Re: What No Boston Marathon Thread?

Postby HCcD » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 am

orleansrunner1962 wrote:
Doonst wrote:22 at 10 AM!
27 at 1 PM!
29 at 3 PM!
Mostly sunny

Best wishes.

It's like Chicago all over again -- and I can't even blame it on Andy this time!! :shock: :lol:

:shifty: Though, I think it is the combination of Lisa and Sylvie in the same marathon, now .... :think: :think: :think: :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:11 pm

you know you are in trouble when BAA sending out weather alert emails.... Yikes. My 11:15 flight cancelled due to Air Canada pilot situation...now leaving at 4:40 pm...sitting in airport...I'm off to a booming start! Love Friday the 13th lol

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:you know you are in trouble when BAA sending out weather alert emails.... Yikes. My 11:15 flight cancelled due to Air Canada pilot situation...now leaving at 4:40 pm...sitting in airport...I'm off to a booming start! Love Friday the 13th lol

WOW - you are being very calm about it..... if you end up "stuck", send me a note on RM, and make your way to Ottawa and jump in with us -- seriously!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Being a lousy hot-weather runner myself, I am crossing my fingers that the weather report changes for the better! Robin, I am also thinking of you and anyone else waiting at the airport - you'll get there, don't worry!

GOOD LUCK to everyone, have a TERRIFIC weekend! You know we'll be keeping an eye on you from here :D

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:you know you are in trouble when BAA sending out weather alert emails.... Yikes. My 11:15 flight cancelled due to Air Canada pilot situation...now leaving at 4:40 pm...sitting in airport...I'm off to a booming start! Love Friday the 13th lol

wow! now that sucks!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:28 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:

WOW - you are being very calm about it..... if you end up "stuck", send me a note on RM, and make your way to Ottawa and jump in with us -- seriously!!

Thanks, that's so nice! Things looking pretty good so far...Amelia and I got our toenails done at the airport at the 10 minute pedi station!

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Here is the warning from BAA. Wonderful :roll:

Marathon Monday in New England can offer a variety of weather conditions, and from what we can see, this Monday will be no different.

The forecast for April 16th is calling for higher than normal temperatures on the course.   If a cold front does not come through the region by mid afternoon, temperatures are predicted to reach into the low 80's.  Combine these temps with a south west wind, you may be running in a moderate level of heat and in dryer than normal conditions.
Educating yourself on the three major forms of heat illnesses will only provide you with the ability to protect yourself and to help fellow runners. All forms of heat illness  (heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke) can be exacerbated by distance running in warmer climates. Heat Stroke is a life threatening illness. The BAA requests that you take a moment to review these important heat recommendations.

Important Points to Remember:

Stay properly hydrated and recognize the early warning signs of heat illness.  As a runner, you can prevent heat-related problems from becoming a life-threatening situation.  Learn to respect the heat, even if temperatures are only in the 60's (F) on race day.

Hydrating properly is important...... But be careful; over hydrating can be just as harmful.

Heat illness is related to elevated temperatures, elevated humidity and to the speed of running.

Slow down.... Running in the heat should drastically change your pre-race strategy. Slowing down can significantly decrease many forms of heat illness.

If you are feeling sick or if you are experiencing a fever on the morning of the race, know that running in the heat will only exacerbate your illness and the symptoms of heat illness.  It is the advice of the Boston Marathon's medical team to NOT run if you are experiencing a fever on race morning -- regardless of the weather conditions. If you become dizzy, nauseated, or have the chills while running, then STOP RUNNING, find shade, and drink water or a fluid replacement drink. If you do not feel better, seek medical help.

Heatstroke occurs when the body fails to regulate its own temperature and the body temperature continues to rise. Symptoms of heatstroke include mental changes (such as confusion, delirium, or unconsciousness). Heatstroke is a life-threatening medical emergency, requiring emergency medical treatment.

Run in the shade whenever possible and avoid direct sunlight. When you are going to be exposed to the intense rays from the sun, apply at least 15 SPF sunscreen and wear protective eye wear that filters out UVA and UVB rays.

Consider wearing a visor that will shade your eyes and skin but will allow heat to transfer off the top of your head.

If you have heart or respiratory problems or you are on any medications, consult your doctor about running in the heat. In some cases it may be in your best interest to rethink your running strategy that day, and if there are extreme temperature increases on race day, then consider not running at all that day. 

If you have a history of heat stroke/illness, know that you are susceptible for this condition again, so run with extreme caution

Dress accordingly; wear as few clothes as you decently can. Try loose fitting white shorts and a white mesh top to reflect the heat and to permit evaporation. Protect your head from intense sun with a lightweight hat that can breathe. The back of the neck can be protected by the hat/visor or a cotton kerchief. 

Run with friends so that you can keep an eye on each other's medical status during the day.  If you see a runner in distress, then ask for medical assistance.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

What No Boston Marathon Thread?

Postby purdy65 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:39 pm

So long as the race is a go, I'm happy. It will definitely involve altered goals - as in I no longer have any.

