How often per week?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:47 am

Spirit Flower wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:I wonder...since i really don't do speed work, maybe that is why I can run every day. In races, I usually have to be satisfied with a 9:30 to 9:40 mile.

Hmm...possibly...or perhaps you have a body who doesn't mind being out there on the roads every day. I do know that after a speed workout my legs are sometimes sore the next day.

Re your race pace:...do you run your races at pretty well the same pace you do your weekly runs at?

I race much faster than my daily runs. Don't know why except maybe Gu hypes me up!

That...and race day adrenalin :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:05 am

I run 7 days per week, with usually 13 runs. I started running year-round in high school (42yrs old now)and have been gradually increasing my mileage since then with the exception of a brief stint of 3-4 years of mid-distance track about 10 years ago.

I've found that my body has held up very well to the mileage and am doing much more now as a master runner compared to when I was younger. The key for me has been to continue to include quality sessions (usually 2x week) to help maintain efficient running form and resist the tempation to plod along. Even though I'm currently racing ultras, I find this very important to continue doing. I don't run flat out 400m repeats in training anymore, but still do a fair amount of 5km race pace intervals and tempo runs. All good.

The main difference that I do find now is that it does seem to take me longer to warmup. Might have something to do with age, but also might have something to do with higher mileage too.

Re: crosstraining. I avoid it as much as possible. A little strength stuff following a run a couple of times per week for core and maybe some single leg squats if noticing any muscle imbalances, but would rather be out there running. Have included upper body strength in the past, but didn't really notice a big difference, except when race mid-distance on track (bodyweight stuff instead of weights seemed to work the best for me). Will stretch some following a run if feel the need, but think it's overrated at times and don't really bother much (though, feel it works well for me after a warmup and before an intense interval workout).

Still having fun and continue to be a 'Running Junkie' after 27 years on the trails. :D
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Nick wrote
How many days a week do you run? What cross-training do you do and how often? Have these numbers or this mix changed as your body has "matured"? Can you tolerate the same physical stress you used to? Has your weekly mileage increased or decreased?

A Wife with a career , 5 Children, 2 Dogs, Grey County rural life style snow, fire wood, more snow , lots more snow and more fire wood then add shift work I am luck to run at all! I average 3-4 runs a week.

Cross-train …sort of , winter alpine ski , summer kayak, winter hockey, summer baseball winter/summer strength training 1or 2 times a week. It only hurts when I stop so keeping active means keeping loose and feeling good!

I am a more capable athlete at 47 then I was at 17,27 or 37. I started the fitness thing at age 40 and took up running at 43. I have never been over weight or inactive but I did have a nasty little smoking habit for a few decades.

Being that I am not a life long runner it’s hard to compare to what I did 20 or 30 years ago. I know that I can do more now because of the running so I would have to say I can tolerate more stress then I used to… all those 2000+ Kms in 08 made a difference.

I am steadily increasing my mileage because I am training to go long. Last year at the peak I was 50K/Week, this summer I wasn’t to go longer so I will have to up it to 60-70K/Week.

HarryJacobs
Johnny Miles

Postby HarryJacobs » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:59 pm

If you are referring to Running, I run 4 days a week and train 2 days a week on Core and stretching. I find I need the extra days to recover from the runs. My runs are at the same pace and duration now as before my injury but I need an extra recovery day.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:51 pm

spaff wrote:I run 7 days per week, with usually 13 runs. I started running year-round in high school (42yrs old now)and have been gradually increasing my mileage since then with the exception of a brief stint of 3-4 years of mid-distance track about 10 years ago.

I've found that my body has held up very well to the mileage and am doing much more now as a master runner compared to when I was younger. The key for me has been to continue to include quality sessions (usually 2x week) to help maintain efficient running form and resist the tempation to plod along. Even though I'm currently racing ultras, I find this very important to continue doing. I don't run flat out 400m repeats in training anymore, but still do a fair amount of 5km race pace intervals and tempo runs. All good.

The main difference that I do find now is that it does seem to take me longer to warmup. Might have something to do with age, but also might have something to do with higher mileage too.

Re: crosstraining. I avoid it as much as possible. A little strength stuff following a run a couple of times per week for core and maybe some single leg squats if noticing any muscle imbalances, but would rather be out there running. Have included upper body strength in the past, but didn't really notice a big difference, except when race mid-distance on track (bodyweight stuff instead of weights seemed to work the best for me). Will stretch some following a run if feel the need, but think it's overrated at times and don't really bother much (though, feel it works well for me after a warmup and before an intense interval workout).

Still having fun and continue to be a 'Running Junkie' after 27 years on the trails. :D

I relate to this.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:41 pm

I run 7 days per week, with usually 13 runs.

I couldn't even consider 1 per day. Looking back over 2007 it was average of 10 days per month and 2008 was 15 days per month.

With an average run of 7 miles I bumped total mileage quite a bit from '07 to '08 and plan to increase in '09 again.

