Bellville Dash at Dusk 8 km

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Bellville Dash at Dusk 8 km

Postby AirForceRunner » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 pm

This was a race I found online a couple of days ago and said 'what the heck', its only 60 km away. I am so happy I ran this...not because of time or result, but because this has to be the most beautiful course I have run. The entire race is on paved running trails along the lake through a beautifully groomed park area. Absolutely stunning.
The race...there was a 4 km and an 8 km running together. I had a plan to go out at 4:30 km pace for the first 4 km, and 4:00 for the second 4 km, as it was hot and humid (+32 humidex). It didn't work out that way, but this was still the most comfortable race I've run in awhile. Right at the start, I let the gazelles tear off, and tried to stay back, but early race enthusiasm makes it hard, as my splits below will tell. After the first 4 km loop, I figured there were about 7 guys in front of me, but a young kid on the path told me I was in 3rd. Turns out the gazelles were running the 4 km. Suddenly, the guy 50 metres in front of me became my top priority. I slowly closed the gap, and when I saw him grab a cup from the last water station, I pounced, knowing his breathing would be off a little while. Once I got past him, I stretched the lead to roughly 100 metres, finishing 2nd overall in 34:12. I wonder if I hadn't been such a jokester if I would have gotten under 34. The race director was standing 200 metres from the finish, cheering us on, so when I came to her, I stopped for a moment and said "I'm too tired to finish, I'm going back the way I came". You should have seen the look on her face. It was great! :lol:
All in all, I highly recommend this race...its simply a gorgeous course.
Splits
4:03
4:09
4:13
4:21
4:23
4:19
4:25
4:18
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:09 am

Great report.
Have to put this on the radar for next year.
Yes...being a jokester may have cost you the sub 34:00 :twisted: :wink:

But...you are a speedster :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:12 am

Great report... wow you're speedy! :D
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:29 am

:shock: Ackkk !!! another race :shock: :shock:

Totally awesome race, dude ... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Andy,
Yes, perhaps I've run a few too many races already, but theres this strange compulsion I have that won't let me pass up a race if its close by. And heck, someone has to try and keep up with your torrid pace :lol: Mind you, my races are quick and painless. How you do all these marathons is beyond me.

Jo-Jo,
Thats 2 of the last 3 races I've ended up joking around during the race (once caught on camera) :oops:
I've really gotta stop that.

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:36 pm

Good run. Nice pacing - bit faster at the start and pretty darn even for the rest of the way.

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Great report and a very fast race.
I think that once you start enjoying the races, the"strange compulsion" becomes part of your normal being!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 am

Well, I've always enjoyed the races, but my wife thinks I'm nuts to actually pay to go for a run when I can just step out the front door and do it for free. But thats a whole other topic in and of itself, which I think has been tackled in a previous thread. :wink:

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler

-Jack Kerouac

-Smack

Cathy
Johnny Miles

Postby Cathy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:35 pm

WOW,
Can I ride on your back your next race.
I want to feel how fast that is.

Awesome race.

candlerun
Bruce Kidd

Postby candlerun » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Sweet run! I just LOVE the comment at the end... :lol:
Hypohalf - Check
Sask Half Marathon - PB 2:23:09
Bridge City Boogie 5k - 33:19 and a broken leg...
Mogathon 5k (in wheelchair) - Had a Blast!
Queen City Half Marathon
Nike Womens Half Marathon - in memory of my Grandma, MIL Natalie, my cousin Gary, many others, and most recently my Uncle Allan and my Great Uncle Paul.
Wishes
Edmonton Derby Half - not going to happen due to break
To sign up for a few smaller ones along the way - maybe some late fall small ones

The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start. ~John Bingham

cgraham
Bill Crothers

Postby cgraham » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:58 pm

Nice job. Second place is pretty darn good for a race you weren't taking seriously. Congrats.
2009 Highlights
Marathon - 2:54:05 (Mar 22 - Tokyo)
Half - 1:20:00 (Apr 26 - Hartwell)
5k - 17:09 (Acura 5k - Jul 19)
800m - 2:16.80 (York U - Jul 28 )
Now - Getting back my running fitness
My training log

Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!

"There are two types of injuries that we older runners get: those that we can run with and those that we can't. And if you're over 30 and don't have one or the other, you aren't training hard enough." - Younger Legs blog

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:17 pm

AirForceRunner....you certainly are speedy! Congrats on a great race.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:07 pm

You ARE fast! Way to show those Belleville runners! Just kidding :lol: , as we run in some of their races and they tend to be faster than us.

This would have been a fun one for us to do, however we had to get up at 5 a.m. to do the Toad practice run. But I will keep it in mind for the future.
Jane

Hermes
Bill Crothers

Postby Hermes » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:09 am

Dashing all the way ~~ Well done!! Who says racing is no joking matter? :wink:

Congrats on 2nd placE!

bicycle.boy
Bill Crothers

Re: Bellville Dash at Dusk 8 km

Postby bicycle.boy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 pm

AirForceRunner wrote:The race director was standing 200 metres from the finish, cheering us on, so when I came to her, I stopped for a moment and said "I'm too tired to finish, I'm going back the way I came". You should have seen the look on her face. It was great! :lol:

It's moments like these that I live for. Sure, I could run out the front door just like you, but at racing... guys like us have an audience! :-D Congrats on a very speedy run, and for keeping your good humour about you.
2008 season by: Euro-Sports.ca
2009 season powered by: sugar and adrenaline

Cabot Trail Relay Race - Leg 9 (17.84k) 1:30:56 (5:06 min/km avg)
Not Since Moses (10k) - 50:16 (5:02 min/km avg)
Rum Runners Relay Leg 4 (16.9K) - 1:14:32 (4:25 min/km avg)
Valley Harvest Marathon (42.2k) - 3:12:16 (4:33 min/km avg)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”