Back from the expo! Crazy! Busier than I remember Chicago being!

Got my jacket and some other gear, and chatted with Katherine Switzer!

Now for a quiet dinner and drinks with DH.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:36 pm

ChrisL wrote:Here is the warning from BAA. Wonderful :roll:

Ah, the memories of BAA weather alerts. Here's the one I got in 2007:
Weather Advisory - 2007 Boston Marathon

The Boston Athletic Association's medical team recommends the following precautions and advice for participants in Monday's Boston Marathon:

FORECAST:
The most up-to-date weather forecast calls for a predicted Spring storm on Monday, including heavy rains (potentially 3 to 5 inches), with the start temperatures in the mid to upper 30's. Wind will likely be East (in the face of the participants for most of the race) in the 20 to 25 mile per hour range, with gusts to as much as 50 miles per hour. This will produce a wind chill index of 25 to 30-degrees Fahrenheit.

RISKS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FOR RUNNERS PARTICIPATING IN COLD AND WET CONDITIONS:
Combined with the rain, we are concerned that predicted weather conditions will increase the runners' risks for a condition called hypothermia. As with any athletic competition, as a runner you are assuming the risks inherent with participation. It is your responsibility to be informed about the risks associated with running in the aforementioned conditions, and the risks of injury or illness will increase with these predicted conditions.

While exercising in cold weather, our bodies attempt to maintain core temperature by shunting blood away from the periphery, thus minimizing heat loss. Hypothermia sets in when the body's temperature drops below normal, starting when the body loses heat faster than heat can be generated. Heat is produced by muscle action and shivering. Very low body temperatures can be life threatening.

WARNING SIGNS OF HYPOTHERMIA:
Mild hypothermia is heralded by goose pimples and shivering as our bodies attempt to raise our metabolic rates to increase our core temperature.
Moderate hypothermia will result in muscular fatigue, poor coordination, numbness and disorientation.
Severe hypothermia can result ultimately in cardiovascular failure. Treatment of hypothermia requires prompt recognition and treatment as mild hypothermia can progress to a more severe situation if not addressed early.

A warm spring day in Boston will be more comfortable in the athlete's village prerace and make it easier for the spectators to come out in droves. Save the PB for a cooler day and soak up an amazing experience.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

The weather forecast seems to be changing again for Monday.... cooler temps.

Also, it's always about 3 degrees (celsius) cooler in the athlete's village in Hopkinton than in Boston itself at any given time. So look at the Hopkinton forecast for the race start.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:17 am

Jenn.

Yes it will be cooler in Hopkinton, but the forecast here is still for anything from 85-88F at the finish.

I am coming to terms with it. It's actually made some decisions easier.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:48 am

Good Luck! Don't suck! I hope you all have a blast!!!! :dance:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

DJHL
Bruce Kidd

Postby DJHL » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:25 am

One good thing about the warm forecast is that I will take it much easier than I planned which is probably better for my leg. I can't think of too many other positives except perhaps even more spectator support. However, despite everything, it is great to be back here again. :D

Get back to a regular exercise routine

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:51 am

purdy65 wrote:Jenn.

Yes it will be cooler in Hopkinton, but the forecast here is still for anything from 85-88F at the finish.

Wow - it keeps changing- all dependent on whether some cold front will make it through.

Yesterday when I wrote the above post the forecast changed and was showing high of 16 in Boston (about 60F). Now it's back up to 30 again! I wonder if it will change again.

Good luck everyone and hydrate well. As Ian said its a good race to just let the time goals go and take in the experience.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Good luck everyone!!! Cheering you all on!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

kaybee
Johnny Miles

Postby kaybee » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:03 pm

BAA is now allowing deferrals for those who have picked up or will pick up their bib!
Karen

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:19 pm

http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2012/april/warm-weather-advisory.aspx

Notice to all 2012 Boston Marathon participants
We are looking closely at the current weather situation which is projected to be quite warm. The B.A.A. is closely monitoring this situation for for race day decisions. If the temperatures reach certain levels, running will put even the most fit athletes at risk for heat injury.

We are now making the recommendation that if you are not highly fit or if you have any underlying medical conditions (for example-cardiac disease, pulmonary disease or any of a number of medical problems), you should NOT run this race.

•Inexperienced marathoners should not run.
•Those who have only trained in a cooler climate and who may not be acclimated (for at least the last 10 days) to warm weather running conditions should also consider not running.
For those very fit athletes who decide to run, you should take significant precautions:

•Run at a slower pace and maintain hydration.
•You should frequently take breaks by walking instead of running.
•This will not be a day to run a personal best. If you choose to run, run safely above all else. Speed can kill.
•Heat stroke is a serious issue and is related to intensity of running as well as the heat and humidity.
Good hydration is important but over hydration can also be a problem. Thirst is an indication that you are under-hydrated. You should maintain hydration levels slightly greater than your hydration program in your training, but not excessively so.

Even the fittest athletes, that take precautions can still suffer serious heat illness. Recognizing symptoms of heat illness in yourself and others is critical , this may include headaches, dizziness, confusion, fatigue, nausea and vomiting. If you experience any of these, stop running immediately and if symptoms persist seek medical attention.

