?

It switched to downhill and the pain seemed to subside somewhat, I figured I could probably run through it.

When we emerged from the bridge, it was too the thunderous roar of a huge crowd! It gave me goosebumps... several times actually! The entire way up First Ave was just amazing, so many people cheering. I started to feel a bit of fatigue, and the knee pain was just there - didn't get worse.

... until we hit the next climb on the bridge over to the Bronx. The pain got really bad. I managed to keep my pace a bit longer just hoping it would go away, but then it started really impacting my gait and I just couldn't hold it. I tried to back off to a 5:30/km, but even that became impossible. From there on it was a death-limp-march to the end, and it was miserable... I scanned the crowds for my family, not wanting to embarrass myself by walking up to them was the only thing that kept me going! My pace was awful.

I finally saw them at 25.5 miles - it was awesome! I ran over and kissed my wife and girls, since my time was way over anyway it no longer mattered. Lurched to the end in 3:55.

3:55! I was thinking 3:35, 3:40 at worst, so this really sucked. Nothing I could do about it, it's done and unlike shorter races that's it for the year.

After the finish line they make you walk another 4-5 blocks for some inexplicable reason... seemed to mostly have to do with bag check, but having not checked a bag this was a real irritation.

Got home, went to check my time - didn't get picked up at all! Not a single time split the entire race. Hopefully they have the info and it was a glitch, although really it doesn't matter that much... it was bad.

Marathons and Me

Even before this race, I had it in my head this would be my last one for awhile. Next year I'd like to spend my fall with other things, probably more adventure racing and trail running. The marathon is a big investment of time, and when it doesn't go right it's pretty tough to take. Still, this experience will stick with me a long time, it was amazing... the lure of the marathon will get me back someday I'm sure.
Last edited by jonovision_man on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Re: Jono's NYC marathon

Postby fingerboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 am

Liked the RR! Thanks for the tips for the future. I've definitely heard about the peeing off the side. Pretty common I think.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:41 am

Great race report, Jono ... congrats on completing the marathon in the Big Apple ... and, yes, great hints and tips for next year, when I will likely get to experience my own adventure ... a tough day at the office, for a number of people yesterday, in their respective races, but so many awesome performances and memories that were achieved, as well, by many ... Recover well ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:42 am

Glad you made the most of it.
Congrats!

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:25 am

It's good to hear you were able to take some positives out of a tough day. A bad day can take a lot out of you after all the training leading up to the marathon.

Hope you recover quickly from the knee pain.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:28 am

nice report!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 am

Sounds like a mixed bag (like most marathons) - you didn't get what you wanted in New York. Not getting what you want = bad...but you ran the freaking New York City Marathon! :lol:

Thanks for the great report, Jono!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 am

Congrats on the NYC Marathon! I'm glad you had a great experience overall but sorry the race didn't go as planned. You are so right thouh, you train for so long for a marathon, and when things don't go as planned, it can be pretty disappointing. Congrats though, I think it must have been an amzaing experience.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Great race report Jono, thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear to did finish since we were unable to track you for some reason. :-? Sorry it wasn't the result you were really hoping for, but to quote gnu...
gnu wrote:Not getting what you want = bad...but you ran the freaking New York City Marathon! :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Nice summary Jono. Hope you get that knee thing worked out. Maybe the NY demons will make you run it just one more time - for redemption!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Too bad your time wasn't what you wanted, but you have ahold attitude, and write a great report.
Last edited by DougG on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Great attitude...and a great report.
Thanks for sharing all the tips...very useful for any of us who might be considering this race.

Rest up!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Great race, Jono. That's the interesting/frustrating but magical thing about the marathon, we can plan and train all we want but we never really know how it'll unfold until it's unfolding. Glad you still loved the experience, pain and all. I ran it in 2008 and it's still one of my most memorable rock-star moments :). Reading your report brought it all back.

Enjoy your well-deserved rest.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Hey Jono,
Sorry about the ITB issues. I feel your pain. :) Thanks for your report and for the tips. I hear you completely about the marathon... it's certainly a lot of eggs to put in one basket. I'm glad that you at least made the best of it and still felt positively about the race. Heal up and I hope you had a great post-race NY style dinner!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Jono's NYC marathon

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Great report Jono. Sorry about the ITBand issues. Sounds like you really struggled through the end- makes my issues sound like a cakewalk. Hope you recover well.

Marathons don't always go as we hope- there are just too many variables and they aren't forgiving like shorter races. Good for you for toughing it out to finish.

Glad you had a good experience overall. Just so you know- You probably wouldn't have wanted to get to the ferry too much later- my ferry time was 7:30 and I got there at just before 7:25. I didn't even get on till 7:50- there were so many keen people there with later ferry times that it got very crowded. By the time I got to the start village it was already about 9:15 and I had to check my bag by 9:30 for the wave 2 start. So no waiting around time.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Great report, you nailed it. A good race to just take it all in anyways.
Made me realize that I haven't run a marathon since New York, 3 years ago!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 pm

alexk wrote:Great race, Jono. That's the interesting/frustrating but magical thing about the marathon, we can plan and train all we want but we never really know how it'll unfold until it's unfolding. Glad you still loved the experience, pain and all. I ran it in 2008 and it's still one of my most memorable rock-star moments :). Reading your report brought it all back.

