Questions and comments about the forum or the web site
Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

"visibility of threads"

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:39 pm

so as to not hijack jgore's thread....

bruyère wrote:
Irongirl wrote:
bruyère wrote:OK, in my first official act as a Moderator, I'm going to make a big brave decision and move it!!!

Get more visibility for our jgore...

:D

ETA: Look! I did it!!! Hope that's OK with you jgore... I figured this wouldn't be a very contentious move....

I didn't suggest to move it so that he would get more visibility - I suggested to move it because it's clearly a running related question.

No, you didn't, and I didn't imply that you did. I saw your reason for moving it. I opted to move it for more visibiltiy, and because it's running related. I know for a fact that at least one Torontonian doesn't read NRR much at all, so I figured it might get more relevant answers here.

OK, back to the thread. Don't think we need to discuss why it was moved any more, unless someone wants it moved again! :)

I don't understand the "visibility" thing.

Sure, some people read only GRD. That's their choice.

There's a reason for the sections of the board. If there wasn't the sections, we would have a jumble of threads dealing with MnG's, race reports, *$, kayaking, et c. all together.

If you post something in another section and really want someone in particular to see it - pm them, or, post a link to the thread in your daily thread post.

The whole "visibility" thing is what started the complaints after I talked about moving Karen's thread.
Last edited by Irongirl on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: "visibility of threads"

Postby Jwolf » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:44 pm

Irongirl wrote:If you post something in another section and really want someone in particular to see it - pm them, or, post a link to the thread in your daily thread post.

I agree. If anything, things get lost in GRD because of so much traffic-- there's a reason for the other boards.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:53 pm

I never have that issue, as I choose to "view posts since last visit"...

Why make a big deal out of it? :wink:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:57 pm

trixiee wrote:I never have that issue, as I choose to "view posts since last visit"...

asking a question isn't making a big deal, is it?

I didn't want to highjack the other thread.

I'm curious as to why people think that GRD is "higher visibility"?
i run for me.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Irongirl wrote:I'm curious as to why people think that GRD is "higher visibility"?

I think because some folks don't use "View posts since ...", read GRD and the forums related to what they're interested in and miss ones they don't think will contain threads of interest to them.

I use "View posts ..."

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Irongirl wrote:
trixiee wrote:I never have that issue, as I choose to "view posts since last visit"...

asking a question isn't making a big deal, is it?

I didn't want to highjack the other thread.

I'm curious as to why people think that GRD is "higher visibility"?

OK, so, apparently my first move wasn't as non-contentious as I hoped.

I thought I made it clear in my post in the original thread that I know for a fact that at least one Torontonian who I thought could help does not follow NRR threads. That was what I meant by "visibility" here.

Please note the following two sentences:
If it did not also fit in GRD, I obviously would not have moved it there.

If it clearly did fit in NRR and no move was merited, but I thought someone should see it, I would have done something about that "privately".

You suggested that I move it. I did -- for the reason you suggested, and for a reason that I thought fit as well.

I hope that helps explain and answer your concerns, Kiza.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:05 pm

I rarely read NRR and I live in Toronto...but I don't think Heather is referring to me. 8)

However, I haven't used "view posts since last visit" because it gives me too many posts I don't have the time to read.

I guess that doesn't clear things up at all, does it? :oops:

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:10 pm

RayMan wrote:I rarely read NRR and I live in Toronto...but I don't think Heather is referring to me. 8)

However, I haven't used "view posts since last visit" because it gives me too many posts I don't have the time to read.

I guess that doesn't clear things up at all, does it? :oops:

I always "view posts since last vist"...but cuz I visit a few times a day...it makes it pretty easy for me to see what posts I want to read.

For people who only visit a couple times a week I could see how this could be somewhat overwhelming.

I know that C-Moss has this problem as she only posts once in a while :wink: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:22 pm

woah guys, way to question Heather's very first act as a mod. Causing the new mods to second guess themselves is not exactly what I had in mind when I asked for support. :P

As I've said before, one person might opt to move/edit a thread that someone else may not... and that's ok. I want the mods to be able to make those calls using their best judgment, without having to worry about getting called out for it or questioned on every little decision...

personally, I agree with the decision to move it to GRD, as it is running related.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:41 pm

Well, I'm just throwing out ideas here, but what about they wrestle for it to decide why it should have been moved.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:42 pm

drghfx wrote:Well, I'm just throwing out ideas here, but what about they wrestle for it to decide why it should have been moved.

Are you suggesting jello, mud or oil ??
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:59 pm

HCiD wrote:
drghfx wrote:Well, I'm just throwing out ideas here, but what about they wrestle for it to decide why it should have been moved.

Are you suggesting jello, mud or oil ??

Yes and Bud Lite!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:05 pm

klewlis wrote:woah guys, way to question Heather's very first act as a mod. Causing the new mods to second guess themselves is not exactly what I had in mind when I asked for support. :P

As I've said before, one person might opt to move/edit a thread that someone else may not... and that's ok. I want the mods to be able to make those calls using their best judgment, without having to worry about getting called out for it or questioned on every little decision...

personally, I agree with the decision to move it to GRD, as it is running related.

