Ironman Canada Sunday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Ironman Canada Sunday

Postby Stampie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:35 am

Best of luck to all the maniacs competing later today!

Planned rest day for me today. Off to the beach with the family later today.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Re: Ironman Canada Sunday

Postby trixiee » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:59 am

Yes! All the best today IronCarla and IronCol!
Heading out for 60-ish on my bike...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:43 am

All the best today IronCarla and IronCol!
ditto
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Sustain26
Johnny Miles

Postby Sustain26 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:02 am

Too tired to post yesterday - had the most successful Rogaine to date. Race report to follow in the appropriate section in a few days, after the stats and pics are posted. Go Ironpeople!
During any successful session, one might and should have a moment of truth, "should I continue or just walk home?". If you don't break down, the same thing might happen a few hundred steps later, but you already dealt with that issue. This usually happens in the second half, anyways. The satisfaction one derives later, when at home, is extremely gratifying, and is a build up like no other to further efforts.
(The "Lord, have mercy!" anecdote.)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32 am

Go IMC racers!!!!

Just under 7 km with the stroller this morning - warm already.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:43 am

Slept in this morning, so did not make it out for the downtow / canal run ... :( :( So, ended up with a 10.5K / 50 minute tempo run in Kanata Lakes ... even at 20C, still felt the heat of the sun ..... gonna be another hot and steamy day into the mid-30s today ... 8)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:51 am

Waiting for it to lighten up here on the Westcoast. Once that happens I have my last long ride before the GranFondo in 2 weeks. So 135km are planned around beautiful Victoria.
IMC 2015

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 am

Just got back from doing 24K. It was nice and cool for the first few km, but warmed up pretty quickly.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:19 am

32 km for me this morning, the last 14 km with the Chariot.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:20 am

Oy!

26K in the heat! This included a couple of water bottle refill stops, but I actually think I'm becoming somewhat acclimated! I actually ended up with a negative split for the run.

26K @6:14 m/k
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:56 am

wow, I am wiped out from mtb yesterday!! My whole body is sore... and my legs are not happy with me. :P

I am still going to attempt a run today, but I'm not sure how long I will last! tbd.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:09 am

8km run that included running around RMC point and up Fort Henry Hill.
Very hot and muggy out. C-Moss heads off to the groomer's for a bath soon. She stinks like an old hound dog :lol: :lol:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jump145
Bruce Kidd

Postby Jump145 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:59 am

6k this morning, PNE today and lacrosse tonight should leave me sufficiently hurting to go back to work tomorrow. :lol:
No Penguins were harmed in the making of this post

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:49 am

Yes, a day of tracking Ironpeople! Although with the three hour time difference I may not know at least one result before tomorrow morning. Go racers go!

In the interest of avoiding the heat and the sun, I did my weekend long run last night. 31 km. It was supposed to be 32, but I underestimated the distance from the gates of the spit to home, and was too miserable to make it up near the end. Not sure what was going on, but I had horrible stomach cramps. They started about 15 km, fairly minor, but by about 22 km my whole abdomen was tight/sore and every step was awful. I made the "just one more step" deal with myself for most of the 3 km to the 25 km point, which was the gates of the spit, with the promise that I could walk home from there (or even catch TTC if it was really that bad). Ended up walking about a half kilometre and then doing a (slow) run with some walk breaks for the rest of the way. After I got home it was over an hour before I was recovered enough to eat anything, and I've been fine since, so WTH?

(Self pity coming up...) I don't know, at the moment I just feel so discouraged about my running. It's been ages since I've had a really good long run - have put in the distance but it's been slower than I would have liked, or plagued by various GI issues, or just not great in general. Part of it is probably the summer conditions - I am not a warm weather runner at the best of times, and this has been an especially hot and humid summer. It seems that in other years, although the days may have been hot, the early mornings were usually okay. Whereas this year even so many of the early mornings have been miserable. It's only the last couple of weeks where they've felt good, and part of that is just that the sun is coming up later. My stupid injury back in April seems to have led to the loss of far more fitness than I ever expected, since right about the time I was done with the easy recovery running and ready to start ramping up, the summer started and (see above).

Until now I've always been one of those "I love running" people. But right now I'm mostly just forcing myself to run, being surprised and grateful when it feels "normal" instead of like an endurance test, and hoping that things will turn around and I'll love it again. So happy that I have no races on the calendar until NYC, and right now I'm thinking that's going to be "just a run".