Boston Marathon Co-Medical Directors,
Dr. Pierre d'Hemecourt and Dr. Sophia Dyer

The Boston Marathon has implemented a deferment policy. To view the policy - click here

Go to www.baa.org GOOD LUCK PARTICIPANTS!
Sincerely,
B.A.A.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Wow.

I wonder how many people will decide not to run.

I was curious about the deferment policy that is mentioned at the end of the letter, but the above link and the link to the deferment policy are now broken. Perhaps they are updating them.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Jwolf wrote:Wow.

I wonder how many people will decide not to run.

I was curious about the deferment policy that is mentioned at the end of the letter, but the above link and the link to the deferment policy are now broken. Perhaps they are updating them.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/event-information/boston-marathon-deferment-policy.aspx

2012 Participants are able to defer to 2013
BOSTON MARATHON WEATHER UPDATE
Due to warm weather in Monday's forecast, a deferment option has been introduced.

Due to the unusually warm weather forecast for the Boston area on Monday, the B.A.A. will defer the entry of those official entrants to the 2013 Boston Marathon for participants who decide not to race.

This applies to official entrants (including charity runners or other waiver runners) ONLY, who either have claimed or will claim their bib number packet at the John Hancock Sports & Fitness Expo through Sunday evening at the Seaport World Trade Center in South Boston.

RULES FOR DEFERMENT:

•Runners must claim their bib number for deferment to be an option.
•In order to receive a deferment for 2013, race participants may NOT start the race.
•No refund for the 2012 entry will be given. All entry fees for 2013 must be paid.
In addition, the B.A.A. will keep the finish systems open an additional hour on race day. Whereas the finish systems generally cease just prior to 5:00 p.m., this year the finish systems will remain open until approximately 6:00 p.m.

After this year's event has completed runners who followed the rules set forth above will receive information regarding how to claim their deferment to the 2013 event.

The B.A.A. thanks all participants for their cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,
B.A.A.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Interesting. It's a good decision, imo.

I keep getting error messages when I try to view those pages-- maybe their servers are overloading again.

Also interesting how there are several outspoken people on Facebook and elsewhere complaining about this policy, claiming it will be "unfair" to those trying to register for 2013. A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Jwolf wrote:Interesting. It's a good decision, imo.

I keep getting error messages when I try to view those pages-- maybe their servers are overloading again.

Also interesting how there are several outspoken people on Facebook and elsewhere complaining about this policy, claiming it will be "unfair" to those trying to register for 2013. A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

For those whose may have been on BQ bubble, and those who may have been suffering an injury and/or have been sick in recent weeks, may take advantage of this option, so to run/race it to their abilities in 2013 ... though, no guarantee that the conditions would be any better ... :?

Unlike what happened in Chicago, a few years back, hopefully to BAA / Race Organizers will be arranging to provide more water/gatorade/cups, etc., on the course, than was originally allocated ....

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Got my jacket and some other gear, and chatted with Katherine Switzer!

Sounds like a great day, Lisa!!!! :dance:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Don't forget there are also a good number of less experienced people (fundraising entries, etc).

I doubt that most experienced marathoners and qualifiers will opt to defer if they are otherwise healthy.

Yes, it's a bit of cya on the part of the organizers but I think it's a good policy. They don't want people to feel like they have to run if this could otherwise be possibly their last chance. They won't offer this option to people that DNF so they are offering an out now. And as I said I don't think that many people will take them up on it.
Last edited by Jwolf on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 pm

Wonder what type of policy that Boston have in place, that would be similar to that of Chicago? With Green, Yellow, Red, etc., type flags / signs that indicate the conditions on the course and/or a threshold point where it would be Officially Stopped, once the race has started, for whatever reasons ???

Though, in the end, it comes down to each individual to make that decision on whether he/she should DNS/DNF and/or continue on ... As other races / events have had experience similar or more extreme conditions, and will continue to in the future, due to the unpredictability of the weather ...

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:58 pm

The conversations on Boston FB pages are quite interesting. Some pretty strong feelings out there. I can't imagine making it to Boston, even as a charity runner, and then just saying 'oh, it's going to be hot, ok I'll try again next year ...' and walking away. It would take a lot of heart searching and serious thought to make that decision. Add in the bills for 2012 travel plus 2013 registration (no refunds or free registration for next year) and travel next year. I think anyone who does defer would have thought it through and have a good reason for doing so! Having said that my one friend, who injured last year and went to the race with her friends who had qualified (as she said, the hotel was pre paid why waste it), is wishing last year were this year! She could have picked up her registration, taken the deferment, and had a guaranteed entry for 2013 whereas last year she was just out unless she ran a time that qualified for the 2012 race (she didn't bother trying, concentrated on recovery instead). If you injure out and can't enter you have no deferment option unless you went to Boston anyway and pick up your race kit (which you could now do if you are there). I can see a few people being a bit annoyed over that one ...

Return to “General Running Discussion”