Ahhh...we're just "testing" the new Mods just to make sure they're "up to snuff" :wink: :wink:

So far...they pass :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:58 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
klewlis wrote:woah guys, way to question Heather's very first act as a mod. Causing the new mods to second guess themselves is not exactly what I had in mind when I asked for support. :P

Ahhh...we're just "testing" the new Mods just to make sure they're "up to snuff" :wink: :wink:

So far...they pass :D :D

not once was I questioning the move of the thread (heck, I suggested it).....the point about "visibility" got me thinking back to seeing that a couple of times...

instead of just posting a thread asking about it, I thought I would give some context.

personally, I'm all for moving threads to the right areas. (hence why I am pushing for people to stop posting in GRD for "visibility" purposes!)
i run for me.

q
Bill Crothers

Postby q » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:39 am

IG wrote:I don't understand the "visibility" thing.

and then just a few posts later...

IG wrote: I'm curious as to why people think that GRD is "higher visibility"?

ALSO: See the thread title.

As I read this, this has nothing to do with the thread move. IG only asked a question about why some people (the general public, for lack of a better term) think GRD is higher "visiblity". Yes bruyère used it in this instantance, but it's not like that is the first time that this issue was mentioned.

I pretty sure IG would have PMed bruyère if her question was for only meant for her. I believe IG is not afraid to PM.

IG did not once ask why the thread was moved, nor for an explanation of the move. She in fact she agreed with the move ("heck", she even suggested it :wink: ).
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:59 am

Visibility? i think the more appropriately placed a thread is, the more likely I'll be to read it, if it interests me. :)

I also use the "view posts since last visit", but as i scroll down the list, i'm mostly looking at which category the thread is in along with the subject. I rarely click on an nrr topic, mng only when it applies to me, etc.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:27 am

Re: Visibility. The mods and/or Admins probably have more detailed info than what is on the index page but based on topics and posts (not true indicators, I agree) NRR is the most visible with the General Running Section a close second. I would suggest posting something in some of the lesser used sections would not have the same visibilty. Yes, if you use "View posts since last visit" it doesn't matter, the visibilty is the same. However, for those who don't, they are probably very selective in which sections they view. For any topic I would suggest the greatest visibilty would be in NRR or GR because they are the most active sections.

I'm just saying.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:31 am

Dennis - I agree with you - those are the two areas that have the most traffic - BUT, if I was looking for a MnG thread, I wouldn't look in GRD.

All I'm saying is that by not posting in the right section, you risk having people NOT see your thread because they can't find it. Also, by not posting in the right section, you clog up the posts that belong there.
i run for me.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:35 am

My motto is, if I absolutely know where to place a new thread (i.e. Darksider, M&G, etc.) I will place it there for general information .... If in doubt and/or I wanted the biggest possible view, I will likely place it in GRD and let one of the Mods move it accordingly, preferably after a few hours or day, to the appropriate location ... and, if they leave the trail saying that the thread has been moved, It's all good ...

now, back to Dennis's wrestling match ... :wink: :P

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:39 am

Generally speaking, GRD is the most "visible" because it is at the top (even though NRR has more posts/topics). Since not everyone uses the "view posts since last visit" function, posts in there are probably more likely to be read first.

If there is a subject/topic/post that people feel they want to be read/responded to immediately (i.e., it's a time-sensitive issue), I don't think there's anything wrong with it being posted in GRD and then moved to the appropriate section when it is no longer urgent.

Thoughts?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:40 am

Lä wrote:Generally speaking, GRD is the most "visible" because it is at the top (even though NRR has more posts/topics). Since not everyone uses the "view posts since last visit" function, posts in there are probably more likely to be read first.

If there is a subject/topic/post that people feel they want to be read/responded to immediately (i.e., it's a time-sensitive issue), I don't think there's anything wrong with it being posted in GRD and then moved to the appropriate section when it is no longer urgent.

Thoughts?

Umm, I wish I had said that ... :? :wink:

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:49 am

Lä wrote:Generally speaking, GRD is the most "visible" because it is at the top (even though NRR has more posts/topics). Since not everyone uses the "view posts since last visit" function, posts in there are probably more likely to be read first.

Thoughts?

Like the thread on Kayaking?

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:58 am

Thoughts?

I think that's pretty fair (and probably what most people are thinking of when they post there). Well put!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:13 am

Irongirl wrote:All I'm saying is that by not posting in the right section, you risk having people NOT see your thread because they can't find it. Also, by not posting in the right section, you clog up the posts that belong there.

I agree 100%.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:54 am

Lä wrote:If there is a subject/topic/post that people feel they want to be read/responded to immediately (i.e., it's a time-sensitive issue), I don't think there's anything wrong with it being posted in GRD and then moved to the appropriate section when it is no longer urgent.

I do this myself, with regards to site announcements and stuff... I will often put them in the GRD first and then the Site News second, because I know that more people read the GRD than the site news.

Visibility is really a matter of perception... and individual to the users. If there were something really important for everyone to see but it's a darksider thing and gets put only in the darkside, lots of people (myself included) won't see it... so why not put it in the GRD as well? But a darksider may say that's unnecessary... only because they already read the darkside regularly. ;) If that makes sense... we each have different boards that we read more than others. But we ALL read the GRD.

I don't think it's an issue worth discussing ad nauseam. As long as people try to post in the appropriate section for their topics, and the mods move any that they deem necessary, it's not a big deal...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”