Thanks for listening...
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:20 pm

JB, I was feeling that way this spring and early summer too. All I can say is that it will get better. Fall will bring cooler temps and that will feel refreshing. Maybe do something different for a few weeks. :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:27 pm

5k race for me this morning - 23:01, which is a PB for me! Now I'll be stalking IronManiacs for the rest of the day. Go Colleen and Carla!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:28 pm

ultraslacker wrote:wow, I am wiped out from mtb yesterday!! My whole body is sore... and my legs are not happy with me. :P

I am still going to attempt a run today, but I'm not sure how long I will last! tbd.

after I wrote this I went back to bed. :lol: rest day today... will run tomorrow!

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Ironman Canada Sunday

Postby marymac442 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Managed about 7k in 46 min. The group was very indecisive this morning so we ended up scattering in various directions and then rendezvousing for coffee. My quads were pretty trashed after yesterday.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Sustain26
Johnny Miles

Postby Sustain26 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi Jogger Barbie:
What caused the back injury and who is treating you? Maybe a sports doctor who runs is a better choice, if available.
GI problems - diet or other causes?
If you're not running with a smile, you're suffering without a purpose. If your early mornings are miserable, drink some sweetened fruit juice before starting and bring some with you. I feel much better than when starting with nothing in the system after a night's sleep.
Heat and humidity - stay out of the sun and get into the shade. If you have to, change your itinerary completely. Toronto must have running trails in the forested areas?
Sustain (I bonked twice this summer, once it was a mini-bonk (10-15 minutes), the other had me walking home. Patience and humility are your friends.)

Jogger Barbie wrote:snip...

Until now I've always been one of those "I love running" people. But right now I'm mostly just forcing myself to run, being surprised and grateful when it feels "normal" instead of like an endurance test, and hoping that things will turn around and I'll love it again. So happy that I have no races on the calendar until NYC, and right now I'm thinking that's going to be "just a run".

Thanks for listening...
During any successful session, one might and should have a moment of truth, "should I continue or just walk home?". If you don't break down, the same thing might happen a few hundred steps later, but you already dealt with that issue. This usually happens in the second half, anyways. The satisfaction one derives later, when at home, is extremely gratifying, and is a build up like no other to further efforts.
(The "Lord, have mercy!" anecdote.)

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Sustain26 wrote:What caused the back injury and who is treating you? Maybe a sports doctor who runs is a better choice, if available.

Thanks for the comments. It was a knee injury and I was seeing a sports doc, and appear to be fully recovered. But that meant several weeks of not running at all, followed by several more weeks of reduced volume at lower intensity. Took more away than I expected.

GI problems - diet or other causes?

Wish I knew. It's always been my weakest link but until recently I seemed to have mostly figured out what worked (at least on midweek runs). It is very discouraging to have no real clue. In that vein, aside from the fact that I don't like any kind of fruit juice, eating or drinking just before a run is pretty much a gold-plated guarantee that I'll have GI issues. Running on an empty stomach has always worked best for me.

Heat and humidity - stay out of the sun and get into the shade. If you have to, change your itinerary completely. Toronto must have running trails in the forested areas?

There are some trails, I don't know them well, but in any case I just don't feel safe running on trails alone early in the morning. The extra shade on the paved paths does help, and so does running in the evening when the worst of the heat/humidity is over. Or at least there is less direct sun.

Patience and humility are your friends.

True! It's weird to be one of those people who has to force herself out the door. Sure, it happens to all of us occasionally, but I can't remember a time when I've had such a sustained lack of enthusiasm for running. Ultimately, it's just part of life, not to mention a First World Problem. However it works out, it will work out.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:03 pm

I still haven't done my Sunday run yet. :? I got distracted/derailed earlier this morning and by the time I was ready to go, it was too hot/sunny. I wonder if it will be any better at 6PM? Like JB, I just have to be mindful of what I eat this afternoon so that I don't get into trouble later if/when I run.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Rest day for me. Thinking of all the triathletes today!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 pm

Just a warm bike ride this morning. Looking forward to IMC results!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:33 pm

135km done and a wipe out to prove it. OUCH :oops: :shifty:
IMC 2015

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Yikes! Hot and humid again today. Today was my self test for my JFK fitness level. I ran/walked the first part solo into Runner's Choice in Waterloo, added a 35 km run/walk with BumbleG and friends and then ran/walked home. Total time 8 hours 9 minutes and 64.55 kms completed

Return to “General Running Discussion”