looking for ideas...

Questions and comments about the forum or the web site
ultraslacker
Site Admin

looking for ideas...

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:01 pm

thinking about ways to improve RM (the bigger site, not just the forum) and add more content value.

Some of the things that have been discussed in the past include:
training logs
race logs
articles
more training programs

Any input about these ideas? Any other ideas? Things you'd like to see? Things that currently bug you? Directions you'd like RM to take?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:43 pm

*listening to pins drop*

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:46 pm

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm complaining but I would love if someone (don't ask me...I'm so low tech it's a wonder I can log in here :roll: :roll: :wink: ) could take the great recipes that have been posted recently and put them into the appropriate "sticky" spots.

When I'm looking for a great new healthy recipe I come here first...and find scrolling through the pages of new entries a bit time consuming.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:48 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:I hope I'm not sounding like I'm complaining but I would love if someone (don't ask me...I'm so low tech it's a wonder I can log in here :roll: :roll: :wink: ) could take the great recipes that have been posted recently and put them into the appropriate "sticky" spots.

When I'm looking for a great new healthy recipe I come here first...and find scrolling through the pages of new entries a bit time consuming.

ah... we will have to recruit one of the new mods to do this. Jacc was keeping it up to date before... now that the mods have changed it's been neglected!

(any mods want to volunteer?)

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:49 pm

Don't you have enough to keep you busy, Holly? :wink:

A training log would save me having to log my runs on other sites because sometimes I forget. :roll:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:50 pm

Just1 wrote:Don't you have enough to keep you busy, Holly? :wink:

yeah but since I'm not running these days I figure I should do something useful. :P

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:51 pm

klewlis wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:I hope I'm not sounding like I'm complaining but I would love if someone (don't ask me...I'm so low tech it's a wonder I can log in here :roll: :roll: :wink: ) could take the great recipes that have been posted recently and put them into the appropriate "sticky" spots.

ah... we will have to recruit one of the new mods to do this. Jacc was keeping it up to date before... now that the mods have changed it's been neglected!

Do we need a Mod for this task...or just someone who's tech savy and organized.

If so...I nominate Redhead :D :D :D
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:52 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
klewlis wrote:

they have to have mod powers in order to edit the recipe threads.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:55 pm

klewlis wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
klewlis wrote:

they have to have mod powers in order to edit the recipe threads.

Oh....I didn't know... :roll: 8)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:55 pm

I found the photo uploading thing to be a bit over my head technically, so I never entered any photos there and rarely look at that section. Is there an easier platform for that stuff (or just a way to post instructions for the barely computer literate among us)?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:56 pm

dgrant wrote:I found the photo uploading thing to be a bit over my head technically, so I never entered any photos there and rarely look at that section. Is there an easier platform for that stuff (or just a way to post instructions for the barely computer literate among us)?

we're using that one because it was free and recommended by joe... to change platforms now would be far more work than it's worth (we'd have to somehow transfer all the current accounts and photos).

I don't see it being any more difficult to use than the popular sites like flickr and photobucket...? Are others finding the same problem?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:54 pm

ok... so this is like pulling teeth. first I asked the mods and no one had anything to say, then I posted it here and I still can't get any excitement? :P

Apparently RM is just fine the way it is and we shouldn't add or expand anything? :P

or should I just decide what changes to make and surprise you guys?

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:07 pm

um, um, um.......... still thinking. :think:
Guess I don't have any complaints... or ideas. :roll:

Oh, and Jo-Jo, I so don't want to organize recipes.
-:¦:-.•:*♥*:•.-:¦:--
"If you can’t fly, run.
If you can’t run, walk.
If you can’t walk, crawl,
but by all means keep moving."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:12 pm

klewlis wrote:ok... so this is like pulling teeth. first I asked the mods and no one had anything to say, then I posted it here and I still can't get any excitement? :P

Apparently RM is just fine the way it is and we shouldn't add or expand anything? :P

I thought you just wanted comments on the design (not the content). Let me put my thinking cap on.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:13 pm

mike rµns wrote:
klewlis wrote:ok... so this is like pulling teeth. first I asked the mods and no one had anything to say, then I posted it here and I still can't get any excitement? :P

I thought you just wanted comments on the design (not the content). Let me put my thinking cap on.

oh... I'm looking for both. :)

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:24 pm

klewlis wrote:
dgrant wrote:I found the photo uploading thing to be a bit over my head technically, so I never entered any photos there and rarely look at that section. Is there an easier platform for that stuff (or just a way to post instructions for the barely computer literate among us)?

we're using that one because it was free and recommended by joe... to change platforms now would be far more work than it's worth (we'd have to somehow transfer all the current accounts and photos).

I don't see it being any more difficult to use than the popular sites like flickr and photobucket...? Are others finding the same problem?

At first I had problems figuring out the uploads but once I did it a few times, it's a piece of cake! I compress the picture files as well so it is faster to upload via dial up modem & faster to view as well.
Life in the slow lane!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Re: looking for ideas...

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:35 pm

I am always hoping that someone would be so kind as to post up on all the major running events around the world for in one thread for 2007, 2008, .... y'know, reporting on all the big names in running & their world rankings, etc. Something similar to what I do for cyclocross in the 3 (soon to be 4!) threads in the Resources section.

I hope BK will post up on all the ITU events of 2008! It's great reading on the elites of the sport.

Running seems to be about personal accomplishments, glory, agony & of those around us or whom we know. But hardly any talk of the elite levels of the sport.
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:36 pm

Is a live chat room a possibility?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:38 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:Is a live chat room a possibility?

hm... we'd have to discuss that with Joe--the issue is bandwidth. We can consider it, and if Joe ok's it, then definitely. :)

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:42 pm

klewlis wrote:

hm... we'd have to discuss that with Joe--the issue is bandwidth. We can consider it, and if Joe ok's it, then definitely. :)

As much as the world loves FaceBook (FB), I am one of the few who do not like it. I am certain that many are on FB & it does explain a certain drop in traffic here. Perhaps this is just my silly thought in taking a small shot at FB!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:43 pm

Sir Crashalot wrote:
klewlis wrote:

As much as the world loves FaceBook (FB), I am one of the few who do not like it. I am certain that many are on FB & it does explain a certain drop in traffic here. Perhaps this is just my silly thought in taking a small shot at FB!

our traffic hasn't been dropping at all. I'm just looking for ways to expand.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:46 pm

Sometimes I find the daily thread a bit quiet ... perhaps it's just me! Oops!
I have been talking about RM at my local running shop, Pegasus. I hope am hope that they will sign up here & pass the good word around with their clientele about this place :D

blue_cup
Ben Johnson

Postby blue_cup » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:36 pm

klewlis wrote:

I like this idea!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 pm

blue_cup wrote:
klewlis wrote:

I like this idea!

It's a good idea and nice for current members... but still adds no content to the site.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am

Could have an article of the month type of thing & then build an archive from it....

Written up by the writer/volunteer of the month, open to any subject pertaining to sports, training, nutrition, sports psychology... something sports like...

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”