How long have you been running?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:52 am

5.5 years. My first marathon was in October 2004, and I started running almost exactly a year before that--the first semester I was in law school. I lived in San Diego and ran around downtown, Balboa Park, and Festiva Island. Festiva was my favorite running, then biking route since any day of the year you could go for a run with the SD Bay surrounding you, looking up into the hills or out toward the ocean.
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

eljeffe
Bill Crothers

Postby eljeffe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 am

Since 2002.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:45 am

I ran my very first race, Winnipeg Police services Half Marathon, five years ago. Before that I had been running for about four years...I am coming up on my 10 year running anniversary. I don't have the exact time and date, but the year will be good enough for me. Prior to that I had never stuck to any kind of physical activity. (Tried aerobics a number of times but never followed through much more than a couple months at a time. ) Guess the exercise habit never got completely ingrained in me.

Like you Blanken, I started running when I was quite young and ran cross country in school - only because I HAD to...I really wish I had kept it up...but I am pretty happy with "almost ten" :lol:
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:35 pm

I've been running since I was 25 (and learning to speedskate :shock: ) and that was 32 years ago (gulp). But I never ran more than 10k or ran in an event until 2007 when I ran a half marathon.

I think you're awesome Blanken :dance: I love having you on the forum :D
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:47 pm

45 years :D

The last 15 years would be hard to describe as running, more like a painful hobble; still I manage to get over the ground. :D
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Mouse wrote:I've been running since the 60's. I started when I was in Junior High School. I loved Cross Country the most way back then. I ran my first 10 miler in 1969. I was the only female in this event. It is still being run to this day, and is the longest known Road Race in Manitoba. The route has changed over the years. I've been running for 41 years, it should have been 42, but had to take a year off to deal with stupid Cancer.... I have run distances from 200 meters to full marathons. I have many great memories, and many favorite races for various reasons. Thanks for asking this question. Keep going, it does become part of your lifestyle if you let it.....
Mouse

41 years is the longest reported so far! Mouse is CHILL!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

horselady
Bill Crothers

Postby horselady » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:
Mouse wrote:I've been running since the 60's. I started when I was in Junior High School. I loved Cross Country the most way back then. I ran my first 10 miler in 1969. I was the only female in this event. It is still being run to this day, and is the longest known Road Race in Manitoba. The route has changed over the years. I've been running for 41 years, it should have been 42, but had to take a year off to deal with stupid Cancer.... I have run distances from 200 meters to full marathons. I have many great memories, and many favorite races for various reasons. Thanks for asking this question. Keep going, it does become part of your lifestyle if you let it.....
Mouse

Yep Mouse is CHILL!! :D
" The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man" Winston Churchill"
2013 Plans so Far
Princess Half Marathon Orlando Feb 23
Run for the Reach Water StationVolunteer April 14
Spring Fling Running Thing April 21 10k
Gran Fondo Road Race July 20th
Ride the Rideau 100km Sept 8
Army 1/2 Marathon Sept 22
http://ridetherideau.ca/give
Smattering of horse shows

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 pm

horselady wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:
Mouse

Thanks Ladies, but I do believe that I just got beat out by Copus Cani with 45 years......
But it felt great to know that someone thought that I was CHILL!!!
Mouse

The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

Corpus Cani
Tom Longboat

Postby Corpus Cani » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:30 am

Mouse wrote:
horselady wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:
Mouse

Thanks Ladies, but I do believe that I just got beat out by Copus Cani with 45 years......
Mouse

Mouse, I never set to beat you; lets say I'm just a couple of steps in front
of you for now.

Sounds as though you have had an interesting running career. Have you or any of the Mods thought of doing an Q + A type interview with you?
Not the quarry but the chase,
not the trophy but the race.

Mouse
Bill Crothers

Postby Mouse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:12 am

CC
No I haven't, but ask away, and I will answer. I didn't meet beat me per say, but rather that you were out in front of me, by a bit. Congrats on 45 years by the way. I have had a very interesting time between the high school level, track club level, and now an adult running group leve. I also officiate track and field.
Mouse
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. - Mark Twain

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:17 am

I started running in 1997 as a way to get in shape. I did my first 5 km race on Mother's day weekend 1998 in Philly - the Brenda G. Koman breast cancer race.....I believe my time was around 37 minutes :? after that it just sort of stuck as a great way to relieve stress, get/stay healthy.
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:56 am

Corpus Cani wrote:
Mouse wrote:
horselady wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:
Mouse

Mouse

Mouse, I never set to beat you; lets say I'm just a couple of steps in front
of you for now.

Sounds as though you have had an interesting running career. Have you or any of the Mods thought of doing an Q + A type interview with you?

WOW...between the two of you...that's almost 90 years of running :shock:

I think a Q&A interview would be a very cool idea...I'd like one for both of you :D

Heck you're both CHILL (I just had to use my new vocabulary word of the wee :D :wink: )
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:00 am

Jo-Jo wrote:Heck you're both CHILL (I just had to use my new vocabulary word of the wee :D :wink: )

It must have a special pronunciation? Like Chill :) or Chill :eh: or Chill 8) ?
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:54 pm

It occurred to me that my flippant answer would be something like, "feels like it's been forever but that hasn't been long enough". Running is so much a part of my life now that I had to really think hard about the actual dates when it first got to be that way.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

danziggirl
Tom Longboat

Postby danziggirl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Started karate in 2001 and running was part of the warm-up so I started running Sundays. Then entered a 10km run - did a few 10's and in 2004 thought I would try the half. After that my running partner moved to Calgary with the Esso crowd so I wanted to prove to myself I could do it on my own so I signed up for my first marathon 2007 Scotiabank and qualified for Boston which I ran last year.

