Jwolf's comeback half-marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Jwolf's comeback half-marathon

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Summary: I ran the BMO Vancouver half-marathon yesterday in 1:52:52. This was a comeback race after a long time off racing due to injury and recovery, and I really couldn't have expected a much better result. I'm so happy.

Long version: (warning-- I don't write short reports ;) ).

I went into this race not knowing exactly what to expect. I haven't been able to race a half-marathon in two years and haven't done much other racing since my marathon in 2008. This race yesterday was really a fitness test/indicator, even though I haven't been doing a lot of half-marathon-specific training. The goal all along was to just put in the mileage and get to the start-line to race-- and I am very happy with how I was able to do. I figured I'd be somewhere between 1:50-1:55 (my best time is 1:51, and realistically I knew I was quite there); I picked up a 1:52:30 pace band at the expo and figured that would do. :)

My plan was to start at a 5:15-5:20/km pace and see how that felt, speeding up a bit in the second half possible. I mentally broke the race into three parts: the first 8K which would seem hard but doable, the middle 8K which would feel tougher and include both the up and most of the down of the hill at Prospect Point, and the last 5K where I would just keep pushing as hard as I could.

The first 8K went about as planned, although I had to start quite a bit slower. The crowd was crazy and I didn't start close enough in the front of the pack, so I felt a bit boxed in once we started running. But this was just as well, since I decided not to do a warm-up for this race and just warmed up in the first few kilometres. My first kilometre split was a slow 5:35. Although I was always surrounded by a lot of people, the space opened up and I was able to get into my pace after that, averaging about 5:15/km. Someone asked for the time at the 5K mark, and I said, “about 27 minutes”. I stupidly forgot to retie my shoe laces properly before the race (they were quite loose); I had to stop to retie at about 7K and had a short water/gel break after that, and by 8K I was feeling just about as I expected.

The race overall was pretty uneventful but very enjoyable-- I felt strong and confident for most of the way. Kilometres 8-12 through the beginning of Stanley Park was just gorgeous and peaceful, even in the crowded race. We started up the hill somewhere before kilometre 13, and it was tough but I still felt strong. I did slow down to as slow as 6:00/km, but it was over faster than I remembered (the hill is about 1.5K long, but my slowing down is noted in kilometres 12-14 where I did 5:37-5:57 splits). I was keeping an eye on my heart rate and didn't want it to get too high above my lactate threshold, but I wasn't a slave to it-- I was mostly running by feel. The down side of the hill felt so nice-- my heart rate dropped and my speed picked up to under 5:00/km.

Just before we got to the bottom of the hill I remember seeing the 10-mile sign and checking my time, knowing that this meant that we had exactly 5K to go. My time was 1:27:xx, and after a quick calculation I realized that even if I slowed down quite a bit at this point, I'd still come in with a respectable time. But I didn't slow down- I was able to keep pushing hard and strong and finished the last 5K in just over 25 minutes or about 5:05/km average. It felt amazing to be able to speed up a bit at that point, although it was mentally tough to hold on. This is where I really had to remember how to race, and I'm happy that my body did remember. At the finish it was still pretty crowded and I didn't hear my name, but I was so happy to see that my time on my watch was just under 1:53. Official time was 1:52:52 (average pace 5:20/km), so only a minute and half slower than my best half-marathon time.

Overall, it was such a great experience. I was so happy to be out there again and racing hard. My results show that I'm getting my fitness back and I didn't have too much discomfort from my injuries. If that's ever completely gone I should be able to train to improve on my half-marathon time as well as those at the shorter distances. I know I'm ready to train for a 4:00 marathon in the fall, which is the goal for this year.

Thanks for reading, and thanks to all of you who wrote such supportive comments here and on Facebook or text yesterday. It means so much to me.

Sidebar:

If anyone is interested in my kilometre splits and heart rates, they are here: http://www.itsmyrun.com/laps.php?id=29325
[I should note that I forgot to shut off the auto-lap on my watch, and since the course measured long on my Garmin by 0.3 km, the kilometre splits from the watch are off a bit from the splits on the course by an average of about 5 sec/km.]

My heart rate was mostly in zone 2 (under my lactate threshold of 167), averaging in the low 160's for most of the first half of the race. After 10K it started creeping up into the mid 160's, and hit the low 170's coming up that hill. It recovered to under 160 on the downhill, and then went back up to the low 170's in the last couple kilometres, hitting as high as 179 near the end.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Jwolf's comeback half-marathon

Postby seuss » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm

woohoo! you must be thrilled. excellent execution.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Mon May 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Way to go Jen. Congratulations! :clap:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Mon May 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Excellent race!

