Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby rdmsgirl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:25 am

jes wrote:But having a running stroller gives you the OPTION to go out with baby, even if it isn't your favourite thing.

Bob all the way over here. It's been our only stroller and I love it. We used it for everything. (except for vacation, we did buy a $15 cheapo for that 'cause the bob took up too much room with our luggage).

Sounds like I'll be test driving a BOB. I agree that running with a stroller may not be my thing (and LO will be too young for me to actually run our first race) but I already have a lightweight stroller that folds like a dream and fits in the trunk of my small car. I've taken it out all of once this winter on a fairly dry day and the salt on the sidewalks was giving us grief! :shock: So that will be my mall/travel stroller and I plan to keep a larger stroller in the garage.

Does anyone have a Baby Jogger?
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 am

We have the baby jogger which is great for running, but if I were to do it again, I would probably get the bob as it seems more versatile. My running stroller is only good for running - it doesn't fold down so it doesn't fit into the car nicely. It was a gift so I'm glad that I have it, but I would go with the bob instead given the choice.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 am

We were given a single chariot, then we bought a double MEC running stroller after #2. Both were good and very stable/sturdy, but too big (esp. the double!) for anything else but running. They both folded down, but was still pretty tough to wrestle them in and out of a car.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:17 am

rdmsgirl wrote:
jes wrote:But having a running stroller gives you the OPTION to go out with baby, even if it isn't your favourite thing.

Bob all the way over here. It's been our only stroller and I love it. We used it for everything. (except for vacation, we did buy a $15 cheapo for that 'cause the bob took up too much room with our luggage).

Sounds like I'll be test driving a BOB. I agree that running with a stroller may not be my thing (and LO will be too young for me to actually run our first race) but I already have a lightweight stroller that folds like a dream and fits in the trunk of my small car. I've taken it out all of once this winter on a fairly dry day and the salt on the sidewalks was giving us grief! :shock: So that will be my mall/travel stroller and I plan to keep a larger stroller in the garage.

Does anyone have a Baby Jogger?

Sorry, I posted my reply before I saw your question. If you already have an "everyday" stroller that you like, and don't need the running stroller for anything other than running, I recommend it. Looking at the website, it looks like I have the older version of the FIT. Mine doesn't fold but it looks like the newer version does. The new version looks a lot like the bob! I've been really happy with it - good quality, easy to push, I used it in the fall with my 2 year old and it's still great. Once the weather is nicer again I plan to use it again. I like having the option of running with the stroller. It took a lot of getting used to, but I used it a lot with baby #1.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 pm

I have a Bumbleride Indie. It folds nicely, but doesn't fit well in a small vehicle (I can get it in my mom's Sunfire, but just). It's my everything stroller, and great for running.

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:08 am

Kristi wrote:We have the baby jogger which is great for running, but if I were to do it again, I would probably get the bob as it seems more versatile. My running stroller is only good for running - it doesn't fold down so it doesn't fit into the car nicely. It was a gift so I'm glad that I have it, but I would go with the bob instead given the choice.

Baby Jogger is releasing a new model in March - The Summit X3. According to what I've seen, it is less wide , and has a lever at the top of the stroller to convert the front wheel from pivoting to fixed. I am likely going to wait until this model comes out to compare it side by side to the BOB. I like the fold on the Baby Jogger more, but BOB is so highly regarded. Agh I think I have spent more time researching strollers than researching having a baby!!!

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 pm

There was a used Bob at the Orleans Boomerang yesterday....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Irongirl wrote:There was a used Bob at the Orleans Boomerang yesterday....

Thanks - I'll go check it out if I'm out in the East end :D

Oops - sold yesterday. It was the CE not the SE. Since it appears that these babies have such a high resale value, I'll probably stick to buying a new one :D

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 pm

rdmsgirl wrote:

Oops - sold yesterday. It was the CE not the SE. Since it appears that these babies have such a high resale value, I'll probably stick to buying a new one :D

Congrats on the baby!

And good to know on the BOB re-sale...I have one that I should probably "re-sell" sometime soon. How long has everyone used their's for? Just wondering, as we've really only ever used it for forced stroller runs. LO has pretty much walked everywhere since she could. THinking I won't get her in it for runs for me much longer.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:36 pm

AndyM wrote:
rdmsgirl wrote:

Congrats on the baby!

And good to know on the BOB re-sale...I have one that I should probably "re-sell" sometime soon. How long has everyone used their's for? Just wondering, as we've really only ever used it for forced stroller runs. LO has pretty much walked everywhere since she could. THinking I won't get her in it for runs for me much longer.

I got rid of mine last summer. I figure a very large 4 year old doesn't need a stroller and he was riding a bike all summer. Now my nephew gets to use it in New Brunswick to ride over all the snow. I think in the end we used it for just over 3 years.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Tori wrote:
AndyM wrote:
rdmsgirl wrote:

Congrats on the baby!