Keep telling myself I'm getting too old for this (I'm 55 now) but then I sign up for something else.....
Pauline

Boston 2008
10 km 2008 48.39
Scotiabank Marathon 2009 3.56.32 PB + BQ
Half Marathon 2007 1.50.00
5 km 2005 23.42
Around the Bay 2008 2.49.22

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Not very long - since 2006. Hope to keep going until I die 8) .
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Started in 1997 for work (I am in the military) because my boss made me :lol:. Did my first Half Marathon in 2001. Haven't stopped since (slowed down for some injuries).

runnerbee
Percy Williams

Postby runnerbee » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:45 pm

I have been running for about 8 years now. I quit smoking about 10 years ago and in that process gained some more weight I was already overweight. The money that I would have spent on cigarettes I put in a savings account and my dh and I went on a holiday. There were pictures :( I had no idea that I was that heavy! After we got back I went to Weight watchers and lost about 75 lbs, I started going for walks witch turned into runs I am now in better shape than I have ever been. I do still struggle with keeping weight off though and if I do not run for a few days it starts creeping back. So as I have read I run so I can eat! Oh yeh and because it’s my release. It’s the best thing I ever started. :D

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:35 pm

I used to run in school, but that was a long time ago (I'm 44). I started running again last summer, around July/08. Since then I've run 3 5k's, 1 10K and I ran my first 10 miler yesterday. I've been training for my first half marathon which will be in Subury on May 3.

Robin

hoodoo
Tom Longboat

Postby hoodoo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:49 pm

I started running in the late 80's. I would run for a month.. quit for a couple. I was (and still am at times) very inconsistant. In 1996 when I turned 40 I trained for a marathon, got injured and ran a half instead. The training was great. After the half, the first thing I did was grab a beer and a cigarette. (DUMB)..and after that I was even more inconsistent for a few years. In 2000 I quit smoking again, and started running with people from Calgary. 7 out of the last 9 years have been pretty good. however I still need to lose a ton of weight and get faster, but that will happen this year. I run a couple of halfs a year and a few 10Kms.. One of these days.. My " Ray's Wall of Fame" will have a medal from a marathon!
Run for my Dad June 2013
Run for your lungs august
Melissa's 10K
Winterstart

puttputt
Johnny Miles

Postby puttputt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:22 am

I started in 2003. Had the first session of the New Balance Learn to Run clinic the day of the big blackout!

Had my first 5k *race* in 2004 and have now run 5 Half-Marathons. Trying my first 30k this year and maybe, possibly, a full Marathon in 2010.
puttputt --- because that's how I run.

2009 REGISTERED:
Sporting Life 10k - 3 May
Toronto Women's Half-Marathon - 31 May
Acura Ten-Miler - 19 Jul
Midsummer Night's Run 30k - 22 Aug (gulp)

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:19 pm

Started March 1, 1977 Stopped December 1996 - 19 years
Started again December 2005 - still running.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:47 pm

Running fairly regularly since about 1997. Racing since 2002, and I did my first run over 5 or 6 km AND my first marathon in 2002!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

runningwild
Johnny Miles

Postby runningwild » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:55 pm

I ran cross-country in elementary ...does that count? lol ...I've run for fitness since university, and started racing in 2000, so I guess 9 years ...but I took a few years off racing when I had kids in 2003/2004. Thank God I ran my BQ and was able to run the historic route BEFORE I had kids! I'm back into racing but so far I'm running only 10k races and shorter. BUT I'm also doing my first triathlon (sprint) in Muskoka this June!!! Can't wait!
NEXT RACES:
2010 Around the Bay 30K
2010 Muskoka 70.3

Tris in 2009:
Lakeside II Sprint Triathlon September 2009
Toronto Island Sprint (4th AG), August 2009
Niagara Sprint (the beast of the east is an animal!), August 2009
Muskoka Sprint (first ever!), June 2009

Road Race PBs:
5K: 21:37 (Bread 'N Honey 2009)
8K: 38:21 (Rubble Yell #2 2009!)
10K: 45:14 (Sporting Life 10K 2001)
Half Marathon: 1:38:06 (Scotiabank Half 2001)
Marathon: 3:38:10 (Detroit Marathon 2001 - BQ)

gamma j
Bruce Kidd

Postby gamma j » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:04 pm

2002 was my 1st attempt at running. I did the swimming on a triathlon team, sprint distance, & was so inspired that I figured I'd do one by myself... that meant learning to run.

I ran steady for 4 years, completing 2 halfs & 1 full. After experiencing too many of life's setbacks, very sporadic running, & a gain of 20+ lbs!, I'm on the training road again - I've signed up for the 2009 Las Vegas Marathon, hoping that a goal will get me back on track after a far-too-long hiatus.

Jean :D

Return to “General Running Discussion”