OrleansRunner Celebrates in Boston (pics added)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

OrleansRunner Celebrates in Boston (pics added)

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 pm

April-17-12
8:26 AM

My journey to Boston is a long one, so get yourself a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, and put your feet up....

In June 2007, at 45 years old, and weighing just under 200 lbs, I decided I had to do something to get my life/health under control. So I started eating healthy, and the weight slowly started coming off. In August, I decided that I needed to add exercise, and that would be running, so I purchased a treadmill. On my first "run", I did 1 minute running, 14 minutes walking, another 1 minute of running -- holding my aching, jiggly belly, I told my husband "Some day, I will run Boston" and the journey had begun....

I ran my first 10 km the following spring, then a half in the fall, and my first marathon in Spring 2009 at a time of 5:11 -- made a whole bunch of rookie mistakes, and learned TONS.....

I continued to train hard, joining races to keep motivated and focused (I am very goal-oriented and driven by numbers -- must be the accountant in me!!). The next spring, I was able to bring my marathon time down to 4:20:02 -- progress was being made!!

More training, more races, lots of long runs with some great people, friendships gained, and this running thing became a way of life very quickly.... I was feeling strong, confident, on "top of my game". Around this time, I realized that Boston 2012 was going to fall on my 50th Birthday -- well, it was now set -- all the signs were there!!!! The journey was being mapped out....

One of the great runners and friends I met along my journey was Andy. We ran many long runs together, discussed training, shoes, strategies, nutrition and everything else running related. He graciously accepted to pace me at the Ottawa Marathon in May 2011. I entered this race in less than stellar conditions: battling Plantar Fasciatis. Having Andy with me, setting the pace, keeping us on track km after km, allowed me to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, following him one step behind as we had done through all those winter training runs. We crossed the finish line, Andy raising my hand in victory. My journey was now well under way.....

I took the summer off running, determined to treat the foot so that I could come back strong. During this same summer, I lost my Father, my inspiration, my hero. I knew that when I would get back to running, I would run for him, to continue to honour the values he instilled in me: determination, drive, the desire to be the best that I could be....

In October, I started running again, building up with 1&1's, 2&1's, etc..... It was a long road, but I was determined because I had received confirmation that I WAS GOING TO BOSTON!!!

Over the next several months, training went well, I was feeling strong, and having a great time.

• It is now Boston week .... On Saturday, Hubby and I headed out to Boston -- we are spending the week, so we are driving --- an uneventful drive, beautiful weather. I had decided that there would be no time goal for Boston; I was going to enjoy every moment, take it all in. (However, in the back of my mind, there was still this "sub-4 would be really nice" voice -- remember I'm obsessed with numbers!!). Upon arriving in Boston, I started hearing reports of weather conditions, and that sub-4 voice went away pretty quickly -- phew!!! Spent Sunday, walking around Boston with Hubby, ran into some friends for quick hellos and hugs, and early dinner and bed.

I must say that the organization of the event is amazing -- the buses to Hopkinton are very well organized, and hassle free. My time in the Athlete's Village went very quickly, and in no time we were being called into our corrals. And then, we were off -- I completely missed the start line: we were walking and then we were running, and I just followed along....(and hit the start button on my Garmin, of course!!!)

Around 2 km, Lisa (Purdy) came up along side me, and we chatted for a few minutes. I had decided to wear "bobble ears" with a "5" and an "0", as well as balloons that said Happy 50th Birthday.... The Crowds LOVED this -- I got so much support and cheers. Everything was going really well, until about 8 km, and then I started getting chills, and I knew I had to back off and manage my body. I started taking Gatorade on BOTH sides of the road -- (the aid stations were on both sides of the road, but staggered, so I would first stick to the right, and take Gatorade, and then run over to the left a 100 m ahead and take Gatorade again, and then take water and pour it over my head. I continued this the whole way through..... The strangest thing happened during this marathon -- I had no idea where I was in terms of distance -- I would see mile markers, do the quick math, figure out where I was, and then it would just leave my mind -- I was too busy taking in the crowds, the cheering, thanking everyone for their birthday wishes, high-5's to the kids, Gatorade and water at the stations -- I was really busy, and the km's just clicked away. Every once in a while, I would switch screens on my Garmin to see where I was, and would be surprised to see 30 km or 36 km, or 40 km... WOW, where had the time gone? My birthday party was almost over.... The crowds were soooo awesome, singing happy birthday, thinking it was awesome that I was 50 today, so on and so forth.... In no time, I was back in Boston, then seeing CITGO, then the blue finishing arch (about 700 m away), and then the tears were just pouring down my face -- I had just run the Boston marathon on my 50th Birthday. My Journey was COMPLETE!!!

