Big kids fish sticks ;)

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Big kids fish sticks ;)

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm

I was watching Everyday Italian today for a little bit, while I really don't like Giada De Laurentis as a host, I like her food. She did something today that gave me an idea, so I played around with it a wee bit. I eat a lot of salmon, so it's always nice to find a different way to do it up!

2 portions of salmon
1/4 c flour - season with salt & pepper
1/4 c of egg white
Italian seasoned bread crumbs and parmigiana cheese: I added Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) for extra crunch factor!

Oven preheats to 450 degrees.

Slice the salmon into 3/4 inch slices across, dip in the flour, then the egg white, then roll in the bread crumb/cheese mixture. Place the sticks on a cooking sheet and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil.

Bake for 15-18 minutes. The crust will be crispy and slightly golden. I found the fish stayed incredibly moist, I was skeptical due to the thin slices but the coating kept all that yummy in while making them crunchy and flavourful on the outside!

She made a dip with 1/3 c light mayo, 1/3 c plain yogurt, a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and some fresh parsley.. I'm not a big dip fan, so I passed on that..
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Sounds yummy. Tell me more about panko. What does it look like? Where did you buy it?

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Panko crumbs are really flaky .. think the old school instant mashed potato flakes.. :wink: You can usually find them in the Asian food area of the grocery store.

Where I shop there is a little sushi area and around the side they have a lot of the different sauces & noodles.. found them there.

They add a really light crunch factor to things I find.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:49 pm

Yes this sounds very tasty! I'm going to try and find this panko
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I love salmon...I have to try this..I'll be looking for panko at my Asian grocery store.

Thanks Mini :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks! I too am going to try and find panko.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:40 pm

I tried this tonight with Tilapia. It came out quite good. Like Tracey's mine came out very moist inside the breading. I didn't use the italian seasoned bread crumbs because I thought I didn't have any (turns out I did, but they are probably stale anyhow). I used regular bread crumbs and mixed panko flakes and oregano, basil and roasted red pepper with garlic spices into it. I bought the tilapia at the Independent where it is on sale this week and three huge pieces for $5.00. I also bought the panko there at the fresh fish counter. I would imagine most large size grocery stores would have it. If we have it in Trenton, I am sure you shouldn't have any problem getting it at even a normal grocery store in Montreal, Kingston or Winnipeg. :wink:

That dip sounds yummy - I may try this next time too.
Jane

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:40 pm

I tried to find Panko the other week to make home made chicken fingers. Couldn't find it, but I was looking with the bread crumbs and shake n bake. I'll have to check out the Asian section this week.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm going to try to find some panko as well. I'm thinking for my homemade chicken fingers. (And maybe my orange chicken too.... hmmm the wheels are spinning.)

Thanks T
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:30 pm

runjanerun wrote:If we have it in Trenton, I am sure you shouldn't have any problem getting it at even a normal grocery store in Montreal, Kingston or Winnipeg. :wink:

I haven't found it yet here. Tried IGA and Metro. Will go to Maxi this week but this panko thing is not super easy to find!!
Sonia

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 pm

Dr. S wrote:
runjanerun wrote:If we have it in Trenton, I am sure you shouldn't have any problem getting it at even a normal grocery store in Montreal, Kingston or Winnipeg. :wink:

I haven't found it yet here. Tried IGA and Metro. Will go to Maxi this week but this panko thing is not super easy to find!!

I asked the woman who makes the sushi today and she sold me the tempura, she says it's like panko.... so yeah that's what I got, will that be good too?
Sonia

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:55 pm

I don't think tempura is at all like panko. Panko is like white flakes.

Look at this link (gosh a whole link just about different kinds of crumbs!!) - third photo from the bottom.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http ... image&cd=1

If you can find a store that has a fresh fish section, this is where I got mine from. In a bin in front of where they sell the fresh fish.
Jane

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Re: Big kids fish sticks ;)

Postby Dr. S » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:42 pm

I finally found some panko (alleluia!) and remembered this recipe. I made it tonight and it is fantastic! Loved it! Thanks for sharing Tracy!

For those who like dips, this one taste awesome.
Sonia

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re: Big kids fish sticks ;)

Postby jgore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I entirely missed this the first time around. Thanks for bringing it up again. I'm definitely going to try it.

Make sure this gets into the RM Cookbook.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”