Dylan Wykes sees Rio Olympic hopes dashed by illness

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Dylan Wykes sees Rio Olympic hopes dashed by illness

Postby Stampie » Fri May 06, 2016 4:05 pm

Virus sidelines Canadian marathoner for weeks ahead of qualifying window

I got this right from Dylan's personal FB page and it is a bitter pill to swallow. Deep inside I was hoping he would qualify after a failed attempt in Japan last December, but knew ast the deadline loomed, his chances are becoming slimmer. In the end it wasn't the nagging injuries that disabled him, but a frick'n virus! He has yet to complete a full since London in 2012. I saw and spoke to him last year when the qualifying times were announced and he was super please that it was attainable, given his wows in Boston last year
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Dylan Wykes sees Rio Olympic hopes dashed by illness

Postby ian » Fri May 06, 2016 4:17 pm

I wasn't aware of the virus but figured that with his string of injuries, it would be unlikely for him to get back in form this spring. While this is undoubtedly disappointing for him, he's at least already established in the "real world" and he's young enough to have the option of taking one more crack at it in four years, a combination that doesn't apply to most of the current generation of Canadian Olympic marathon hopefuls.

Return to “General Running Discussion”