The times posted here were adjusted yesterday and are a touch faster than the Live Tracking times, so it looks like you finished in 1:52:51 instead!

I saw you about 3 or 4 minutes before the race started (pretty sure it was you - the person looked like your photos, and had 'Jennifer' on their race number), but you were trying to move forward through the crowd, and I was following my friend, so I didn't get a chance to say hi. You looked pretty focussed, anyway. :D

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Mon May 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Nicely done. Welcome back from the world of injuries. I bet it feels really good.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon May 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Congrats, Jen, that's awesome!

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon May 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Kick-ass! Way to go Jen! Well executed race. :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

digirat
Johnny Miles

Postby digirat » Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm

nice job jen. i'm running the next half with you. that ought to take 20 mins off my time :D
BMO HM: 2:09:26 on 10 days of training (Race report)
10k pb: 49:38
ps. i like beer. a LOT

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Well done Jen!! keep rocking!!

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon May 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Huge congratulations to you Jenn. You've worked really hard with getting back and recovering from injury - very inspiring! Awesome!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Awesome Jenn!

So happy for you, but I honestly knew you would do well!

Now we'll have to whip each other's butts into shape for that 4hr fall marathon (both on Oct 10 BTW).

Can we do it?

Why not?

I'll have my half-marathon yardstick after next Sunday (Mississauga)

Good Luck!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon May 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Back in business & totally deserved. I think you'd have a 21K PB if you wanted to do Scotiabank.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon May 03, 2010 1:45 pm

So happy for you.
You've been diligent and committed to getting back in the game.
You've worked hard and you totally earned the great race you had yesterday.

Well done Jenn!!! :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 03, 2010 2:00 pm

So happy and excited for you. You worked hard for that, and it will carry over to your training for your fall marathon. I have no doubt you'll reach your fall goal as well.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Kristen
Bill Crothers

Postby Kristen » Mon May 03, 2010 3:35 pm

Super stuff, J! You'll no doubt see a half PB this year, as well as that sub 4-hour full. Keep up the smart & fun training.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon May 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Congratulations. That's an excellent time.

It's hard to stay motivated when coming back from injury. Trust me, I know! I'm trying to do the same.

Well done and welcome back!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon May 03, 2010 5:30 pm

Yeaaaaaahhhhhh that's right!! I'm so happy for you Jen. You deserved a great comeback race! I'm impressed that you felt strong the whole way and that you ran fairly evenly the whole time.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon May 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Great job Jen! You have really overcome that pesky injury and gotten back into great running shape!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 pm

Great race, and congrats on bouncing back from injury!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon May 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Great report Jen, not long at all! Glad you enjoyed the race and ran so well.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 03, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks everyone!

I should also say it was great to see a few friends out there yesterday, but I didn't end up hanging around to watch the marathon finishers. I just needed to get warm and dry and get some real food. While waiting in the port-a-potty line-up before the start (I never made it to the front, but at least it was a good place to wait!), Mike Olund did find me and then we went off to the starting gates together. I also saw Reba (Ian's girlfriend) who I had just met two nights before, and I'm not sure she recognized me. And by chance I also saw digirat and wished him good luck-- he didn't have much time to check his bag and make it back outside, but I did see him again for coffee after. (um, you think you're going to beat me next time?? :twisted:) I didn't see anyone on the course I knew, either runners or spectators, which is actually unusual.

Mary-- you should have said HI! I have never seen a picture of you so I had no way of knowing it was you, but I'm unmistakable. ;)

eta: official results are up:
Chip time: 1:52:51
Gun time: 1:54:50

Overall place: 1330/6561
Place gender: 431/4106
Place in age group (Female 40-44): 54/562
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Ironmike
Bill Crothers

Postby Ironmike » Mon May 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Well done Jen! Nice report too.
You've been so disciplined in your training lately, you really deserved a great race yesterday.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon May 03, 2010 7:41 pm

I'm so happy for you! You deserved this one...Congrats on a great start to the comeback year!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 03, 2010 7:46 pm

just read this now. Great job, Jen! Definitely looking good for October.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon May 03, 2010 7:57 pm

nicely raced Jen, great splits! Glad you had a great race
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Return to “Run/Race Reports”