problem solving

Questions and comments about the forum or the web site
RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:59 pm

IronColl wrote:Interesting idea. I think it would have to be very black and whilte what is acceptable and what isn't.

My husband is a moderator on a message forum and what they do when topics get heated is throw them in a separate "heated discussion forum".
Is that like a "gloves off, no rules" kind of area? Interesting concept.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 pm

IronColl wrote:Interesting idea. I think it would have to be very black and white what is acceptable and what isn't.

I thought it *was* black and white. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:00 pm

klewlis wrote:
HCiD wrote:
klewlis wrote:Someone has suggested temporary suspension periods for people who blatantly break the rules. Say, a 2 day cooling off period. (and I mean for the cases where someone directly insults, flames, etc... not just for saying something that *might* be offensive to *someone*.)

What would you guys think of that?

Like a penalty box ??? :roll: where all parties involved will be suspended ???

as in, their accounts would be de-activated for a given time--they could still read RM but couldn't post or send pm's until the account is re-activated.

too much?

like a warning, minor penalty, major penalty, game misconduct and full suspension ?? as in hockey ?? :roll:

As long as it is consistently applied .... and, to ensure that it is not being "subjective" ....
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:01 pm

running angel wrote:
IronColl wrote:Interesting idea. I think it would have to be very black and whilte what is acceptable and what isn't.

My husband is a moderator on a message forum and what they do when topics get heated is throw them in a separate "heated discussion forum".

Pretty much.

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 pm

klewlis wrote:Someone has suggested temporary suspension periods for people who blatantly break the rules. Say, a 2 day cooling off period. (and I mean for the cases where someone directly insults, flames, etc... not just for saying something that *might* be offensive to *someone*.)

I agree.
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 pm

running angel wrote:

That could be interesting .. :think::think:

Will everyone else be able to follow it, but not necessarily able to post in this arena ?? :wink: :angel:

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:03 pm

IronColl wrote:
running angel wrote:

Pretty much.

I've been on a board where they had an area like that.

It didn't work.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Samantha wrote:
IronColl wrote:
running angel wrote:

Pretty much.

It didn't work.

what happened?

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:05 pm

klewlis wrote:
HCiD wrote:

Like a penalty box ??? :roll: where all parties involved will be suspended ???

as in, their accounts would be de-activated for a given time--they could still read RM but couldn't post or send pm's until the account is re-activated.

too much?

Not really.

Any forum that I've been on where members have broken the rules the thread is pulled and the decision is voted on by the moderators. Any action has to be approved by all moderators with no moderator disagreeing. Generally what happens is the first time a rule is broken the person is giving an informal first written warning. The second time they get a box by their name (the forum software allowed this) along with another written warning. The third time they get banned.

Unless you have a clear consequence as to what happens when you break the rules people will still keep doing it.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Don't like it.

1) It sounds too much like kindergarten and/or censorship.
2) It might be tough to police what is or is not an offense.
3) It's unlikely to work, anyway. Some people here I think wouldn't be deterred by it.

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Kelodie » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Could we lock a thread as soon as a personal insult is made? Would that work?
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:11 pm

Kelodie wrote:Could we lock a thread as soon as a personal insult is made? Would that work?

What I don't like about that is that sometimes there is some perfectly good discussion going on, sometimes controversial yes, but good discussion, and then someone hurls a personal insult. It's not fair to those who are having the discussion.

What I'd hate to see is people too afraid to bring up or discuss anything controversial.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:12 pm

How about a judgment by peers before sentencing? Set up a jury to discuss offenses in the forum and then suggest appropriate responses?

In most cases of fights i think of a couple of things i was taught early on.

1. Always keep in mind the golden rule
2. Never fight with pigs....you both get dirty and pigs love it.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Kelodie wrote:Could we lock a thread as soon as a personal insult is made? Would that work?

What I don't like about that is that sometimes there is some perfectly good discussion going on, sometimes controversial yes, but good discussion, and then someone hurls a personal insult. It's not fair to those who are having the discussion.

What I'd hate to see is people too afraid to bring up or discuss anything controversial.

so what do we do in those cases?

We can delete/edit the post and pm the author... I don't have a problem with doing that, but it becomes an issue if no mod happens to be around at that time, and by the time we get to it there are already 6 irate responses. Which is why I sometimes think we need a harsher deterrent...?

