Breakfast cereal

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
LILSPARK
Tom Longboat

Breakfast cereal

Postby LILSPARK » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:10 am

I'm not really a cereal person at all, but I'm looking for a healthy cereal that taste good and that will fuel me for the morning. My usual breakfast- chicken nuggets is just not doing it for me anymore. I've tried Muslix bannana nut and I like it. so what kind of cereal do you like (besided fruit loops and lucky charms lol)?

gamma j
Bruce Kidd

Postby gamma j » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:22 am

Sorry.. this isn't an answer to your question, but I just wanted to say that I am also interested in any suggestions...

I have gone through a real "slump" for breakfast. I've always eaten breakfast... cereal, oatmeal, toast, etc. Lately, I've had absolutely no interest in eating anything I have & I think it's due to boredom!

I need something new... quick& easy, though.

I've often thought smoothies would be great, but I don't have a blender handy, nor will I, mostly because of counter space.

Jean :D

Jelly Beans
Tom Longboat

Postby Jelly Beans » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:24 am

I have a bowl of oatmeal with raisins and brownsugar.
I buy the oatmeal and raisins in bulk, and fill a big bowl.
I'm usually good until for the morning.

It's good for you - raisins are good sources of iron and its low fat.
Using brown sugar means its not got a bunch of processed sugars in it.

And it only takes a minute.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
~Ashleigh Brilliant~

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:26 am

Kellog's Just Right. Still yummy even though it is on the healthy side. My cereal absolutely has to taste good! I have been known to eat a couple of bowls of it for any meal of the day (read: I live on breakfast cereal when grocieries are low and I am too lazy to cook) :wink:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:30 am

I eat oatmeal practically every morning. I buy the plain instant kind and add one tbsp of brown sugar, 2 tbsps of half and half and 7 almonds. I like the almonds because they add a bit of crunch and some protein.

Have you considered something other than cereal for breakfast? Eggs?

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:34 am

I'm not a cereal gal.

I have thin slices of my homemade nutty bread. Toasted to the best crispiness possible before burning. Low sugar jam and 3-4 cups of tea. It takes me 25 minutes to eat my little toasts and my 3-4 cups of tea. I usually will have my newspaper or a running magasine... eat tiny little bites put it down and drink 2-3 sips of tea and I go at it again until it's all gone.

But don't tell anyone about this ritual of mine..... :oops:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:40 am

gamma j wrote:I've often thought smoothies would be great, but I don't have a blender handy, nor will I, mostly because of counter space.

Jean, pick up one of those handheld blenders. I've got a very old one and it still works like a charm. You can store it in a drawer. Make sure to get a one of the more heavy-duty ones so it will last.

I'm with Jelly Beans; oatmeal is my mainstay, usually with raisins and/or dates and brown sugar. I often use any fruit and vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, allspice, cloves, even mint, either alone or in combination. Sometimes I'll throw in a bit of shredded coconut, "Cream of Wheat", cornmeal, eight-grain cereal, bran buds. Other sweeteners I use to change the flavour are honey, especially buckwheat honey, maple syrup, or a spoonful of jam.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:42 am

I really like Vector cereal, but it has a fair amount of sugar in it. Then again, so does flavoured instant oatmeal. :wink:

-Natalie
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:44 am

Jelly Beans wrote:Using brown sugar means its not got a bunch of processed sugars in it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but...

Brown sugar is just regular white sugar with molasses added to it. It doesn't have any nutritional benefits over white sugar at all. It's the same stuff.

Jelly Beans
Tom Longboat

Postby Jelly Beans » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:46 am

Corn Bran squares and mult-grain Cherrios are good too.
But I usually eat those for a snack or for dessert, not for breakfast.

I used to find multi-grain or flax bagels filing, but I want to avoid the fat of margarine and save the breads for lunch. (mmmmmmbread).
:D

~Ashleigh Brilliant~

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:49 am

Jordan's Museli.

50% fruit and nuts the rest is mostly rolled oats. No refine sugars added (except a bit in the banana chips)

Delicious, healthy, filling.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:55 am

dgrant wrote:Brown sugar is just regular white sugar with molasses added to it. It doesn't have any nutritional benefits over white sugar at all. It's the same stuff.

I know, but I still like the taste.

LILSPARK
Tom Longboat

Cereal

Postby LILSPARK » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:07 am

Has anyone tried Kashi or that Optimum Zen stuff. I'm not a morning person either so the food has to be something I can get ready and eat in 10 minutes- getting up earlier is not an option :( I eaten oatmeal a lot but it doesn't keep me full.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:13 am

I'm not a cereal person--can't stand the sugary milk. The ONLY cereal I'll buy is the all-natural bulk muesli from save-on. It's just the grains, no added sugar or anything. It sounds bland but is actually pretty good. I usually buy the one with raisins in it and then add fresh bananas or strawberries to sweeten it. :)

Otherwise, I'm another one that eats a lot of oatmeal (not instant). I always add raisins and brown sugar for flavour. It only takes a few minutes to prepare, and is better for you than the instant stuff.