I got rid of mine last summer. I figure a very large 4 year old doesn't need a stroller and he was riding a bike all summer. Now my nephew gets to use it in New Brunswick to ride over all the snow. I think in the end we used it for just over 3 years.

I was hoping you would chime in. Yah...should probably sell mine. Amelia is little and fits in it no problem at all (I think they go to 70lbs or something ridiculous) but I can't imagine her wanting to sit in it so that I can get my run in. She never really did for many runs anyway. So, how long until she can ride a bike fast enough to keep up with me? :wink:

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:57 pm

AndyM wrote:So, how long until she can ride a bike fast enough to keep up with me? :wink:

The peanut gallery over here says 20 years :lol:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Jpod
Percy Williams

Postby Jpod » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the board and thought I'd say hello. I'm not new to running or being a mom though... currently pregnant and have a 5 year old. I've run most of my life.

I just noticed the talk about strollers and wanted chime in that I LOVE my BOB so far. I've owned 3 others so far with my first kid but bought a BOB this time for upcoming baby. I can plop the baby carrier right in there and go :) pretty excited to see it in action. My five year test rode and gave his approval, but he doesn't really fit so we'll see how it works with a baby...

Also, I'm curious, did many of you moms run while still pregnant? My first pregnancy all I did was walk, but this time I've been doing a mix of running and biking. I'm seven months now and turned to the internet cause I'm starting to get self conscious about looking pregnant while running. Sounds silly now when I type it!

I'm also curious to hear about people whose kids bike while they run. We just bought our son a bike for his 5th birthday last week, but to be honest I can't see him keeping up anytime soon. He gets distracted talking a lot, forgets to pedal, and falls over!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:35 pm

welcome!

I ran through my second pregnancy up to about 33 weeks or so. I mainly stopped because I didn't want to buy winter maternity running gear!

What people think when they see you running is their own problem - as long as you feel fine - run on! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jpod
Percy Williams

Postby Jpod » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks! It's great to hear from someone who has run while pregnant! I don't know why I'm so self conscious about it. I guess because even when doing regular things, family members are very "judge-y". I reached up to a high cupboard to get a glass and was told by my MIL "pregnant women aren't allowed to reach." ... ... ... :what:

I might try to find a more private trail to minimize my self consciousness attitude.

How did you find being pregnant affected your running? I've find I've slowed down and take it pretty easy now. I'm usually a bit of a race horse and push myself a lot, but now I'm running just for the sake of running.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:48 pm

I had to stop running while pregnant, because my round ligament pain got too bad while running. I stopped around 20 weeks, but I hadn't been running much since I was so sick. If you can still run, that is awesome!!

The reaching is an old wives' tale. The tale is, if you put your hands over your head, it restricts the umbilical cord. I'd say hogwash!

7 months now...so due in May?? Congratulations and welcome :)

Jpod
Percy Williams

Postby Jpod » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 am

FishPants wrote:I had to stop running while pregnant, because my round ligament pain got too bad while running. I stopped around 20 weeks, but I hadn't been running much since I was so sick. If you can still run, that is awesome!!

The reaching is an old wives' tale. The tale is, if you put your hands over your head, it restricts the umbilical cord. I'd say hogwash!

Yes May, and thank you! That must have been rough, having to give up running at week 20. I don't know how I'd survive all the hormones if I couldn't keep going. I don't know how my husband would survive my hormones either :lol:

I'm curious how the rest of you moms get your running time in. Do you prefer to use running strollers, babysitters, or family members? Or maybe run at work? I always found it more difficult to run with my son in the picture. I managed to do a couple of races, but nothing like before... sometimes I was grateful to find time even for 5km!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:26 am

Welcome and congratulations!

With my first I did a lot of running with the stroller because he wouldn't sleep and there was nothing better to do at 6am. I also have a treadmill and I used it a lot. I would run while the littles played or even watched a show on TV. I also had no shame in running as soon as DH came home from work or if there was someone who watched the kids. I trained for an Ironman and had a lot of family support to get me there. Again. no shame. :lol:

As for running while pregnant, don't hide! Show off your healthy lifestyle! I had visions of running through pregnancy, my cute little belly out in front, ponytail perky. In reality I never had the little belly, but sore hips and abs. Go for it. On the flip side, I can remember the shocked looks I was getting when I walked the Sun Run 6 months pregnant but looked full term. I had colourful explanations for the nay sayers. :wink: With my lasst two, I was fit up until my last week teaching spin and circuit fitness classes, and could still do a few burpees.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:52 am

Jpod wrote:
FishPants wrote:I had to stop running while pregnant, because my round ligament pain got too bad while running. I stopped around 20 weeks, but I hadn't been running much since I was so sick. If you can still run, that is awesome!!

