Around the Bay - Who's in....

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Around the Bay - Who's in....

Postby La » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:29 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
ian wrote:
tayken wrote:Do you even know what the definition of the word is? My point is, if she cheats at races, makes you wonder what else she cheats in. Get it now????

Because I dare to question the extent of your outrage, I'm therefore dumb. Got it. Time to update my settings on the board...

:lol:

A particularly funny comment given what ian does for a living. :lol:

Hey, tayken, dial it back a notch. It's not appropriate to attack or belittle people in this forum.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 pm

La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
ian wrote:
tayken wrote:Do you even know what the definition of the word is? My point is, if she cheats at races, makes you wonder what else she cheats in. Get it now????

Because I dare to question the extent of your outrage, I'm therefore dumb. Got it. Time to update my settings on the board...

Hey, tayken, dial it back a notch. It's not appropriate to attack or belittle people in this forum.

Agreed, and I was going to say something to that effect but figured that again, given what ian does for a living, he'd probably handle it better than I would. :lol:
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:36 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
Dstew wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:on the other hand, common running superstition says it's bad luck to even wear the race shirt if you didn't finish the race, so you certainly can't have a time and medal if you didn't complete it. :lol: 8)

But what is the race is cancelled due to a dangerous thunderstorm? Actually happened to me last year. Did not wear the race shirt until this year as it felt "wrong".

One year I registered for Beat the Blerch, and I didn't end up running it but a friend picked up my kit for me.... which included the shirt and all the swag. The shirt was awesome... long sleeved, and high quality. I've worn it ever since. Sometimes people see it and ask me about the race so I always tell them I didn't actually run it... there is a twinge of guilt... but it's such a great shirt so I keep doing it!!!

What tipped the scales in my case was that I asked myself, if I needed a new technical shirt, how much would have paid for that? Instead of NIke it has the name of the race. Plus, the race also came with a head lamp as it was to be run in the dark and never once hesitated to use the swag. If you want to avoid such questions, do as I did and that is to go into such a long and detailed description of a race I have run that eventually, people live in fear I may share another race story with them. :D

I have to laugh at myself - someone cheats to finish but does not really deny any other runner a podium finish, etc and that is not a big deal. In the race, see someone wear the race shirt and I am struck with moral indignation of how dare they tempt the fates. I even catch myself doing so and scolding myself for being so silly. :oops:

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Jwolf wrote:It does seem that many people do not get why cheating in races in this way would be a big deal to other people. It does not fall in the same category as cheating on a test, for sure

as in, you think cheating on a test is worse than cheating in a race? or just that they're different things?

for me, the 'big deal' of it seems to vary depending on the circumstances and the degree of cheating. what was the motivation, what were the consequences, etc. for both academic cheating and athletic cheating.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 pm

dee, this story reminded me of the time I was struggling around 20K and saw you by the side of the road and you gave me a lift back to the start. I posted a DNF that year as I did NOT cross the finish line.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:13 pm

La wrote:dee, this story reminded me of the time I was struggling around 20K and saw you by the side of the road and you gave me a lift back to the start. I posted a DNF that year as I did NOT cross the finish line.

yes! i actually don't think it's uncommon - i know a friend who got a ride once, as well. certainly better than waiting for the shuttle. which is exactly why i thought "there are other ways of connecting with your family...". but now that i've read the more detailed article, i see that she's acknowledged that she wanted the experience of crossing the finish line. in the canadian running article, she'd said, "I wanted to get across the line and find my mom in the audience".

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:21 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
ian wrote:

Agreed, and I was going to say something to that effect but figured that again, given what ian does for a living, he'd probably handle it better than I would. :lol:

Uhmm, Ian clearly implied Tayken was "creepy" in his post - exactly who was attacking and belittling whom?
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:47 pm

Especially when she had done the race twice before in the past. Not like she is newbie attempting ATB for the 1st time. Her excuse is BS

Jwolf wrote:It does seem that many people do not get why cheating in races in this way would be a big deal to other people. It does not fall in the same category as cheating on a test, for sure-- but many people don't seem to get that these events are athletic competitions and that times do matter. Did she really not get the fact that crossing the line so early would put here in the top 10 finishers of the race, and thus cause some suspicion? It seems from the interviews that she really was that naive-- or maybe it's all an act, I'm not sure.
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Wow....sounds like you know what I do for a living then? I'll rather you be neutral and deal with the responses in a fair way, rather than attempt to take sides. By calling me out...you just attacked / belittled me. My initial comments were not directed at ian, but he decided to come after me.

Did you miss that part? News flash, what a person does for a living doesn't make them a saint. Cops meant to serve n protect still do nasty things, doctors have been found guilty of improper conduct. Judges do / say dumb things like latest one that told the young lady she should have kept her legs closed. Need I go on?

So please next time, leave a person to handle their own matter, rather than butt in whilst ignoring crucial points.

La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
ian wrote:

Last edited by tayken on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:54 pm

...but she did this twice already in the past i.e. crossed the finished line in times that were not remotely close to the ones she was hoping to claim. She really needs to try and come up with a better story, because her excuse stinks

deerdree wrote:
La wrote:dee, this story reminded me of the time I was struggling around 20K and saw you by the side of the road and you gave me a lift back to the start. I posted a DNF that year as I did NOT cross the finish line.

yes! i actually don't think it's uncommon - i know a friend who got a ride once, as well. certainly better than waiting for the shuttle. which is exactly why i thought "there are other ways of connecting with your family...". but now that i've read the more detailed article, i see that she's acknowledged that she wanted the experience of crossing the finish line. in the canadian running article, she'd said, "I wanted to get across the line and find my mom in the audience".
On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Wow....sounds like you know what I do for a living then? I'll rather you be neutral and deal with the responses in a fair way, rather than attempt to take sides. By calling me out...you just attacked / belittled me. My initial comments were not directed at ian, but he decided to come after me.

Did you miss that part? See Mark.AU comments above, he seems to be the only one that isn't being biased, and managed to comprehend who started the mud sling.

La wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:
ian wrote:

On the books for 2017

Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Locking the thread before it goes further downhill. Sometimes it is just better to back away from the keyboard....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “General Running Discussion”