Guelph Triathlon - which event - Tri-A Tri or Sprint

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Guelph Triathlon - which event - Tri-A Tri or Sprint

Postby casual-runner » Mon May 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Which event to choose in the Guelph Triathlon on June 23rd?
There are two races I am considering:
# Try-A-Triathlon - Swim 375m, Bike 10km, Run 2.5km
# Sprint Triathlon - Swim 750m, Bike 19km, Run 5km

I would like to have good time there, but I would also like to have a nice challenge. I am thinking to register for the Sprint. I wonder if the Sprint isn't out of my class totally. I know from the forum that in the Try-A Triathlon there are people who just learned to swim or will cycle on a mountain bike. But I don't know much about the Sprint, I like competition, but wouldn't like to find out during the race that it was out of my league. I don't mind to be the last, but don't want to arrive to the finish an hour behind others.

Here some background:
I am new to running - results in my signature, never done triathlon or formal cycling or swimming events. I have been cycling for 5 years more or less regularly during the warm months, last year I did 3075 km, Average speed 32 km. So far this year 660 km inside and 220 km outside.
I didn't swim a lot lately, but I shouldn't have problems to make 750 meters in a 'decent' time ( True is I don't know what is a decent time in Sprint or Tri-A Tri swimming).

Wetsuit questions:
From your own experience is it important to have a wetsuit to
- deal with water temperature at this time of year in Guelph
- improve time by 'floating' effect ( how big is such improvement?)
Where can I rent a wetsuit? I live in Burlington ( so interested in places as Hamilton, Oakville, Mississauga and eventually Toronto)

Thanks
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue May 15, 2007 5:46 am

Cycling average speed 32 kph and 5k pb 22:16 and you are worried about being last?

Take a look at last years results. You don't slow down that much when combining sports.

http://www.sportstats.ca/display-result ... code=40553

Do the sprint.

The wetsuit helps, but you don't have to have one. It helps weak swimmers more than strong ones. Water temperature isn't all that much of a factor at Guelph Lake.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Tue May 15, 2007 5:59 am

My one and only Tri (Try-a-Tri) was Guelph Lake in June. No wetsuit was needed.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 15, 2007 6:42 am

Judging from your bike and run abilities, I think you would be more than fine for the sprint. In terms of swimming, it might be worth getting out and doing some open water swimming to see how you feel.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Tue May 15, 2007 12:24 pm

Thank You all for advice.

I am not ready for open water swimming yet. I went to the pool during my lunch break today for a lane swim. Last time I did it was many months ago. I was surprised. I don't have endurance in the water at all. I was able to swim for 15 minutes alternating crawl and breaststroke (to get some rest). Then I went to practice some basics. So I think that swimming would be my really weak link.

I have checked the results it was a diversified group participating last year.
I decided to register for Sprint and work at least 2 times a week to improve my swimming.

----

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue May 15, 2007 12:31 pm

Diversified group - that is a nice way of putting it. ;)

Your plan sounds pretty good. People have been known to breakstroke the whole swim. Even in Ironman. Crawl is faster, though.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

gwnorth
Bill Crothers

Re: Guelph Triathlon - which event - Tri-A Tri or Sprint

Postby gwnorth » Tue May 15, 2007 2:40 pm

casual-runner wrote:Where can I rent a wetsuit? I live in Burlington ( so interested in places as Hamilton, Oakville, Mississauga and eventually Toronto)

Thanks

In Mississauga there is Swim and Sports on Tomken. They are renting Blue Seventy this year.
Last edited by gwnorth on Tue May 15, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
María

Burlington Chilly 1/2 - Done
ATB 30k - Done
Mississauga 1/2 - Done
C3 Caledon Sprint Tri - Done
Guelph Lake I Sprint Tri - Done

TriJenn
Bill Crothers

Postby TriJenn » Tue May 15, 2007 3:25 pm

casual-runner wrote:Thank You all for advice.

I am not ready for open water swimming yet. I went to the pool during my lunch break today for a lane swim. Last time I did it was many months ago. I was surprised. I don't have endurance in the water at all. I was able to swim for 15 minutes alternating crawl and breaststroke (to get some rest). Then I went to practice some basics. So I think that swimming would be my really weak link.

I have checked the results it was a diversified group participating last year.
I decided to register for Sprint and work at least 2 times a week to improve my swimming.

Your swimming will improve quickly- at least the cardiovascular part. You'll be great!

The wetsuit will help with speed, I know I swim more relaxed with one since I don't have to worry about kicking to keep my legs up, and I can concentrate on a nice pull. I also like the fact that you simply cannot drown in one :)

There has gotta be a place that rents in the area. Check the website for the event- they may have some info on that- or would know someone who would.

Go!
TriJenn
Starbucks Coffee Cup Wisdom
“The irony of commitment is that it’s deeply liberating – in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life”

gwnorth
Bill Crothers

Postby gwnorth » Tue May 15, 2007 3:45 pm

Also the Waterdown Runner's Den has a tri club. You could try contacting them to see if they know of a place locally that rents - (905) 690-4004. Foot Tools in Burlington does wetsuit sales, but I don't know if they rent.
María

Burlington Chilly 1/2 - Done

ATB 30k - Done

Mississauga 1/2 - Done

C3 Caledon Sprint Tri - Done

Guelph Lake I Sprint Tri - Done

Cattitude
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cattitude » Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Foottools in Burlington does rent, I rented from them my first year.

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Thu May 17, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks, everyone again.
I went to FootTools in Burlington. I did try a triathlon outfit. I booked it for my Sprint event. I will be able to get it from the store on Thursday before my Saturday Tri. I will get some practice swimming in it. Great support from the store staff.

----

Return to “The Dark Side”