Yes May, and thank you! That must have been rough, having to give up running at week 20. I don't know how I'd survive all the hormones if I couldn't keep going. I don't know how my husband would survive my hormones either :lol:

I'm curious how the rest of you moms get your running time in. Do you prefer to use running strollers, babysitters, or family members? Or maybe run at work? I always found it more difficult to run with my son in the picture. I managed to do a couple of races, but nothing like before... sometimes I was grateful to find time even for 5km!

I am very lucky to have an extremely patient husband!!

When I just had the two, I would often get my runs in when my older son was in preschool, I would either put the younger in the childcare at the facility, or run with him in the stroller on the track. I also did a lot of "tradsies" with my SIL - she would watch my kids while I ran, and vice versa. And I did a bunch of runs at weird times, just to fit them in (such as 9 pm at night, after bedtime).

I don't know how it's going to work with 3 (I'm due in 3 weeks), but I will figure it out. I have no plans to start running until I am at least 12 weeks post partum. But I miss it.

May is a great baby month! My extremely patient husband is a May baby :)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 am

IronColl wrote: With my lasst two, I was fit up until my last week teaching spin and circuit fitness classes, and could still do a few burpees.

Ya!, but your name is EvilColl and you would do burpees just because. :lol:

Habs ducking out now......
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 am

Jpod wrote:

I will chime in here, even thought my kids are now teenagers (16-year-old girl, 13-year-old boy). :)

I also didn't run late in my pregnancies, but I wasn't as much of a "regular" runner before I got pregnant anyway- more of a general fitness person. So I kept active using the upright stationary bike at the gym and lots of walking. Back in the day, I was told that outdoor cycling was not recommended in the later months because of body weight shifts, pressure on the abdomen, and risk of falling. Is advice outdated now too? I remember finding it didn't take nearly as much effort to get my heart rate up on the stationary bike, but I loved it for keeping active. You definitely will find that your paces while running will be slower for the same effort. Even walking was uncomfortable at the end of pregnancy #2, though, since the baby dropped early and pushed down on my pelvic bones. Some women can go longer, but you can't fight your body sometimes.

As for childcare- when the kids were small I relied a lot on the childminding at my gym, as well as support from my husband on weekends and some evenings. We don't have any family in town, and I never paid babysitters at the house to go for a run or exercise but I think I should have. :) A jogging stroller if good if you only have one kid to take around, and I sometimes used that with my son when my daughter was in preschool. I would have loved to have a treadmill at home, but we don't have the space.

And welcome to Runningmania!
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Chiming in to say welcome to Jpod as well!

Ironcoll, you made me laugh with this comment "I had visions of running through pregnancy, my cute little belly out in front, ponytail perky." :lol: Same here, but I only made it to 20 weeks pregnant running when I still didn't even have a belly much at all but really sore hips/hip flexors/ab muscles. I did however manage to stay active with gym workouts the whole pregnancy.

Fitting it all in, yaaaaaaah.... it sucks sometimes but I make it work. I sometimes run at lunch at work, sometimes after my (almost) 3 yr old goes to bed on TM (which is later and later it seems), occaisionally I will put on a video for her so I can do a quick 5-6K. I am also separated from her dad and she goes with him every Wednesday and every second weekend...at those times I fit in as much activity as I can! For me, it's about being flexible.

Good luck with continuing to run through your pregnancy. Sounds like you are doing great!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm

On a non-running-with-child note....I mildly sprained my ankle yesterday AND I have a wonky knee that's acting up and I"m bummed. Training for ATB has been going super awesome up until now. Complaining over. :(

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:12 pm

AndyM wrote:On a non-running-with-child note....I mildly sprained my ankle yesterday AND I have a wonky knee that's acting up and I"m bummed. Training for ATB has been going super awesome up until now. Complaining over. :(

Oh no Ms. Speedy! Can you get some cold laser on it? That always seems to speed up the healing for me when I sprain my ankles on a regular basis.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Fitting it in seems to be the million dollar question!

I've always been an early morning runner - I much much prefer it to evening running, so I do what I can to keep that up. I love the idea of running at lunch, but job is too crazy and unpredictable to be able to count on getting out, and I hate having a scheduled workout get bumped. During the week, I get up before rest of the family, and sneak out to fit in a quick run. It means being dedicated to going to bed early for sure. For weekend long runs, I also start early, so that I can be back in time to have some family time. No more wake up whenever, and head out for leisurely runs mid-morning. As soon as I'm done, I'm hopping back in the car and scooting home. Thankfully, I have some early bird friends who don't mind starting weekend runs in the dark.

My DH also has to travel a fair bit for work - on those days, I'm very grateful for my treadmill - I usually try and get up before my daughter does. I also use the stroller fairly often for shorter runs, though not in the winter. Right now, she's at that age where she's a bit too young to play alone for very long (and be trusted not to try and touch the treadmill!) but too old to keep contained in the bouncy seat like I did when she was a baby!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “The Scenic Route”