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:14 pm

Sounds fair, Holly. The rules aren't all that complex or onerous, it boils down to be nice and respect one another, period. If folks can't do that, or restrain themsleves, then a "time out" is likely warranted.

Scott
Next Up:
Just get through the next year without more setbacks
Proud Supporter of our Troops Overseas

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Jwolf wrote:

Don't like it.

3) It's unlikely to work, anyway. Some people here I think wouldn't be deterred by it.
As for the kindergarten comment - yes, I can totally see that. However, if we play like kindergarteners, then maybe kindergarten type "punishments" are appropriate.

Scott
Bill Crothers

Postby Scott » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:18 pm

running angel wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Don't like it.

As for the kindergarten comment - yes, I can totally see that. However, if we play like kindergarteners, then maybe kindergarten type "punishments" are appropriate.

That was where my "time out" comment was coming from
Next Up:

Just get through the next year without more setbacks

Proud Supporter of our Troops Overseas

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:20 pm

I like the temporary suspension solution. For the same reasons as outlined by others.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:22 pm

And, as it turns out, sometimes, nothing is resolved and the offending parties may continue it on another thread in the future ... :?

Madame Bourette
Jerome Drayton

Postby Madame Bourette » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:26 pm

It happened today. The thread was a few pages long and pretty much debated. Then, someone posted something I disagreed. I didn't want to go there so I didn't reply but someone did it with a free insult. Thread was closed. Good for everybody.

I think we should use common sense In that case, it wa obvious even for me who like some controverse once in a while.

An example of a thread should not be shut down is when I posted about wearing an iPod during a race. I did write something that offended the concerned people but it was not a free insult. I had a point of view. I just didn't say it right. I edited it later and am more careful now.
"Ok, j'vais l'faire le maudit Ironman!" North of Hélène, Dec 15, 2008.

Running Mania moderator-in-training

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:29 pm

Iron Terrible wrote:

It happened today. The thread was a few pages long and pretty much debated. Then, someone posted something I disagreed. I didn't want to go there so I didn't reply but someone did it with a free insult. Thread was closed. Good for everybody.

I think we should use common sense In that case, it wa obvious even for me who like some controverse once in a while.

An example of a thread should not be shut down is when I posted about wearing an iPod during a race. I did write something that offended the concerned people but it was not a free insult. I had a point of view. I just didn't say it right. I edited it later and am more careful now.

And I think our mods have good discretion--they can tell the difference between a blatant breaking of the rules and a comment that might be offensive to someone but doesn't break the rules.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:32 pm

klewlis wrote:
Samantha wrote:
IronColl wrote:
running angel wrote:

Pretty much.

It didn't work.

what happened?

the ugliness got worse and I mean WORSE. It fractured the board completely. It got shut down and restarted (the board I mean). I know it's a gloves off, no rules area and in theory it should work but people don't seem to realize that in that type of situation if you can't defend yourself don't say it and if you can't take it don't dish it out. It just made things so much worse.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:34 pm

klewlis wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

We can delete/edit the post and pm the author... I don't have a problem with doing that, but it becomes an issue if no mod happens to be around at that time, and by the time we get to it there are already 6 irate responses. Which is why I sometimes think we need a harsher deterrent...?

Or do you need more mods?? I have no idea how many there are so I don't know if more are needed. Just a thought.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Samantha wrote:
klewlis wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Or do you need more mods?? I have no idea how many there are so I don't know if more are needed. Just a thought.

we have 6 mods, plus myself and Jen (though Jen is on mat leave right now ;).

We're spread geographically and almost all of us spend copious amounts of time here... so I would *think* it's enough... but maybe not? or maybe we are just waiting too long to intervene?

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:51 pm

klewlis wrote: or maybe we are just waiting too long to intervene?
That's the case some of the time, for sure. We've been known to give people the benefit of the doubt and hope that it will work itself out. Maybe it'll be another learning curve where we'll have to jump in sooner.

With 6 different mods (plus admins), there are 6 different opinions as well of whether or not things need to be done. Sometimes I let something go, come back and someone else has locked it. I, personally, think we have enough mods to handle the issues.

Return to “Site News, Questions, and Comments”