But I doubt I will get much more than 15-20 days per month as the final average.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:17 am

flexrun wrote:I am 43 and have only been running for just over a year. I find that for me 3-4 days is just about right per week and I am training for a marathon. My workouts are speed, tempo and a long run. I am a amputee runner and need the rest days in order not to get injured. Therefore I try to focus on quality instead of quanity. Sometimes more isn't better.

My coach said that since I don't put in a lot of mileage (70-80km at my peak) and I am lucky enough to have the endurance still for the marathon then this will be fine.

My #1 lesson learned is listen to your body :roll: - easier said than done I know. We can be our own worst enemy sometimes! Its a big disappointment to get injured and loose all of your hard earned training!

Man, you're fast. We are the same age and I would like to meet you sometime. Are you doing ATB? I see you are Orillia-way... (Neil and I are in Ottawa.) Thanks! :)
Louise

flexrun
Bruce Kidd

Postby flexrun » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:27 am

ratherBrunning wrote:
flexrun wrote:I am 43 and have only been running for just over a year. I find that for me 3-4 days is just about right per week and I am training for a marathon. My workouts are speed, tempo and a long run. I am a amputee runner and need the rest days in order not to get injured. Therefore I try to focus on quality instead of quanity. Sometimes more isn't better.

My coach said that since I don't put in a lot of mileage (70-80km at my peak) and I am lucky enough to have the endurance still for the marathon then this will be fine.

My #1 lesson learned is listen to your body :roll: - easier said than done I know. We can be our own worst enemy sometimes! Its a big disappointment to get injured and loose all of your hard earned training!

Man, you're fast. We are the same age and I would like to meet you sometime. Are you doing ATB? I see you are Orillia-way... (Neil and I are in Ottawa.) Thanks! :)

I won't be doing ATB because for me its too close to Boston. I will be doing the chilly half in March.

Hopefully we can meet up at a race sometime!
"ian - world record pacer" - Rick Ball
Mississauga Marathon 2008 - BQ 3:17:38
Bread and Honey 15k 2008 - 1:03:51
Ottawa 10k- May 09 - 37:55 WR
Bread and Honey 5k- 17:37 pb
Army Run Sept/ 09 - 1:20:44 WR
Boston -3:01:50 world record single leg amputee
Ottawa May 10,WR 2:57:47
Boiling point, Windsor, July 2011 - 400m 57.73 .

my website

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:41 am

flexrun wrote:
ratherBrunning wrote:

I won't be doing ATB because for me its too close to Boston. I will be doing the chilly half in March.

Hopefully we can meet up at a race sometime!

Yes--Boston in 2010!! Good luck with your upcoming training/races!! :D
Louise

lumpfish
Johnny Miles

Postby lumpfish » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:46 am

I just discovered this thread.... perhaps because I am in denial that I am a Master. Despite being 44, I feel 25.

As to how many times per week I run, it currently ranges between 4 -6. I am in the final stages of training for Boston and am trying to listen to my body as much as possible.

For a while, I was feeling some IT Band tightness and cut down my frequency to 4 runs per week with only one speed workout (tempo or interval) per week to guard against injury. Recently, I have been feeling much better and have upped my speed workouts to two per week (tempo and interval) and I am now running 5 or 6 times a week depending on my life schedule.
What's up?

Boston Marathon

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:32 am

For me it is 3-4 times/week. Any more than that and my body begins to protest, especially if one of those times is speedwork. When training for my Boston Qualifying Marathon I did speedwork/temporun/LSD every week (I also ran a weekly fun run with the local Hash House Harriers here but that was usually on a Sunday afternoon and I called it my 'recovery' run as we only did 3-4 miles).

I find that the achilles acts up if I run more than 4 times/week. Especially now when I add in speedwork. I have to be patient and let it heal up slowly. (that's the toughest part for me)
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:58 pm

I run between 5 and 7 days a week outside with additional treadmill running three or four times a week for speed work. Overall weekly distances vary between 70 and 100 kms. I also walk for crosstraining and enjoyment. I usually manage between 35 and 50 kms of walking a week. Of course I am retired and usually have a midday nap to recharge.

I really must say that I admire and respect all of you who have employment and family responsibilities that eat into your time and energy and yet you still train and race. Well done all of you!!! :lol:

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:04 am

I've been running again for just under a year, having not run since I was in school (I'm 44). I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon and I'm currently running 3 days a week. I may go to the gym for a 20/20/20 class on a 4th day.

My days start at 5:00 am and I get home at 6:00 pm, plus I have a 5 1/2 year old, so that's all the time I can spare right now. My long runs are on Saturdays.

Robin

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I've been running again for just under a year, having not run since I was in school (I'm 44). I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon and I'm currently running 3 days a week. I may go to the gym for a 20/20/20 class on a 4th day.

My days start at 5:00 am and I get home at 6:00 pm, plus I have a 5 1/2 year old, so that's all the time I can spare right now. My long runs are on Saturdays.

Robin

Hey you do what you can and good on ya!!...I've been there with little ones...I started training seriously when my boys were 4 and 6 (that was three days/week for me too)...Creative scheduling was the key :wink:
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Return to “General Running Discussion”