Disney 2007 - Anyone interested [re-posting]

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ShinSplints
Bill Crothers

Disney 2007 - Anyone interested [re-posting]

Postby ShinSplints » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:50 pm

I thought I'll resurrect this in case anyone is interested but missed the old post from Dec/06.

UPDATES:
- Registration is open for the half, full, and the Goofy.
- Booking a package on site at Disney is not yet available for 2007 BUT should become available soon (one can leave a deposit to reserve your package and pay rest later in the year).
- I can do half marathons now... I'm getting there.

Running Maniacs Interested (perhaps people can add their names so we have an idea of who is interested):
1. ShinsSplints (Ian) - Registered already, just need to book accomm and save $.

-----Below Copied from an old post --------
Is anyone interested in going to the 2007 DISNEY MARATHON (Orlando, Florida) in JANUARY 2007? :idea:
You get to run through ALL four major theme parks! I figure I better post this now to give people plenty of time to think about it, to save their loonies, or ask Santa for a nice gift.

DATES:
Full Marathon is on Sunday, January 7, 2007.
Half Marathon is on Saturday, January 6, 2007.
According to 2006 info, full marathon finishers get a MICKEY medal, half marathon finishers get a DONALD medal, and anyone completing BOTH RACES gets both medals plus an additional medal of GOOFY!!! :shock:
REGISTRATION: Registration for 2007 race opens on Monday, January 9, 2006. CAUTION: Entry limit fills up fast :!: . Just not sure how fast is fast but in August/05 the 2006 race was full (it may have filled up earlier; but when I do not know). You may have to decide at entry time if you wish to do Full Marathon, Half Marathon, or the GOOFY Challenge.
TEAM(s): Team(s) of 3, 4, or 5 people can be formed if people are interested (according to 2006 guidelines). They require that each person must register individually prior to being on a team. Teams are not relay teams so each person runs the whole distance (no piggy backing another runner). I figure teams can be decided later after we know who is going.
EXPO & DISNEY: There will likely be a running expo since there is one for 2006. And I would think people would want to check out Disney or other nearby attractions while there. fyi The Florida Disney site is the bigger than the California Disney site. Also, the German restaurant at Epcot has awesome beer. :D :? :lol:
ACCOMMODATIONS: We'll see if people want to stay at the same hotel (so that the smiling 'Goofy' runners can be carried back :roll: ). But not sure if things get booked up fast during the Marathon weekend. :!:

I can't believe I'm asking this since I have yet to do a half marathon or marathon yet, but I'm getting up there and its MY BIG RUNNING GOAL! :D
-Ian (a.k.a. Shin Splints)
Don't Limit Your Challenges.....Challenge Your Limits
Next races:
Just running around the neighborhood playground...

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:53 pm

Heather and I are registered for the half, along with about seven or eight other running friends from here. They are running various events ranging from the half, the full, to the goofy. Our friend has a timeshare down there and she is arranging the accommodations for us - all of us sharing some kind of large unit. It will be party time on the Sunday evening!!
Jane

CdnMarathonGirl
Tom Longboat

Postby CdnMarathonGirl » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:13 pm

FYI - I went this year and the best deal for air/hotel was with Southwest Vacations. I flew out of Buffalo on the Friday morning, back on the Monday afternoon. Stayed onsite at the PopCentury All included was around $500 cdn. Cheaper than booking through Disney. Note: Southwest doesn't open booking until 3 months before.

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:16 pm

We went to Disney on vacation this year, and were there for the marathon weekend. (no, I was not running) My husband, in his infinite wisdom :roll: :roll: has decided that he wants to go BACK to Disney in January 2007, which leaves me seriously considering whether or not we should time it so that I could run the 1/2. It may not work out, as I think we would go the first week of January, and I'm not sure that I would be able to run a 1/2 after a week on my feet touring Disney. But I'm still going to think about it! :wink:

Of course, this assumes that I don't manage to talk my husband out of this idea. I think we should wait a couple of years! ('cause it may take me that long to lose the weight that I gained while we were there!!!! :evil: :shock: :evil: :oops: )

Heather

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:57 am

Had originally planned to do this but could not get enough enthusiastic response from family or friends so i guess it is on the back burner.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

Reservoir_Dog
Tom Longboat

Postby Reservoir_Dog » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:44 pm

I’ve been rolling around the idea of running the Goofy.:shock:

The Glenmore RR is doing a clinic for it.
Do you want to run with the big DOGS, or would you rather sit on the porch?

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:58 pm

I'll get back to you.

Running the goofy has a strange appeal to it. :shock:
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:31 pm

gjennifer wrote:I'll get back to you.

Running the goofy has a strange appeal to it. :shock:

:shock: :shock: Ok, I can tell you that I had the utmost admiration for those runners wandering around on Sunday with their Goofy medal! I was in awe! (and when the wear the Goofy and the Mickey... they make a really cool clanging sound...)

ShinSplints
Bill Crothers

Postby ShinSplints » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:41 pm

hmacdonald wrote:and when the wear the Goofy and the Mickey... they make a really cool clanging sound...)

Like Cow Bells???
Don't Limit Your Challenges.....Challenge Your Limits
Next races:
Just running around the neighborhood playground...

CdnMarathonGirl
Tom Longboat

Postby CdnMarathonGirl » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:47 am

ShinSplints wrote:
hmacdonald wrote:and when the wear the Goofy and the Mickey... they make a really cool clanging sound...)

Like Cow Bells???

Yes, they did sound like that . It was very heavy to wear all three, but after all of that running, there was no way that I was taking them off. As for training for the Goofy, the only thing that I changed from the Marathon training schedule, is to add a long run on Saturday that was about 1/2 the distance of the Sunday run - and run it really slow (ie: 1 min/km slower than Sunday). I did this for the last 8 weeks of training.

hmacdonald
Bill Crothers

Postby hmacdonald » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:29 pm

I know that the races fill up quickly, but does anyone know how quickly? I'm very seriously considering the 1/2 at this point. I don't think I'm going to talk my husband out of going back to Disney again this year (yes, I know it's nuts... but he has some valid points... i.e. he will still have a year left on his contract, and our parents are still relatively healthy, so we shouldn't have to worry about being away and them being ill, etc, etc, etc )

So... really strongly considering the 1/2! :shock:

Heather

Return to “General Running Discussion”