ORW for NMG . . .

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
NMG
Bill Crothers

ORW for NMG . . .

Postby NMG » Tue May 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd post a quick update of my race this past weekend. It was my second 1/2 marathon and I was looking forward to improving upon my 2:20 from last year. I was pretty confident as I had run a number of 19's and 20's at near my goal pace (I was shooting for 2:15) and those runs felt pretty darn good, but they were all done in fairly cool temps . As raceday was getting closer, I became more and more worried about the heat . . .

So, race morning I was prepped pretty well. I had a decent nights sleep, I had some food in me, I was rested and comfortable. When I first got downtown there was still a bit of a fog and the temp was actually quite nice. After it lifted though, I had a hunch I was going to be in trouble. My problem is that I just don't like heat. If there is anything I don't like more than heat, it's heat combined with direct sun, LOL.

So shortly after my corral got stared, I settled into a nice pace which was pretty close to my goal pace. It felt very good. My legs were fresh, the breathing was good and I was quite comfortable. First water station and out of cups. What???? No biggie I thought, I'll get some at the next one. Next station, out of cups again so I tried to drink my my hands. It was right about this time that I was thinking "this is a bad omen". The hand drinking didn't work so I just got some water dumped into my hat. This was at KM 5-6 I think. That's when I started to realize that the heat was getting pretty noticeable to me and my pace was really starting to slow down. I was also thanking God for the guy with the hose that drenched me as I ran by.

The next 10K or so of the race all sort of matched the same theme. Me getting way too hot and slowing down until the next water station so that I could take a couple of drinks and pour a couple on my head and down my back. Thankfully there were ample cups by this point in time. That brief reprieve was enough to keep me going for a KM or two after each station, but once the water had dried up and the cooling effect gone, it was back to the suffering. All I could really think about was that I had to finish this race.

By the time I hit the sponge station in Gatineau with I'm guessing about 5K left, I was just hoping I could finish up under 2:30. I had long since lost the 2:20 pace bunny, but the 2:30 was still within sight. As I started heading over the bridge back to Ottawa, I started to get some minor chills. All I could think of was how the heck it was possible to get chills when I was so damn hot. Well, I think minor heat stroke could explain it, LOL. I slowed down some more and tried to be more deliberate in my pace and just focus on putting one foot in front of the other. The incline on the bridge felt like a wall and I was basically speed walking of speed shuffling at that point, just trying to keep some semblance of a pace up.

Eventually I made it back to Ottawa and I was just starting to feel a tiny bit of fatigue in my legs. I was surprised they held out so long. They were actually in pretty good shape all things considered. It was just the overall fatigue from the heat that was taking its toll on me this day. As I got closer and closer to the finish, I realized that the suffering would soon be over so I just kept moving. After crossing the line I just wanted water and a snack. I looked down at my watch and it read 2:34 and change.

I learned a bunch of stuff on Sunday. I learned that expectations are only as good as the conditions. I learned that had it not been for the last 3-4 months of training, that 2:34 would have been much worse. I learned that I need to be smarter about the pace I pick when starting out in conditions like that. I learned that it's okay to not meet your goal if you learn something from it.

So here I am, after further reflection, very happy with a 2:34. I can say that because I know I'll be better the next time I have to deal with those conditions :wink:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: ORW for NMG . . .

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Glad you were able to come to a happy place with your result - the conditions at this race are always a wild card, and it's so frustrating to put months into training for a less than perfect day. Congrats on your race!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Great job in the heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMC 2015

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed May 28, 2014 11:56 am

Congratulations on getting it done in some difficult conditions.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed May 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Congrats on a great race on a hot day!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed May 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Spring races can be so difficult with that chance that the conditions will be hot. We had such a cold, long winter of training and now it finally gets hot in a hurry. So cruel. You did well to stick it out though. I hope you are feeling better and recovered. Congrats!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed May 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks all! Yes, I'm fully recovered now and looking forward to a summer of running with no set agenda!

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Wed May 28, 2014 7:37 pm

Way to hang in in there. I was watching my wife race the HM and I was uncomfortably hot so I can imagine how it must have been on the course. Your training won't go to waste, there are a few nice Fall HMs in this area!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed May 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Congrats on your race, which was well-run in miserable heat! That shows real toughness--carrying on while shivering from heat exhaustion. Good luck on your next half--maybe in the nice, cool autumn?
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu May 29, 2014 8:46 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:Glad you were able to come to a happy place with your result - the conditions at this race are always a wild card, and it's so frustrating to put months into training for a less than perfect day. Congrats on your race!

+1 ORW is a tough race for that. It always seems to be one of the first warm weekends. You have a great post-race perspective on things though. Congrats on another 1/2 marathon!

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Thu May 29, 2014 11:23 am

Congratulations on your 2nd 1/2 marathon! The heat can be such a factor and it sounds like you ran a very smart race!
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 29, 2014 11:34 am

Congratulations, on completing another 1/2 marathon ... And, it appears that you attained your PHd with all the lessons that you learned on the weekend ... Ha !!! :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Thu May 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks again everyone. The words of wisdom and support are much appreciated!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”