Dairy-free protein powder

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:10 am

Are there any tasty ones out there?

I tried one over the weekend - Protein Plus, I believe is what it was called and it was gross.

I have recently learned I am allergic to dairy.

I used to have a protein shake after my morning workout and then eat breakfast. So I am looking for that shake replacement.
Thanks

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:40 am

I use Genisoy. I like it (vanilla flavoured).

Vega is supposed to be good if you don't want soy but it costs about 2-3 times as much.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Re: Dairy-free protein powder

Postby hezzy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 am

We started using this one in smoothies:

http://thegreatbalancingact.files.wordp ... =336&h=497

It says vegetarian but it's actually vegan. It's pretty good and not too expensive. We get it at Superstore.

ETA: we use the chocolate one. I haven't tried the unflavoured one.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 am

We're a Vega family. The product lineup can be expensive at regular price, but if you watch/wait for sales, it can be affordable.

Shoppers Drug Mart puts the large Health Food Optimizer and Sports Protein tubs on sales for $50-$52 on a regular basis (watch the flyer). I also get some of the products shipped in from http://www.canadianvitaminshop.com/ - they run great promos, and shipping is free with a $70+ purchase.

If you want to try Vega without making a "tub" commitment - look for the little sample type pouches (one serving package) at Loblaws, health food stores, etc.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:12 am

I use rice protein powder as I can't do soy.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:18 am

I also like Genisoy. I used to use the powder, but now I use the bars for long runs. :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks.

It looks like Vega may be the next one I try. I can't have sugar, so 15g in the Genisoy is not good.

abirdd wrote: If you want to try Vega without making a "tub" commitment - look for the little sample type pouches (one serving package) at Loblaws, health food stores, etc.

Thanks! We saw the full tubs at Zehr's last weekend, but no samples. We're going into a larger city this weekend with a Supercentre, so I'll take a look for the single serve there. I hate buying a big container only to find it tastes horrible.
Thanks

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 pm

I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein powder (it is a complete protein).

http://www.manitobaharverst.com

My morning smoothie is:

- 1 cup frozen berries
- 4 Tbsp Hemp Protein powder (I use the Hemp Pro 50 - 15 grams of protein/5 grams carbs 4 fibre/1 sugar per serving)
- 1 1/4 cup of Chocolate Hemp Milk - Manitoba Harvest Hemp Bliss (you can use soy milk as well, but you will need about 1 1/2 cups as it is thicker than hemp milk)

Blend up and enjoy!

I have it at about 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning and I am good until about 10:00 (morning snack time)

They also make a Dark Chocolate Protein powder (8 grams of protein/17 grams carbs 9 fibre/6 sugar per serving) as well, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:51 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:Thanks! We saw the full tubs at Zehr's last weekend, but no samples. We're going into a larger city this weekend with a Supercentre, so I'll take a look for the single serve there. I hate buying a big container only to find it tastes horrible.
Thanks

Exactly what we worried about the first time. I know for sure the Smoothie Infusion comes in a "single packet", and the Whole Food Optimizer comes in a "snack pack". Sports Protein and Sports Optimizer also come in "singles", but seem harder to get. Granted I live in a very small town, so like you, the trip into a larger city always yields better results.

You might also try calling Sequel at 1-866-839-8863, telling them your position (re: no sugar) and seeing if they have a promo/sample pack :wink:

dwayne_runs_far
Bill Crothers

Postby dwayne_runs_far » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Vega is nutritionally great, I however, struggle with the taste.

Hemp protein, as mentioned by eme above, is great. We also have a big tub of NitroFusion, but it has a bit too much sugar in it.
I run distance because I want to be in good shape when I die.
--
Friends don't let friends do anything stupid.
Alone.
Blackfoot 2007.

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:42 am

Saw the Vega line up at the city grocery store yesterday. But as it was $50, I had to pass. No samples around. I e-mailed the company asking for samples. I figured, can't hurt to try. No hemp stuff at this store.
Thanks!

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”