It was an amazing journey -- I am healthy, fit, happy, and having the time of my life..... I have made great friends, met some very inspiritional people, and have learned a great deal about myself.

So now on to my next journey, as I continue to celebrate my 50 years on this earth -- there is a 50 km in June and a 50-miler in October..... Hope you'll follow along.....
Last edited by orleansrunner1962 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: OrleansRunner Celebrates in Boston

Postby HCcD » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Congratulations, on living your Dream, Sylvie ...

I am also blessed to have been invited to joining you on part of your journey to Boston and was so impressed with your determination in not letting anything get in your way, with your injury last year, and the passing of your father, which if I recall, provided you with the extra strength to your recovery last year, with even more focus and strength in your desire to Run in the Boston Marathon on your 50th Birthday, and In Memory of your Father ...

Even the conditions in Boston did not deter you from achieving your Dreams, as you accepted the challenging conditions that Mother Nature had thrown at you, and you conquered it with a lot of strength and courage and, stayed true to yourself, in taking it all in ... What an amazing and memorable way to celebrate your birthday ... 8)

Looking forward to following the next 363 days, as you celebrate your 50th year on this earth, and, in particular, to be part of your celebration, along the way ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Reading your journey inspires me so, so much. Thank you for sharing it. Congratulations on meeting your goal, and good luck with where your journey takes you next. :)
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Well done. That is great way to handle Boston. 50 is special, so is Boston and so are you. Congrats.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 pm

congrats on getting through what must have been a very difficult year, and coming out with such a positive attitude and a wonderful experience!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:20 am

Thanks for the kleenex fest. ;-)
I worried for you when injury struck last year and couldn't be happier for the outcome you accomplished.
Amazing!
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:27 am

Congratulations!
You had a dream and you got to live it! Nice :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

OrleansRunner Celebrates in Boston

Postby Kelodie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:42 am

Congratulations Sylvie! You are an inspiration. :-)
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:03 am

Congrats Sylvie!!!!

My 50s have been awesome so far. Hope your's are too.

Hey, while back east, you could drive around that 50 mile course you have in mind.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:10 am

Marg wrote:Thanks for the kleenex fest. ;-)

+1 to that one. As I've mentioned to you on multiple occasions on here, you are amazing and such an inspiration. I'm so thrilled to read about your magical 50th birthday in Boston and look forward to hearing about the race and your vacation when I see you in-person next.
Carm

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:14 am

What a fantastic birthday party!! Well done Sylvie!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:22 am

Aww Sylvie - Nicely done!. What a celebration!

It was so good to see you on the course - but how could I miss you with those balloons! :lol: :lol: I loved the comments you were getting!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:33 am

What an awesome race report and fantastic experience you had. I'm sure the conditions will just add to the memory, and definitely not take away from it. Congratulations to you, and Happy 50th! What a way to celebrate. The crowds are beyond comparison, truly. WTG

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:08 am

What a journey! What a way to celebrate 50! What a memorable day. :YMPARTY:
CONGRATULATIONS
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

kaybee
Johnny Miles

Postby kaybee » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 am

I agree about the kleenex. Great report Sylvie. You are truly inspiring. It was so great to see you at mile 22 all decked out with your birthday attire and looking so HAPPY! I have no doubt you will crush 50k then 50 miles. Keep enjoying the journey.

Karen

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:35 am

This Race Report needs a disclaimer!

"This Race Report may bring you to tears and may inspire you."

Sylvie, you are truly wonderful. I'm certain that your dad is so proud of you right now - I know I am. You are such an inspiration, and your journey to Boston and your Boston Race sound like they were both life changing and amazing.

Congratulations!

:ymhug:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:36 am

congrats! You worked so hard for this! I am so glad you had such a memorable birthday!!!! :D

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:01 am

Congrats on a wonderful birthday run :D

You almost had me crying at my desk!

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:06 am

Outstanding; the journey, the training, the race, the report. I look forward to more of the same.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am

Bravo and Happy Birthday, Sylvie! :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am

Congrats. Well done!
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:48 am

Best birthday ever... It would be interesting to send this race report back to "2007 Sylvie".

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:51 am

ian wrote:Best birthday ever... It would be interesting to send this race report back to "2007 Sylvie".

I believe that iRun posted a FB request for Boston RR's to be included in the next edition .... :wink:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:00 am

awesome awesome job Sylvie!

I can't wait to see pictures of your hat and balloons!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 am

Irongirl wrote:awesome awesome job Sylvie!

I can't wait to see pictures of your hat and balloons!

lookie, lookie, what I found on FB ... :P :wink:

Return to “Run/Race Reports”