Enjoy your well-deserved rest.

No rest for the wicked... sightseeing all day today and tomorrow! This is an awesome city... makes Toronto feel pretty tiny.

Thanks for all the comments everyone - appreciate it!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

monkey
Johnny Miles

Postby monkey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:17 pm

hey, at least it's still a sub-4, and you have NYC marathon cross off your list!
I think you focus too much on Moraine and all the "fun" stuff! (not so much fun for me at all :-) )
if you were focused on training for the marathon you would be close to BQ!
2011 races completed:
Resolution Run . Grimsby Half . The Game of Life 5k(PB) . Around the Bay 30k(PB) . MSH Legacy 5k(PB) . Sporting Life 10k(PB) . Mississauga Marathon(PB) . Oakridge Moraine Relay . Toronto 5k(PB) . Acura 10 Miler(PB) . Midsummer Night 30k(PB) . Wasaga Half(PB) . Oakville TurkeyRun 5k(PB) . Angus Glen Half(PB)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:29 pm

monkey wrote:hey, at least it's still a sub-4, and you have NYC marathon cross off your list!
I think you focus too much on Moraine and all the "fun" stuff! (not so much fun for me at all :-) )
if you were focused on training for the marathon you would be close to BQ!

I'm sure I'd do better, but it wasn't the problem this time I don't think... I put in a lot more running mileage this time around... several 30km+ runs and pretty high weekly totals. Just not sure what happened with the knee! :( I had a few whispers of a problem during training, but nothing that ever amounted to a real problem. I guess the hills combined with the distance just got to me. Even that is weird, as I did a lot of hill running in training.

jono
Visit my blog!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:44 am

Your opening sentence is exactly what I would write about this experience. It truly was incredible.
Sorry you had to endure that kind of discomfort. You did it though, and regardless of the outcome, it really is an experience to cherish.
Congrats on gutting it out and enjoy the rest of the visit.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:23 am

Congratulations on running the NYC Marathon! Sorry to hear it wasn't what you expected, but so happy that you completed it!

Enjoy the sight seeing :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:21 am

gnu wrote:Sounds like a mixed bag (like most marathons) - you didn't get what you wanted in New York. Not getting what you want = bad...but you ran the freaking New York City Marathon! :lol:

Thanks for the great report, Jono!

YOU RAN THE FREAKING NYC MARATHON! Karen, you do have that way with words. So sorry to read about your knee pain, that definitely sucks after putting in the time and effort of training. Your hints/tips are great ... maybe one day ... :wink:

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Jono's NYC marathon

Postby purdy65 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Wow! Knee pain = not nice, crossing the finish line in central park= priceless!

Congrats!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

monkey
Johnny Miles

Postby monkey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:55 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I'm sure I'd do better, but it wasn't the problem this time I don't think... I put in a lot more running mileage this time around... several 30km+ runs and pretty high weekly totals. Just not sure what happened with the knee! :( I had a few whispers of a problem during training, but nothing that ever amounted to a real problem. I guess the hills combined with the distance just got to me. Even that is weird, as I did a lot of hill running in training.
jono

full marathon is a tricky thing to solve, I think I have found my solution... you'll have to find yours, probably by running a few more marathons :-)
what was your weekly mileage and intensity like?
2011 races completed:
Resolution Run . Grimsby Half . The Game of Life 5k(PB) . Around the Bay 30k(PB) . MSH Legacy 5k(PB) . Sporting Life 10k(PB) . Mississauga Marathon(PB) . Oakridge Moraine Relay . Toronto 5k(PB) . Acura 10 Miler(PB) . Midsummer Night 30k(PB) . Wasaga Half(PB) . Oakville TurkeyRun 5k(PB) . Angus Glen Half(PB)

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:52 pm

monkey wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:I'm sure I'd do better, but it wasn't the problem this time I don't think... I put in a lot more running mileage this time around... several 30km+ runs and pretty high weekly totals. Just not sure what happened with the knee! :( I had a few whispers of a problem during training, but nothing that ever amounted to a real problem. I guess the hills combined with the distance just got to me. Even that is weird, as I did a lot of hill running in training.
jono

full marathon is a tricky thing to solve, I think I have found my solution... you'll have to find yours, probably by running a few more marathons :-)

Or I can just do something else... :)

My whole reason for taking all this stuff up was to stay healthy and have fun. If there are more fun ways to do that, then I'm leaning toward those, especially now that Boston is out of the question. So for next year at least, it's trail running, cyclocross, mountain biking... and all the races that combine those together.

Kind of like Ironman... I did it, loved it, then put it on the shelf until next time I feel like it. Maybe when I turn 40 or something. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”