Other breakfast foods:
toast
fried egg sandwich
bagel and berry yogurt from Tim's ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:14 am

dgrant wrote:
Jelly Beans wrote:Using brown sugar means its not got a bunch of processed sugars in it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but...

Brown sugar is just regular white sugar with molasses added to it. It doesn't have any nutritional benefits over white sugar at all. It's the same stuff.

I use Sucanat instead of sugar. I know I should give up sugar entirely, but realistically it's never going to happen.

From their web-site:

"Sucanat is evaporated cane sugar. It stands for SUgar CAne NATural -- get it? Sugar cane in and of itself isn't problematic -- it's the processing of sugar that causes the problems. Sucanat is a delightful tasting substitute (tastes much like brown sugar) that is a lot gentler on the body than regular white sugar.

Sucanat measures just like regular white sugar and looks just like it except it's slightly brown in color. Because the processing is so much milder than the white sugar processing, Sucanat retains nutrients. It's actually high in potassium!"

Jelly Beans
Tom Longboat

Postby Jelly Beans » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:29 am

jgore wrote:
dgrant wrote:Brown sugar is just regular white sugar with molasses added to it. It doesn't have any nutritional benefits over white sugar at all. It's the same stuff.

I know, but I still like the taste.

Ditto!

Wih the brown sugar, at least you know how much you are putting on your oatmeal. With a lot of boxed cereals, its sometimes hidden, high and overly processed.

And besides molasses is high in iron.

~Ashleigh Brilliant~

cjc
Bruce Kidd

Postby cjc » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:31 am

Yep, if I'm going with cereal, it's oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar, and bananas ... and coffee, orange juice and sometimes half a wheat bagel with peanut butter and ... :oops:! Quick and easy! Sometimes I'll have a bowl just for a snack if I'm feeling hungry.

Thanks, gotta add oatmeal to the grocery list ... which seems to be growing by the minute!

Cathy

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:38 am

I have Bran Flakes/Shredded Wheat, or oatmeal with whole almonds & bananas on top. I have a green drink as well every morning. If I don't get my brekky, look out :shock:
Then I fuel up on ceffee of course. :D for a change of pace I'll have a protein drink blended with a banana.
I never skip breakfast, I look forward to the 10-15 minutes eating while reading my paper.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:47 am

I have oatmeal (not instant) and I normally add raisins, a touch of brown sugar, frozen blueberries (or if I have any other fresh berries I add them) and some skim milk. I love it.

My new microwave is much stronger than my old one. The first time I tried to make breakfast in my new house I had oatmeal completely covering the microwave. It used to take me 2 minutes. Now I'm down to one. :)

I have that before a long run or leaving for work. I have my tea, yogurt and banana later!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:55 am

I've become a fan of the All Bran with strawberry filling - no added sugar and just a bit of fruit to counter the cardboard taste / texture of the cereal.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:31 pm

MMM, I'm a converted "non-breakfast" person. I started eating breakky a few years ago when I was losing weight and had problems getting bored too.

Fibre 1 cereal, the honey cluster one
Optimum cereal - the Blueberry, flax & soy one..YUMMM - I just picked up the "bar" version of this at Costco a couple of weeks ago, kind of like those oatmeal on the go bars
Red River Cereal. I add frozen blueberries when cooking it
Oatmeal, not instant, but the kind you cook on the stove, again-frozen berries added when cooking it
Egg white omlette with veggies & salsa - can be done in the microwave in a hurry
Smoothies, with milk, yogurt, frozen fruit, protein powder if you want
Yogurt & fruit

For the cooked cereals, I do up a couple of days worth in the evening & then heat it up in the microwave, not much of a morning person :oops: so this helps me avoid the rush in the AM.

And of course, a big ole coffee to go along with it!

Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:52 pm

I like Vector for breakfast cereal!

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:57 pm

Granulated Fructose is a good alternative to sugar. (lower glycemic index)

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:26 pm

Lean_Machine wrote:I like Vector for breakfast cereal!

I'm picking up what you're putting down, LM.

I have Vector every morning, and before my LSDs... I also like the Vector bars for a long run snack.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:30 pm

I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch, which is high in protein & fibre and low in sugar. It's sort of granola-like. It's great mixed in with yogurt/fruit, too. There's also the plain Go Lean which is even lower in sugar but takes some getting used to.

When I have oatmeal, I make it with skim milk instead of water and I usually add some maple syrup to it (but just a touch), sometimes nuts and seeds.

Ever since I did the low-carb thing a few years ago I've lost my desire for overly sweet things (except candy/chocolates/baking). I prefer to be able to control the sweetness of my food myself. Most processed foods are far too sweet for my taste. Especially the low-fat things that substitute corn syrup for fat. :x
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”